Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Bridge For Rickenbacker

spongebob

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1444903143' post='2887098']
Apologies for the thread resurrection but I would love to know the outcome of this experiment!
[/quote]

Well.......

The first bridge was a bit of a disaster, as at a gig last June, the E and A saddles loosened themselves during a gig. I spent the gap between every song screwing them back again. Bit embarrassing! I luckily had an old Geddy Jazz at the time to use the next day, as we had the opening slot at a Blues festival, which meant leaving home at about 9.30am.

Bought some threadlock, but it was too tight....

So, after advice, I complained to Hipshot who sent me a nice new set of saddles, FOC. To their credit, great service, and the new ones didn't shift an inch.

However, a few months later, me and the 4003 parted company, and it's now residing in Latvia. I'd changed the pickups to Classic Amplification, 70's style as well, as the modern 4003 sound I find far to dense and lacking....and I've tried a few!

I eventually picked up a '74 4001 (not my first I've owned, but my fave). Had this since earlier this year, and it sounds like I wanted to 4003 to be....and it's a YOB bass too!

.....and it's sticking with the original bridge! :lol:

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1445013470' post='2888203']
Hipshot got it badly wrong with the Ric bridge, I'm almost tempted to say it was designed by an infiltrator from Ric. If I get another Ric it's going to be wearing a BBOT
[/quote]

Isn't the spacing on a BBOT way off Rickenbacker spacing? I'd be tempted to go with something like a Schaller roller bridge (for the adjustable spacing) with a Geddy-style surround (maybe made from mirror acrylic) so that it looks good from a few feet away and hides the routing.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1445014931' post='2888224']
Isn't the spacing on a BBOT way off Rickenbacker spacing? I'd be tempted to go with something like a Schaller roller bridge (for the adjustable spacing) with a Geddy-style surround (maybe made from mirror acrylic) so that it looks good from a few feet away and hides the routing.
[/quote]

Probably yes, think I was trying to emphasis just how bad both the original and aftermarket bridge offerings are for Ric. The original works very well of course, but only as long as Ric have bothered to get the rest of the instrument right - for example alignment of bridge rout with neck and PUPs, height of fretboard over body etc - and as we know, that's not always the case :)