Why become a member? ×

***SOLD*** 1980 Pre-Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray with ROSEWOOD fingerboard!!!
£1900

drums1977

This bass is sold, thanks.

Up for grabs this amazing instrument. Tobacco sunburst finished, 1980 MusicMan Stingray, in very good condition (I would say 8.5 out of 10) and, to my knowlege, all original. This one is not a plain factory unit, as it shows two custom features, available as option at the time: through-body strings and an impresive rosewood fretboard. The feature most players don't loke about old Stingrays is their maple fingerboard. This one is rosewood, and just stunning. I am not an expert, but I would say it is brazilian rosewood (it is similar to my 71 JB). Both body and neck are stamped "1980".

The bass has just been set-up, it is bliss to play, with nice low action. And the sound of this thing will blow you away. AND a very rare feature in old MMs aswell: it comes with the ORIGINAL OHSC.

A lot of high resolution images [url="http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/roquefort2000/library/1980%20Pre-Ernie%20Ball%20MM%20Stingray?sort=4&page=1"]HERE[/url].

And here she is:

[url="http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/roquefort2000/media/1980%20Pre-Ernie%20Ball%20MM%20Stingray/IMG_0966_zpscc7293c3.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by drums1977

Wow lovely!
It's very unlikely the bass has brazilian rosewood, as does your 70s j bass, it's all Indian.
Fender phazed out brazilian rosewood boards in I think '68 and they started with the Indian from '65 and then through '68 it sort of became the norm... Anyway it doesnt make the bass sound less impressive. GLWTS!

Thanks for the tip on the wood, we learn things everyday here!!
As you say, whaterver it is, it is an stunning fingerboard on an amazing bass. :)

About trades, I really prefer a straight sale, but don't be afraid of asking. Mind you, I don't fancy modern-looking basses (except maybe Alembics or Jaydees... if you can call that "modern").

You will not find many old MMs like this one...

I got this on a trade! Yes, the other one you got was amazing too, but this one's made for serious rosewood lovers... These pre ernies are really amazing vintage instruments, miles above current stingrays,imho.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1396128108' post='2410306']
Where do you keep getting these from?
Still enjoying the last Ray I got from you btw.
[/quote]

Beautiful! I own an '80 rosewood StingRay in walnut. Prior to that, I had an '80 Sabre with the exact same colour/wood combi as your StingRay. I love the tone of pre-EBs with rosewood boardsand wish I could add this one to my collection. Good luck with the sale!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...