Why become a member? ×

'76 Fender P on at the moment...

Hello Folks,

What do you reckon to this - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1976-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-USA-Original_W0QQitemZ300240159251QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300240159251&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318"]'76 P on t'Bay[/url]

I am VERY interested but don't know enough about 70's Fenders to know whether it would be a worthwhile buy...
Wot d'ya reckon?!

Thoughts please,
Cheers,
Jon.

The pickguard and case aren't original - the correct guard was probably black.

Lord knows what's going on with the D screw on the bridge... it's a bit long!

The tuners and serial number seem to be correct.

As for value... £750 is high-to-reasonable if it's a great player. The BIN is the dictionary definition of 'optimism', IMO.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='235345' date='Jul 8 2008, 10:39 PM']The pickguard and case aren't original - the correct guard was probably black.

As for value... £750 is high-to-reasonable if it's a great player. The BIN is the dictionary definition of 'optimism', IMO.[/quote]

Nice one WoT.
I knew the 'guard and case aren't original but thanks for eye-balling the rest of it for me.

Jon

[quote name='SJA' post='235353' date='Jul 8 2008, 10:45 PM']the bass he links to at vintage & rare has a black plate, not mirror![/quote]

I'm not 100% sure, but wouldn't a 76 Precision have screw holes where the ashtray pickup covers were originally fitted? This doesn't seem to have them (there are holes in the pickguard but it looks like the white finish underneath).

Edited by simon1964

I think it might just be that the mirror plate's screwholes don't line up properly with the holes in the body-

the one on vintage & rare (and the 70's style WD plate on my Warmoth) has screws in different places (and more of them).

- yep, looking at my Warmoth's plate the holes for the pickup cover are further above and below the pickup than on that mirror one.
so the holes are probably there in that 76's body, but the plate's don't line up with them.

Edited by SJA

[quote name='SJA' post='235382' date='Jul 8 2008, 11:38 PM']I think it might just be that the mirror plate's screwholes don't line up properly with the holes in the body-[/quote]

Yes - I thought that but there should still be holes for the bridge ashtray shouldn't there?

Edited by simon1964

hmmm,

are those round marks by the bridge due to holes being filled in and sprayed over, perhaps?
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300240159251&indexURL=6&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting[/url]

[quote name='SJA' post='235393' date='Jul 8 2008, 11:54 PM']hmmm,

are those round marks by the bridge due to holes being filled in and sprayed over, perhaps?
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300240159251&indexURL=6&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting[/url][/quote]

Could well be - so is the finish original?!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='235345' date='Jul 8 2008, 10:39 PM']The pickguard and case aren't original - the correct guard was probably black.

As for value... £750 is high-to-reasonable if it's a great player. The BIN is the dictionary definition of 'optimism', IMO.[/quote]
WoT
I thought the later 70's serials were S6***** for example.? and not 7648794. Am i wrong?

[quote name='mistahbenn' post='235760' date='Jul 9 2008, 02:57 PM']WoT
I thought the later 70's serials were S6***** for example.? and not 7648794. Am i wrong?[/quote]

There was a short transition period of '76....' numbers before 'S......' was introduced.

Edited by wateroftyne

Hi Jon, It's been resprayed. In pic 7 you can see the paint filled screw holes by the bridge. In pic 6 the machine head screw slots look like they've been moved a few times and the G machine head post screw doesn't match with the D machine head post screw. The D bridge saddle screw isn't original. For an "original" bass there are too many questions. I wouldn't buy it.

Edited by chris_b

If you're after a nice old P-bass, you could do a lot worse than mine! I've got a really tasty original '79 in the Basses For Sale section, feel free to have a look...

Shameless plug over!

Etienne :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='235784' date='Jul 9 2008, 03:18 PM']Hi Jon, It's been resprayed. In pic 7 you can see the paint filled screw holes by the bridge. In pic 6 the machine head screw slots look like they've been moved a few times and the G machine head post screw doesn't match with the D machine head post screw. The D bridge saddle screw isn't original. For an "original" bass there are too many questions. I wouldn't buy it.[/quote]

Hi Chris,
Just read what you and all the Guys here are saying and had another good look at the pic's... Am going to pass on this one!
I don't think I could shell out without trying it anyway.

Thanks & Cheers,
Jon

[quote name='chris_b' post='235784' date='Jul 9 2008, 03:18 PM']For an "original" bass there are too many questions. I wouldn't buy it.[/quote]

Here's the rub , really. In terms of it holding its value that statement's sound.

In terms of it being a nice old 70's player it may well be worth a try out - but in those terms it's either at the top end of it's value OR it's priceless to you if it's the bass of your dreams.

[quote name='16Again' post='237488' date='Jul 11 2008, 05:49 PM']ohh, why's that ?[/quote]

A lot of scammers give their location as the north of Scotland. Presumably it discourages potential buyers who want to inspect the bass or collect it in person. Aberdeen certainly seems to be vintage bass central :)