Why become a member? ×

Overwater sound?

Bassy

Hi, i love the look of Overwater's but i've read mixed reviews on their sound, especially the B string on the 5's. I played one but without it being plugged into an amp, it felt great and was very solidly made. So anyone out there who can give me some opinions about them?

[quote name='Bassy' post='239293' date='Jul 14 2008, 04:51 PM']Hi, i love the look of Overwater's but i've read mixed reviews on their sound, especially the B string on the 5's. I played one but without it being plugged into an amp, it felt great and was very solidly made. So anyone out there who can give me some opinions about them?[/quote]

I'm sitting next to someone who plays one. I asked about the B and he said: Good. Clear. Solid. Overall it's defined, even, hifi.

What model are you looking at?

Neck through or bolt on, it doesn't matter to me, i'm more interested in the sound of the pickups and preamp. I'm trying to find out what is the Overwater sound? Are there any basses that they are comparable to?

[quote name='bremen' post='239298' date='Jul 14 2008, 04:54 PM']I'm sitting next to someone who plays one. I asked about the B and he said: Good. Clear. Solid. Overall it's defined, even, hifi.

What model are you looking at?[/quote]

I play an Overwater Progress III Fretless 5 - sounds amazing - like a fretless should

The tone controls and pickup sweep give you the ability to dial in pretty much any sound you'll be needing - as you previously mention the build quaility and attention to detail are second to none.

I tend to use the bridge pick up more.

The sound of the bass comes primarily from the combination of woods used and the way you play it - the preamp and eq just give you some additional control.

If it sounds good acoustically then it'll sound good plugged in providing you're not doing anything crazy with your amp settings.

Recently played one of the newer Perception Series - these are great basses too :)

Edited by jwbassman

Thanks guys.

[quote name='jwbassman' post='239340' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:23 PM']I play an Overwater Progress III Fretless 5 - sounds amazing - like a fretless should

The tone controls and pickup sweep give you the ability to dial in pretty much any sound you'll be needing - as you previously mention the build quaility and attention to detail are second to none.

I tend to use the bridge pick up more.

The sound of the bass comes primarily from the combination of woods used and the way you play it - the preamp and eq just give you some additional control.

If it sounds good acoustically then it'll sound good plugged in providing you're not doing anything crazy with your amp settings.

Recently played one of the newer Perception Series - these are great basses too :)[/quote]

A good friend of mine has had 3 or 4 of them. At first he thought they were great, but the niggles you mentioned in your original post about the B string were his thoughts too...very lacking! His last was a 34" scale, but even so, with the experience they have, they couldn't produce a decent low B on his bass.

The electronics to my ears are very un-exciting, and talking them into using anything but what they want to is very very hard!

That having been said, i've never picked up another bass that felt as nice. They feel great and really beg to be played. But i would want to specify what electronics were used, and i don't think i'd get a very favourable response.

Also...for the price they sell at there's a lot out there to compete with them!

Just my thoughts and experience, and that of an ex-overwater user.

They sure are fine basses but I find them to be a bit non-descript and generic sounding. Not like say, when you hear an Alembic, a Status, a Kubicki, a Wal, you know exactly what you're hearing. Overwater basses seem a tad more generic, though that may not be a bad thing for some people. The 5 string I played had a B that was a bit lacking. It was there, but a bit quite and mushy sounding.

I have both a Progress 7 and a Jazz 5 and I wouldn't be without them. They are the most amazing instruments and I've never had any problems with the low B on either. Having said that, the 7 is 36" scale and the 5 is a 35" so maybe that's why.

The Jazz has an East pre-amp so the sounds are so sweet and infinitely variable as we've all come to expect from John. The 7 has Overwater's own electronics and admittedlt the sounds aren't as flexible as the Jazz but it's such a great sounding bass, EQ tweeks are rarely required.

If I had the cash, i would have an entire arsenal of Overwater basses.

Ok, i'm confused now. I know Overwater have an improved eq on their current basses, so maybe that would sort out the B? The pickups look about EMG size, so i imagine you could always replace them with Nords/ Barts etc. But considering the price of Overwaters why should you? They seem to be a bit of a marmite bass!

