Why become a member? ×

Pre-EB Musicman Stingray - Which one?...

bakerster135

So after much saving I'm now in the market for a nice Pre-EB Stingray. I have two particular ones that I'm looking at, going for a similar price, but I'm just not sure what to go for!

The first is a 1979, has had a good refret at some point but all original aside from that. 3-bolt neck and through-body stringing, but a bit beat up condition-wise!

The other is a 1983, made in January and happens to be my year of birth bass! :-) This is all original aside from a brass nut, and in slightly better condition! This one has the 4-bolt neck and top-loading bridge.

If you were looking, which would you be more interested in!?...

Edited by bakerster135

I really like the late 70's Mocha finishes, maple board. Played on in this config in NYC last year, best Ray I think I've tried.

You might want to speak to Andy Baxter, he deals in vintage Fender/Musicman etc. and is usually well stocked, if he doesn't have what you want in then you can ask him to hunt it down. Pricey I guess but worth checking out anyway http://www.andybaxterbass.com/guitars.php?pc=1&cat=6

I guess I'm too late! :) If the sound is the same between both, and you plan to gig the instrument as a main bass, get the '83 if the neck is straight (there were QC issues around that time due to restricted supply of parts and CLF not putting truss rods in some necks - not Musicman's finest hour). If you just want it for occasional playing then get the '79.

I'm no authority, with my 2007 3 eq Stingray (sounds great to me), but I would have thought that the '83 one would have been made after all of the truss rod problems. Wasn't all the woodworking done under licence by Charvel at this point, due to said problems with CLF?
It would be the '83 for me, I think you chose well.

Bakerster135 Posted Today, 11:19 AM
Quote"Thanks for the input guys! I've now played the 83, and it is jaw-droppingly good...Sounds a million times better than any EB stingray I've played. I'll be picking it up next week, good times! (If you get the geeky Stingray player reference there, shame on you! ;)) "

yowser yowser yowser !!!!!! B)

Edited by Ktmman

[quote name='The fasting showman' timestamp='1397045911' post='2420034']
I'm no authority, with my 2007 3 eq Stingray (sounds great to me), but I would have thought that the '83 one would have been made after all of the truss rod problems. Wasn't all the woodworking done under licence by Charvel at this point, due to said problems with CLF?
It would be the '83 for me, I think you chose well.
[/quote]

From my understanding, all those necks were either fixed thrown away or replaced.. be a bit rare and unlucky to get landed with one of those nowadays I'd imagine. Might even be worth more to some collectors :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1397046261' post='2420043']
From my understanding, all those necks were either fixed thrown away or replaced.. be a bit rare and unlucky to get landed with one of those nowadays I'd imagine. Might even be worth more to some collectors :)
[/quote]

Yeah, apparently Leo Fender provided a load of completely straight (i.e. non-adjustable) truss rods, in a malicious move! :lol: Unbelievable...If that was the case with the one I'm getting, I'd certainly hope that would have been noticed by now!

I'm going to be using this for drop C with 55-110s primarily as well, wasn't completely sure that the '79 three-bolt neck would handle that too well!?...Happy to be corrected of course!

[quote name='Ktmman' timestamp='1397046213' post='2420039']
yowser yowser yowser !!!!!! B)
[/quote]

That's the one! :lol:

Edited by bakerster135

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1397048092' post='2420085']
Yeah, apparently Leo Fender provided a load of completely straight (i.e. non-adjustable) truss rods, in a malicious move! :lol: Unbelievable...If that was the case with the one I'm getting, I'd certainly hope that would have been noticed by now!

I'm going to be using this for drop C with 55-110s primarily as well, wasn't completely sure that the '79 three-bolt neck would handle that too well!?...Happy to be corrected of course!

That's the one! :lol:
[/quote]

I used to own an 82/83 for bolt 'Ray and it was lightweight compared to most vintage Stingrays, and it sounded just how a Stingray should, very scooped in the mids,, massive bottom end and a slicing treble if you dialed it in with the preamp.

However, a word of caution about the necks and using drop tuning . I take no pleasure whatsoever in raining on anyone's parade, but the combination of a very slim profile and pretty basic, un-laminated flat-sawn construction means that the old Music Man necks are not necessarily the most stable or robust , and can be rather prone to bending . I would be very reluctant to do anything that would put undue or unusual tension on the neck of a rare and valuable vintage bass like your incoming Stingray. You could potentially be letting yourself in for all kinds of problems, even with a four bolt fixing . Regardless of how it is bolted to the body, the neck is under the same stresses from string tension.

Obviously, it's your bass so you can do just as you please, but just be aware that even with a correctly functioning truss rod, those necks need to be treated with a bit of care and respect to stay straight and true.

That said, I hope your new bass is all you expect it to be and more. :)

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1397051961' post='2420145']
However, a word of caution about the necks and using drop tuning . I take no pleasure whatsoever in raining on anyone's parade, but the combination of a very slim profile and pretty basic, un-laminated flat-sawn construction means that the old Music Man necks are not necessarily the most stable or robust , and can be rather prone to bending . I would be very reluctant to do anything that would put undue or unusual tension on the neck of a rare and valuable vintage bass like your incoming Stingray. You could potentially be letting yourself in for all kinds of problems, even with a four bolt fixing . Regardless of how it is bolted to the body, the neck is under the same stresses from string tension.

Obviously, it's your bass so you can do just as you please, but just be aware that even with a correctly functioning truss rod, those necks need to be treated with a bit of care and respect to stay straight and true.
[/quote]

Aye yai yai! Well thanks for letting me know Dingus :o Unfortunately my other two basses are Jazz-style, so I might be a bit stuck on that front!

I'll just have to try it I guess...Thanks for all the advice as usual everyone! :)

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1397055411' post='2420206']
Surely it must be possible to source string sets with tensions that match standard tuning while holding the tuning you require? Doesn't Circle K do this sort of thing?
[/quote]

Well, I was thinking that as I'm mainly going to be in CGCF, the heavier gauge string would effectively provide around the same tension as 45-105s in standard (EADG) tuning anyway? Am I wrong in thinking this? Maybe 50-110 may be more appropriate?...

Probably need to start a whole new discussion about this really! :lol:

Edited by bakerster135