Why become a member? ×

Antoria Bass , £100

Donnyboy

Antoria Black Eagle - with an Ibanez logo on it this is pretty much the Holy Grail of 70s JapCrap basses, and you could expect to get £500-odd for it, even with the broken headstock & general dilapidation. With an Antoria logo (it's otherwise completely identical) it would fetch a little bit less, but this is still ridiculous bargain of the decade.

I'm in the unfortunate position where I really do need to downsize the hoard of basses & guitars I'm sitting on, so I passed this up a couple of days ago when it first appeared. I would imagine it's now long-gone, but I'm sure you'll see it on Ebay very soon.

Jon.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1393502867' post='2381048']
Well he contacted me and said 'cash and pickup only sorry' so unless anyone here fancies picking it up for me from Glasgow and posting it to Lancaster I'll pay them for it........ ;)
[/quote]
Amazed it's still there! If you get it, will you have a go at fixing the broken bit of headstock? It should look like this:

Looks like it should be straightforward enough - a donor Fender-shape head would provide the missing bit.

Still tempted by this myself - but I'd never play it, I'd just gyppo-flip it for profit, because I'm a bad person. :yarr:

J.

Ash-

I could collect this for you. I don't particularly want to get involved looking for packaging and organising a courier etc. but I will be down in Leeds sometime about mid March and could bring it down with me then if you could make it over to collect?

Would be good to see it resurrected.

Cheers

Ed

Blimey, I used to lust after those when I was a lad. Back in 1976, one of the local music shops where I grew up had a black eagle and a standard Antoria jazz for sale. I took the standard jazz out 'on approval' - I wanted the black eagle really, but it was a bit more expensive. Lo and behold, on the way to rehearsal that night, I dropped it and knackered the finish, so I had to buy it. The shop owner very graciously let me pay it off at a fiver a month. Needless to say, it took some time even at 1970's prices. Even after nearly 40 years, the black eagle still looks good to me...

Sadly it didn't happen despite Ed's kind offer of help and making all the pickup arrangements the seller declared it was a rare bass and therefore worth much more. He decided not to sell it :( at that price anyway.....
Bummer.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1393678110' post='2383225']
Sadly it didn't happen despite Ed's kind offer of help and making all the pickup arrangements the seller declared it was a rare bass and therefore worth much more. He decided not to sell it :( at that price anyway.....
Bummer.
[/quote] I hate people like that who mess about what a cock......sorry it didn't work out for you

Just checked back in here again.

Yeah, the guy obviously had been doing some sniffing around on the net and declared that we'd have to add a zero to the price!

I gave him a bit of background and told him that with it's general beat up condition and the broken headstock etc. it would not fetch top dollar and if he got an offer of a couple of hundred for it he should snap it up. He said he'll likely put it back on for £200.

An Ibanez version has since appeared on ebay in the states looking for about £900! Guess what- it didn't sell and is now relisted for a tiny bit less.

I had totally forgotten Jon Camp played one of these for a time. The other guy I remember was the guy from the Commodores.

Cheers

Ed