Why become a member? ×

Microphones in front of speakers

Si600

My guitarist and I were talking about placing microphones in front of speakers last night and either I lost something in translation or I just don't get it, but why should we be looking to mic up when doing a gig (if we ever do one!)?

If you have to, then why aren't we all using little combo's and letting the PA do the heavy work?

Told you I didn't get it! :)

Short and sweet - For larger rooms you will need the sound dispersed and mixed properly and a guitar cab doesn't do it. A PA system will.

Hope that helps?

Check out Alex's info pages for the theory:
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information.htm[/url]

Yeah, your amps and cabs will only give out a certain amount of sound, which is localised. By mic'ing up your cabs and putting it through the PA, you are getting a sound that you can balance to give an overall sound from your band. Small venues are ok for just back line with maybe vocals through the PA, but for larger venues , you will definitely be looking at mic'ing up or DI'ing

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1395995324' post='2408677']
If you have to, then why aren't we all using little combo's and letting the PA do the heavy work?

[/quote]

I don't even use an amp or cab in large venue. I Di straight to the desk lol.

Edited by badboy1984

The reason they do that because they probably endorse artist so thats why they need the brand name on stage .......

I've seen Mr Big live performance on DVD and Billy Sheehan have like 4-6 Ampeg 8x10 on stage but they all have no bass head attach to it and Paul Gilbert have several marshall stack on stage but the amp head is not power on ......

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1395995324' post='2408677']
[/quote]You should be. Maybe not little combos, but if you have a good PA then all you need for backline is a rig large enough for on-stage monitoring. But few bands have a good PA
[quote]Small venues are ok for just back line with maybe vocals through the PA, but for larger venues , you will definitely be looking at mic'ing up or DI'ing [/quote]I always mic the drums and guitars even in the smallest of venues, because that's the only way to get even midrange and high frequency distribution thoughout the audience. My bass is the one instrument that I'll leave out, as lows don't need to be in the PA for sidpersion, and my 1x12 is adequate to push even 200 seats without assistance. If I do put the bass in the PA in smallish rooms to spread my highs I high pass that channel at 160Hz.