Why become a member? ×

disco

YouMa

I was 3 when disco happened and feel like an unkool freaky outcast when i tell people im a disco junky,(how come so many people dance to it but pretend its crap?) surely disco had the best bass players technique wise,i love rock players (john paul jones) reggae (aston) and all the other boys but im starting to think 70s dance/disco gets a pretty snobby/raw deal response a lot of the time....anyone with me on this,whats wrong with music that makes people feel good.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='YouMa' post='237715' date='Jul 11 2008, 11:45 PM']surely disco had the best bass players technique wise,[/quote]

When I was a tiny kid my favourite songs were stuff like Rhythm Stick and 'House of Fun', probably not a coincidence I ended up playing bass... Anyway, when I started listening to the old disco tunes (after Acid Jazz started putting out their first compilations) I crapped myself thinking there was a whole generation of awesome bassists. Turned out they were all either Verdine White or Bernard Edwards.

Made me feel much better about it when I realised there was only really two of them. :)

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='237863' date='Jul 12 2008, 11:35 AM']Who played on the Bee Gees disco stuff? Was it actually Maurice? I always assumed he didn't do the recordings, and just stood with a bass on stage to cover shyness or something. I know I probably would![/quote]
Maurice was the musical maestro behind the BeeGee's. Thats why when he died, effectively the BeeGee's finished. Maurice wrote most of the music and played keyboards, guitar and bass on most of the tracks!

Louis Johnson and Quincy Jones had a close working relationship, he played on quite a few Michael Jackson tunes.

To add to the list, lets also include Rutger Gunarsson, who played bass and wrote the brass arrangements for ABBA.

Fans of the Bee Gees disco stuff will probably find [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug05/articles/classictracks.htm"]this SoS article[/url] interesting.

From the article:

[quote]The control room overlooked a live area whose ceiling had less-than-ideal wooden beams, and it was there that Karl Richardson recorded the four-piece setup of Maurice on bass, Dennis Byron on drums, Blue Weaver on keyboards and Barry on acoustic guitar.[/quote]