Why become a member? ×

I'm skint and in debt, a perfect time to buy a Fender Jazz right?

col.decker

I've bought many new pieces of gear.Some of the basses have been on a credit card, which was either quickly paid off as I had the cash (and wanted CC protection) or I spent a few months being careful and paid it off.

Either way, if you are clever and careful with credit cards, they can build your credit rating up.

Basically don't pay the minimum. If you have half of the cash ready for the bass, then the rest can be put on a card if you KNOW you will have the cash coming in monthly.

Edited by Musicman20

lol maybe I should have called this thread 'MIM Fender Marcus Miller jazz basses ... any good?'

I've hijacked my own thread by giving it a silly title. BTW I am well versed in the arts of debt, I have a mortage and 2 kids so my current welth is in the region of -£6million.

So these MM Jazz basses ... any good?

[b][i][color=#222222]"I'm skint and in debt, a perfect time to buy a Fender jazz right?"[/color][/i][/b]

Wrong.

[s]If you are skint and in debt it is the worst possible time to buy a Fender jazz ...or any other bass.

Play the bass that you already have, concentrate on the art of mastering the bass and become a better player instead - it's free.[/s]

Get a US Std Precision.

[b]Sensible answer: [/b]yeah, for god's sake don't max out your credit card on a bass you can't afford. Someone close to me did something very similar years ago, which led to payday-loan-type companies and trying to use one credit card to pay off another. It wasn't a pretty sight.

But yeah, I hear good things about those Miller Jazz basses!

They are O.K , but not that great in certain respects, to be honest with you.

As I previously alluded to, generally speaking they tend to be very heavy due to the body being made of dense Northern Ash as opposed to Swamp Ash, and the preamp is not that good either.

If you can pick up a used one for a good price and you can live with the weight or find a lighter example , they are decent enough , and you can upgrade the preamp to the East J Retro made for that model and improve the tone 100% .

Edited by Dingus

Credit Card maxing out is not a clever way to buy large things if you don't already have the cash.

You have to remember that minimum credit card repayments are the most profitable for the banks - look at it another way - if you bought a bass for £3,000 and only payed minimum payments for it, it could take 27years and cost £4,000 in interest (apart from the original three that you spent!)

If you must get a nice looking Jazz - these get very good reviews and only cost the same as a couple of nights at a pub! :) [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-jb-vintage-1975-bass-guitar-black--200784"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-jb-vintage-1975-bass-guitar-black--200784[/url]

I look at it this way. How much does going out on a weekend cost? Say a Saturday night out with the boys, night club and curry etc.... £100 I dunno , I haven't had that pleasure since I got married 24 years ago :-( get the Bass and stay in for a few weeks and it's paid for itself :-D

Don't do it. If that bass isn't worth the sacrifice of having no money for a while then it's just pointless. In my own case I bought ALL my basses for cash with the exception of the buzzard. That was thanks to the legal malarkey with the design, so although I'd saved about half of the cash, I got a quick loan from my father in law and lived on baked beans for 8 months whilst I paid him back. I don't regret it for a minute, but if I'd not liked the bass, nothing would have been worth the sacrifice as I couldn't do anything that cost money.

When my ex darted, I was left £12,000 ish in credit card debt.

All her doing. All in my name.

Now, that was 3 years ago. I sold about 15 instruments on here to get it down to that £12k

I've regretted a few things in my life.

Credit card debt is the biggest.

Loans, finance etc all stop. Credit cards are the biggest evil, it never stops.

My wife, who has faultless credit in her own right now cannot get credit on our address as my situation has f***ed it all up.

That guilt won't go away.

I'm ashamed of it.

Now, think about that bass, and if you 'need' it or 'want' it.

I'd sell all my basses tomorrow if it changed the situation with my credit.

Might look into getting rid of a few actually.