Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Bridge For Rickenbacker

spongebob

I'm seriously looking at getting a Hipshot bridge to replace the stock one on my 4003.

All the time Ive had these, I've not considered doing this until now, just kind of put up with it.

I like the looks, the playability, and the better adjustment - all looks good.

Notice they come in brass and alluminium.....anyone know what the difference is?

Would love to hear any experience of these!

The brass one weighs a ton! There are no hollow bits in the casting, so that's a hefty lump o' metal. I have one on a home built bass, where it replaced an old Ric copy bridge. I think there was a subtle change in the sound when I changed bridge, though that could well be in my head. The attack of the notes just seemed very slightly crisper and brighter with the Hipshot. The main selling point for me is the ability to palm mute.

Thanks Beer!

I have heard that the brass one changes the tone slightly, whereas the aluminium is more of a similar sound.

Interested in the weight, as the 4003 is quite weighty anyway.

Should get a decent action on there, given the adjustability.

I have two, they are not a huge improvement to be honest, and are far from a design classic, in fact they're a bit of a 2nd year Engineering undergraduate project. You will need to fill the gaps between saddles or they buzz and move, the springs rattle if you have to use the full extension of the adjustment screw, the plate is quite thick and can leave action a little high, and the lateral adjustment is very crude. Compared to Badass II it's a world away. And they are stupidly expensive! I wouldn't pay more than £40 used so at least you can sell it on if needs be. And yes the brass version will weigh more than your rig!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1395578665' post='2403835']
The brass one weighs a ton! There are no hollow bits in the casting, so that's a hefty lump o' metal. I have one on a home built bass, where it replaced an old Ric copy bridge. I think there was a subtle change in the sound when I changed bridge, though that could well be in my head. The attack of the notes just seemed very slightly crisper and brighter with the Hipshot. The main selling point for me is the ability to palm mute.
[/quote]

The brass one weighs 1.5lbs. Fabulous bridge.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1395599939' post='2404192']
I have two, they are not a huge improvement to be honest, and are far from a design classic, in fact they're a bit of a 2nd year Engineering undergraduate project. You will need to fill the gaps between saddles or they buzz and move, the springs rattle if you have to use the full extension of the adjustment screw, the plate is quite thick and can leave action a little high, and the lateral adjustment is very crude. Compared to Badass II it's a world away. And they are stupidly expensive! I wouldn't pay more than £40 used so at least you can sell it on if needs be. And yes the brass version will weigh more than your rig!
[/quote]

The only issue I have had with my Hipshot bridges is that the grub screws are quite loose and can move. I get a tiny bit of carrier bag or cling film and wrap it around the grub. Works a treat.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1395600226' post='2404199']

The only issue I have had with my Hipshot bridges is that the grub screws are quite loose and can move. I get a tiny bit of carrier bag or cling film and wrap it around the grub. Works a treat.
[/quote]

Didn't have you down as a Ric man Nige?

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1395603105' post='2404250']
Forgot to ask Beedster - were these recent bridges? Only as I've heard of an upgrade on these in the last couple of years?
[/quote]

Hey mate, possibly not, although I can't see any obvious changes in those currently for sale. You won't know until you try though, so perhaps give it a go anyway?

It's a toughie as the aluminium one is £110! My plan was to fund the purchase - and the setup I'm sure it'll need - with the sale of my old one!

I've read elsewhere about wobbly saddles, and was hoping it was a rarity. Trouble is last two posts on here have reported glitches - when all I want is a quality working replacement.....not having to plug the gaps with bags or anything else!!

I had a Rickenfaker made by Shine and replaced the bridge with a Hipshot. I needn't have bothered...

I didn't notice much real benefit over the stock bridge and also found that I had to have a mounting plate made to fit the Hipshot bridge, as the saddles were a few millimetres lower than on the stock bridge. When I first installed the Hipshot I had some crazy buzzing and neck relief problems. Definitely not worth the £150-odd that my naive 18 year-old self paid for it :unsure:

I reckon that the reason that neither Xilddx or myself have noticed saddle movement or rattle problems with the Hipshot is that both of us are using them on non Rickenbacker basses. These issues will be worse with the saddles set low due to the lesser back-angle. My bass has the strings further off the body than a Ric, so the saddles are set quite high on mine.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1395608030' post='2404346']
I reckon that the reason that neither Xilddx or myself have noticed saddle movement or rattle problems with the Hipshot is that both of us are using them on non Rickenbacker basses. These issues will be worse with the saddles set low due to the lesser back-angle. My bass has the strings further off the body than a Ric, so the saddles are set quite high on mine.
[/quote]

Agreed, plus the head of the screws get in the way of the saddles on E and G when you have the action set low, and IME on a real Ric (not a Faker), you have to have them set low, and of course, on a Ric you can't shim the neck to alleviate this. I think Hipshot really got it wrong with with this bridge.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1395604837' post='2404290']
It's a toughie as the aluminium one is £110! My plan was to fund the purchase - and the setup I'm sure it'll need - with the sale of my old one!

I've read elsewhere about wobbly saddles, and was hoping it was a rarity. Trouble is last two posts on here have reported glitches - when all I want is a quality working replacement.....not having to plug the gaps with bags or anything else!!
[/quote]

£110! Waste of money, the original Ric bridges have worked for Macca, Squire, Geddy and co, and IIRC Lemmy uses a Badass?

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1395659372' post='2404698']
I've ordered one today - so we'll see how we get on..... :)
[/quote]

Ha ha, good man! Seriously though, I do hope they have improved the design over the one's I have. Also, if it comes with round-top screw head, change them for flat top or you'll never get the E and G saddles to settle!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1395659372' post='2404698']
I've ordered one today - so we'll see how we get on..... :)[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

I'd keep hold of the original Ric bridge tho SB just in case you decide to sell up at some point. For some reason Ric owners can be a bit touchy about replacement bits ;-)

Edited by martthebass

Good advice Mart. I'll definitely give it a few weeks to see if we gel.

After that, I'd probably let it go, they can go for good money. The bass won't get sold anyway (famous last words...) as after some years of mucking about, I went mono bass last year, and I intend to just play this one to bits!

Got it, and going to fit it at the weekend.

Couple of qustions, at the risk of sounding like a dummy....!

Just wanted to clarify what each of the slots/holes adjust. You've got your left side one on each saddle, and two on the right, top and bottom.

Can a helpful player explain each one before I dive in?!!