Edited by Bassy

[quote name='Bassy' post='239833' date='Jul 15 2008, 10:58 AM']Ok, i'm confused now. I know Overwater have an improved eq on their current basses, so maybe that would sort out the B? The pickups look about EMG size, so i imagine you could always replace them with Nords/ Barts etc. But considering the price of Overwaters why should you? They seem to be a bit of a marmite bass![/quote]

My mate's 5 is a 35" scale, fwiw.

'non-descript and generic sounding' is probably fair, though one man's 'generic' is another man's 'versatile'. He also has an old Jazz and he says that the Overwater doesn't have the 'character' of the Jazz, but neither does it have its annoying characteristics, like an uneven tone from the G to the E, or a certain mushiness to the lowest few frets on the E.

edited for speelingg

Edited by bremen

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4140&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4140&st=0[/url] Check out the sound clip on here, great sound. Also, search Jack Casey on YouTube, he has some great videos on there with a great overwater sound.
Kevin Glasgow [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTWtsFxkQhw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTWtsFxkQhw[/url] Although, I dont like this, it just sounds electric gu**ar!! Awesome awesome playing though!

Whats the easiest way to record a quick clip on a PC. I don't have access to Digital Performer or anything at the moment, as college is off at the mo. I will plug mine into the computer and do a clip though if someone tells me the best way to do so..

The low B on my Overwater 6 string is immense, huge fat tone, and really shakes the room! Not floppy at all, very nice! Mine is a 35", and my friend has a 36" 6 string, and that is great too!!

Btw, Mr Chris Wood.... you don't fancy selling a certain 7 string do you?? :) Heeeey, its worth a try!!

You can't go wrong with Overwater anyway, at the end of the day, they're a custom bass manufacturer, and will build a bass however you want, and will go out of there way to achieve what you want.

[quote name='woodster' post='240152' date='Jul 15 2008, 03:53 PM']Hey Mr D....

I've thought about it on a few occasions but haven't been brave enough as I think I'd really miss it!!

You'll be the first to know....[/quote]

No problem Mr W,

I am hopefully getting a Conklin GT7 Fretless in the next couple of weeks, but your Progress is very very nice, and id rather have one over a Conklin any day :)! Heeey, worth a try anyway, I wouldn't sell it if I were you though.. I must have a play on it one of these days!!

Cheers! :huh: Take care mate!

[quote name='overwater#1' post='239956' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:43 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4140&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4140&st=0[/url] Check out the sound clip on here, great sound. Also, search Jack Casey on YouTube, he has some great videos on there with a great overwater sound.
Kevin Glasgow [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTWtsFxkQhw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTWtsFxkQhw[/url] Although, I dont like this, it just sounds electric gu**ar!! Awesome awesome playing though!

Whats the easiest way to record a quick clip on a PC. I don't have access to Digital Performer or anything at the moment, as college is off at the mo. I will plug mine into the computer and do a clip though if someone tells me the best way to do so..

The low B on my Overwater 6 string is immense, huge fat tone, and really shakes the room! Not floppy at all, very nice! Mine is a 35", and my friend has a 36" 6 string, and that is great too!!

Btw, Mr Chris Wood.... you don't fancy selling a certain 7 string do you?? :) Heeeey, its worth a try!!

You can't go wrong with Overwater anyway, at the end of the day, they're a custom bass manufacturer, and will build a bass however you want, and will go out of there way to achieve what you want.[/quote]

that jack casey is truely very good, also proof positive that an ashdown can sound great ( well i know i have the same one) but that overwater is lovely.

[quote name='overwater#1' post='240179' date='Jul 15 2008, 04:26 PM']No problem Mr W,

I am hopefully getting a Conklin GT7 Fretless in the next couple of weeks, but your Progress is very very nice, and id rather have one over a Conklin any day :)! Heeey, worth a try anyway, I wouldn't sell it if I were you though.. I must have a play on it one of these days!!

