Why become a member? ×

The Stranglers Current Tour - Anyone Else Gone?

spongebob

I saw the band in Folkestone on Friday. Second time after going to Brighton 3 years back.

Support band Nine Below Zero were excellent - I knew them, but not really their stuff. I was really impressed - especially as I was most looking forward to seeing drummer Brendan O'Neil, who was Rory Gallagher's longest-serving drummer.

The Stranglers were really good as well - great setlist which took in some a real mix. Only two downsides - the bass mix was appalling - far too low, and not what it should be. Lacked any kind power until it was cranked up for the encores.

Jet Black has apparently been unwell, and did not appear - despite numerous calls for him!

I wonder how long they'll carry on - JJ has said that without Jet, that's it. So maybe it's getting to that stage now.

Overall, a really good gig. Don't think it topped my last time (Jet did the whole gig), but they were solid.....and NBZ were a cracking opener! :)

Seen them every year for the last I don't know how many years, but it looks like this year I'm going to miss out, unless I can catch them later in the year. Going on holiday in April, ain't going to be able to do both. I've seen the set list though-TBH I think there have been better ones. Still wish I was going though.

I was at the Liverpool gig and the bass was most certainly set to 'strangle'. Glorious. Amusingly, Dave Greenfield cocked up the first verse of Golden Brown, Baz carried on singing and said something like, "Yes, this is f***in' live"! Dave jumped straight back in and they had a fool about with the end of the song with JJ singing his backing vocal in a cod cockney accent. They got an ovation for that!

A smashing gig - the first half an hour was songs machine-gunned at the crowd, including a few I'd never seen them play live - 'Midnight Summer Dream', being one of my faves. Probably the longest Stranglers gig, when I looked at the clock afterwards, but it flew by.

Jet only did a few songs for the first encore, but the crowd gave him a fitting welcome. I can well understand him not wanting to play longer - he's got to look after himself, but he was impeccable for the songs he played on, including Genetix.

More!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1397400463' post='2423514']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78OkYVqZK4A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78OkYVqZK4A[/url] watched this last night from the paris show looks a great gig.
[/quote]thanks for posting that, i was only expecting 1 song not the whole show, brilliant