Why become a member? ×

Double Ball End strings?

DaveMuadDib

Hi guys, I'm looking to change the strings on my Hohner B2A steinberger copy, and this is something I've never done before.

I'd like to take the gauge down a little notch, so I was thinking 40-100's would be good. The only manufacturer I could find for these is "Elites", in that neon pink packaging. I've still got the factory strings on my headless at the moment, so needless to say, i've never used Elites before. Are they any good? They're a little bit cheaper than the other brands, which is good but always a little bit disconcerting :)

Cheers!

I used the Elites before on my B2V (5-string): they were OK, but the life was not great. More recently I've been using Status Graphite strings on my Hohners, because I wanted a custom High-C 5-string set, and they seem to me to last longer. They want £ 13.57 + VAT for the set you're after, which might not be the absolute cheapest, but still good value IMHO.

[quote name='bnt' post='236508' date='Jul 10 2008, 01:38 PM']I used the Elites before on my B2V (5-string): they were OK, but the life was not great. More recently I've been using Status Graphite strings on my Hohners, because I wanted a custom High-C 5-string set, and they seem to me to last longer. They want £ 13.57 + VAT for the set you're after, which might not be the absolute cheapest, but still good value IMHO.[/quote]

Where from?

[quote name='Dave_MuadDib' post='236489' date='Jul 10 2008, 01:25 PM']I'd like to take the gauge down a little notch, so I was thinking 40-100's would be good. The only manufacturer I could find for these is "Elites", in that neon pink packaging. I've still got the factory strings on my headless at the moment, so needless to say, i've never used Elites before. Are they any good? They're a little bit cheaper than the other brands, which is good but always a little bit disconcerting :)[/quote]
I use Elites on everything, including a Hohner Jack with double ball-ends (5-string, 40-100 + 125), and have done for ten or 15 years. Seem fine to me.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='236796' date='Jul 10 2008, 07:15 PM'][url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame1.htm"]http://www.status-graphite.com/status/cart...ames/frame1.htm[/url][/quote]

Cheers me dear!

Are the round core noticeably different from 'normal' strings?

[quote name='bremen' post='237046' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:32 AM']Cheers me dear!

Are the round core noticeably different from 'normal' strings?[/quote]

Hi, I use Nickel Signature strings from XL2XL on my Steinberger, which are a 42-102 over a round core. I find this gauge sits just right on the slightly narrower neck profile and being round core, which is more difficult to manufacture correctly, they tend to stay bright for a lot longer.

Dr. S.

Well, I live in the capital city of Ireland, which has about 5 music shops in total, and none of them carry anything but standard 4- and 5-string sets. No 6-string sets, and definitely no double-ball sets. Two of my three basses are headless. While I have tried bodging one of them to use standard strings, it's better for me to order strings from the UK, so I know I can get what I want. :)

I might try that XL2XL site: it looks like I can put together a 5-string High C set of round core Nickel Signatures for about £23.50, though that is a bit more expensive than a Status Graphite custom SS hex core set (£19.56).