Cheers! :huh: Take care mate![/quote]

You'd be more than welcome any time buddy, if we're ever at the same end of the country, look me up

Chris

After lusting after an Overwater J series for a long long time, I finally managed to bag one earlier this year.

Mine is a 35" scale 5 string bolt on J series with the John East J-Retro.

Comparing this with my Fender Jazz V also with the J-retro is like comparing chalk and cheese.

The Overwater positively sings and is so playable its almost unbelievable. Chords sound great, little fills and runs leap out of your speakers and the response is so even across all five strings.

What does it sound like, well it sounds like a classic jazz bass on steroids.

Buy one, you will not be disappointed.

Hi
I have had a couple of 5vs a 6 and 4 fours, The 4s are 34" and the 5vs and 6 are all 36", The B strings sound unbelievably defined. All the basses sound different due to the woods used but i think the through neck helps the bass enormously. They have the overwater humbuckers and circuit which is the old vol, pan, tone tone. I haven't heard a B string sound as bassy or as clear on another bass I've tried, I am an Overwater nut though so take that as my opinion although other people always compliment them. The basses themselves overall have the same character, Very clear and solid cutting tone. Plenty of headroom and the necks play themselves. I prefer the 4s now but have gigged both the 5vs and the 6 extensively and have never had a complaint and as you've already heard the build quality is second to none. I cant recommend them enough, If i had the money i would own more.
Hope this helps
Dave

Hi again,
There seems to be a lot of discussion happening regarding electronics and sorting out of tones. IMHO the electronics should not really effect your sound. The bass construction and choice of woods should create the sound and the electronics should only fine tune or further tailor the sound to your tastes. I would definitely advise against buying a bass and expecting the EQ to sort out the tone. Chris at Overwater will put any combination of circuit and pickups you want in a bass so you could have the circuit of your dreams but Overwaters sound like overwaters, they will never sound like a Wal or a Status and thats why you should buy one, if you want a Wal or Status sound buy one of them.
But do some personal research go and play some and try out different scale lengths as that makes a hugh difference to the sound. As mentioned earlier all my Bs are 36' and have a clear fundamental and not clouded by harmonics and over aggresive EQ, but thats the sound I like.
MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Overwater! :)
Dave (honestly not on commission)

Edited by cd_david

Hi,
Have got a Jazz 5 like the Woodster - have had mine for four years now & have never been disappointed with it. It's got a 35" scale & the B sounds just as good as the B on my TRB5. It sounds exactly like a Jazz should.

I can't say enough good things about the bass & the guys at Overwater, but I think there's a couple of lads who've already posted on here who know that anyway....

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.

[quote name='cd_david' post='240660' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:01 AM']Hi again,
There seems to be a lot of discussion happening regarding electronics and sorting out of tones. IMHO the electronics should not really effect your sound. The bass construction and choice of woods should create the sound and the electronics should only fine tune or further tailor the sound to your tastes. I would definitely advise against buying a bass and expecting the EQ to sort out the tone. Chris at Overwater will put any combination of circuit and pickups you want in a bass so you could have the circuit of your dreams but Overwaters sound like overwaters, they will never sound like a Wal or a Status and thats why you should buy one, if you want a Wal or Status sound buy one of them.
But do some personal research go and play some and try out different scale lengths as that makes a hugh difference to the sound. As mentioned earlier all my Bs are 36' and have a clear fundamental and not clouded by harmonics and over aggresive EQ, but thats the sound I like.
MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Overwater! :huh:
Dave (honestly not on commission)[/quote]#1
Bought my first Overwater Progress 3 with a 36" scale neck last week from ..Leprechaun..and as already mentioned,the build quality and neck profile is top drawer,weight and strapped on balance are very good.
IMHO also,the above post says it all for me :)

Edited by bassmanady

[quote name='Marcus' post='239328' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:16 PM']The modern Overwater instruments are fantasticly well made and sound great...

IMHO (but after a fair bit of exposure to both brands) they sound similar to a Fodera[/quote]

Oh no they don't............