Why become a member? ×

Fender 60's P Bass - what type of wood is this please?

dodgnofski

Looking at entries in the Wood Database website to my eye that end grain looks more like Red Alder http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/red-alder/ but others more knowledgeable than I will probably know better.

It looks like ash to be sure. However I've just googled "red alder grain" and it's clear that red alder has a much wider grain pattern than "normal" alder and looks very similar to ash. So if the Fender spec says "red alder" I'd tend to believe it. Both it and ash have lovely grain patterns though.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post the pics dannybuoy - appreciated!

Comparing the two - and if I had to bet my house on it, I'd plump for Ash as the grain resembles the top pic way more than Alder pic??

Any more offers??

My two cents...

Fender mostly only used Ash for Blonde finishes back then, which were always Ash.

Is the bass refinished? The paint wear looks like it could be, if it is, then maybe it was Ash as it sure does look like it against other Fenders I've seen from that period.

Well, definitely a period when Fender were using up old stock any way they could, some of these late 60's ones even have old orange and green amplifier cloth wire so perhaps they were using up Ash bodies as blonde was less popular, or because the Tele basses that came out then were blonde? Anything goes back then!

Thanks Daniel,

I think I just got lucky! - it's all original, arrow straight neck, allowing for an incredibly low 'playable' action, massive output from the pick ups. lightweight and plays like the proverbial dream - phew!! - I haven't been able to put it down for the past two weeks, so it has the added advantage of keeping me away from the fridge :D!!

I was originally thinking of a pre - CBS jobbie, but I can't imagine 'any' Precision from any era would suit me better than this beauty, plus I just couldn't resist those Lollipop tuners :gas:!!

All the best

Tim

Hey Tim,

Yup, definitely a great bass from a great period. It looks like your 68 is the last of the old style necks too, before they went for the more common B shape with larger TV logo - which was around '68, so you got one of the last ones! You can just tell sometimes in pictures which ones the stunners are, that surely must be one of them. Tasty tuners, and the nitro cracking looks very sweet. :)

So glad you finally got sorted!

Take care matey

Edited by Chiliwailer