Why become a member? ×

Tall Font Russian or Darkglass Duality?

titchfieldrelic

Which is the best fuzz pedal? The TFR came top in a Bass Chat survey, but some of the recent reviews of the Duality recommend it. TFR's are not readily available in the UK, so is it worth waiting for stock to arrive? Guitar FX Direct and Bass Direct both have stock of the Duality now. Just wish I wasn't so impatient!

Totally different sounding pedals really, depends what sound you want. Some will say one, some the other, and some neither!

Do the Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, 3Leaf You're Doom, Amptweaker Tight Fuzz and Malekko Diabolik have a look-in here, or are you just interested in those particular two? (I've probably just made your decision harder now lol)

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='titchfieldrelic' timestamp='1395098365' post='2398805']
Which is the best fuzz pedal?
[/quote]

There is no answer to that questions :)

One thing I would say, I wouldn't consider a TFR before having a chat with Cog Effects. His muff circuit (Grand Tarkin) is the best muff type for bass out there at the moment IMO, and he'll build in a whole host of modifications for you at a great price. And, it's always good to support English builders!

Can't say between this two but i had a TFR and now i have a B3K and if i had known i'd kept the TFR so i can have both on my board. The TFR is the best fuzz i've heard (never heard the COG, mind) and the B3K does an incredible overdrive (also a very good fuzz in extreme settings).

I'm now looking to get another TFR and i'll be watching this topic regarding the COG alternative. ;)

Yeah the TFR is a Green Muff circuit basically and the Darkglass is a.......well, a Darkglass.
Very different, get both.......and a Cog, and a Fuzzrocious......and I'm getting prototype PCBs through soon.....get them all basically ;)

Si

I have the TFR, love it. If I didn't have it, I would buy the COG Grand Tarkin. Even better, contact Tom from COG and have him build you exactly what you want, and it'll still probably work out cheaper than importing a TFR or buying a Duality.

Have to say though, TFR full-gain into the B3K at half-blend half-gain is still one of the most incredible bass dirt sounds I have ever heard. I want to have a little joyful cry every time I play through them! :lol: ...

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1395144226' post='2399093']
I have the TFR, love it. If I didn't have it, I would buy the COG Grand Tarkin. Even better, contact Tom from COG and have him build you exactly what you want, and it'll still probably work out cheaper than importing a TFR or buying a Duality.

Have to say though, TFR full-gain into the B3K at half-blend half-gain is still one of the most incredible bass dirt sounds I have ever heard. I want to have a little joyful cry every time I play through them! :lol: ...
[/quote]

Oh! That's very mean of you... now i'm GASing for two pedals instead of just one!

Thanks to everyone who answered.

I think I'll have a lie down now!

My Pedaltrain Mini just has room for one more pedal. Currenly, I've got two EBS pedals - Uni Chorus and Multi Drive - together with a Planet Waves strobe tuner and Diago 9 volt power supply. The EHX Big Muff is too big for my board, so I've considered as many pedals as possible of the size that would fit the space available. I've got Stingray, Sterling and Jazz basses all of which are active. So, I've listened to as many Youtube samples as possible over the last month and read everything I can on Bass Chat and Bass Talk. The choice is bewildering. It would be easier to find Malaysian Airlines missing 777. But finally I narrowed the choice down to the TFR and the Duality. Both are quality pedals and I like the fuzz effects they produce, although, as some of you have said, they are different. I'm not in the habit of selling stuff that I've bought. I try to do sufficient research and testing initially to avoid the inevitable GAS. Clearly, though, from just the responses above, the TFR is loved. The Duality is relatively new, so there is very little comment available. The COG Grand Tarkin is about the same size as the Big Muff PI, which would mean selling my Pedaltrain MIni and buying the Pedaltrain Junior, which in turn would give me more space to buy more pedals!

[quote name='titchfieldrelic' timestamp='1395240312' post='2400082']
I've just looked at the Cog Custom thread and realised that as I don't have a degree in advanced electronics I wouldn't have a clue what to order!
[/quote]

Email Tom and explain what you want, he is very good at working out what exactly you want. He patient and very knowledgable.

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1395240744' post='2400090']
Email Tom and explain what you want, he is very good at working out what exactly you want. He patient and very knowledgable.
[/quote]

Seconded. He'll take your pedal dreams and turn them into reality, no electronics degree or jargon-interpreting skills necessary! ;-)

Consensus is a usefel tool in the decision making process especially when it is not possible to test equipment yourself. Unfortunately, there is nowhere for me to try out the TFR, so I ordered it from Phil at Guitar FX Direct on Wednesday and it arrived this morning, Excellent service from this retailer in the Isle of Man. Paid £159 including delivery. No extra duty or VAT. Huge choice of pedals. Probably the biggest choice anywhere. I've got a rehearsal session on Sunday at Blue Shed Studios in Soham to try the pedal out. Blue Shed, incidentally, is a very modern, purpose built facility which is the best that I've had the pleasure to use with my band. We're all in our 60's and we want to enjoy the musical experience and relax in impeccably clean and comfortable surroundings. Absolutely superb. I have to say that most of the studios I've used are ramshackle and filthy and it seems to me that this is the norm after five years of using diffent studios in Hampshire, Surrey and Cambridgeshire.

Edited by titchfieldrelic