Why become a member? ×

What defines good bass

essexbasscat

I found this one a thought provoking read. For your entertainment BC :)

[url="http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/what_really_defines_good_bass_in_sound_reinforcement1/"]http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/what_really_defines_good_bass_in_sound_reinforcement1/[/url]

I must admit I found the comments about low frequency distortion quite illuminating. I haven't come across the idea before and I've seen no corroborating evidence, but It would certainly go some way towards explaining the difference between what some people call 'the piano' notes and the 'dub' notes, even though they are the same note (I won't say frequency, because that would just complicate things hideously).

Wonder if that concept also goes to explain the difference I heard between my GS112 cab and Alex Claber's Big Baby Two, when A/B'ing using the same amp and bass guitar into both. What's more, the difference was very apparent with all three amps I tried which were;
- Eden WT550
- Aguilar AG500
- Ashdown ABM900

The GS sounded like the cone was stuffed with wool, compared to the BB2, which seemed almost transparent by comparision. I hadn't come up with an explanation at the time, but maybe the low frequency distortion plays a part ?
I also wonder if low frequency distortion goes some way to explaining why some people find they can't hear the BB2 up close. I'm not here to defend the BB2, but just trying to find a way of understanding a puzzling phenomenon.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1396637310' post='2415997']Most bass I've heard at a gig was Chemical Brothers... incredible
[/quote]
For me it was Chris Squire's bass pedals at a Yes gig. Nearly rearranged my internal organs.

Just for clarity here, the link is not about the amount of bass, but it does touch on that topic
[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1396692467' post='2416436']
Is the greater efficiency of modern PAs the reason why the kick drum is always the loudest thing in the FOH mix these days ?

Now [i]that's[/i] a question I'd like answering.
[/quote]

May well be discussed in the link ?

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1396692467' post='2416436']
Is the greater efficiency of modern PAs the reason why the kick drum is always the loudest thing in the FOH mix these days ?

Now [i]that's[/i] a question I'd like answering.
[/quote]

The kick drum is usually the loudest thing in any mix. Most guidebooks on mixing advise setting the level of the kick and then working downwards from there.

Doesn't apply to all styles of music, of course. But it's a general rule of mixing.

PS: most bass I ever heard was LFO playing at a Warp Records gig in Sheffield during the early 90s. It literally shook the bottles behind the bar. Amazing :)

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1396700884' post='2416559']
Just for clarity here, the link is not about the amount of bass, but it does touch on that topic

May well be discussed in the link ?
[/quote]

in terms of the perceived excessive level being due to distortion ?

(sorry - didn't mean to hijack the thread EBC !)

Edited by ahpook