I've got Gibson SG Bass itch !

Adee

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1396439766' post='2413588']
I didn't think I'd have to wheel out the big gun but

Hypnofrog says DO IT

;)
[/quote]

GAAAAAAH!

Does Hypnofrog think this is £900-worth of bass?
http://www.wunjoguitars.com/shop/bass-guitars/gibson-sb-400-bass-1971
I'm actually in two minds the more I look at it. But I've no idea how it sounds...

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1396445046' post='2413709']
GAAAAAAH!

Does Hypnofrog think this is £900-worth of bass?
[url="http://www.wunjoguitars.com/shop/bass-guitars/gibson-sb-400-bass-1971"]http://www.wunjoguit...b-400-bass-1971[/url]
I'm actually in two minds the more I look at it. But I've no idea how it sounds...
[/quote]

Ahh, so it's an SB. Slightly different proposition to the EB. I personally don't think it's worth £900, at least not of my money. The original plastic bridge saddles look broken to me for one thing, in fact it's mentioned in the blurb.

More info here (including sounds): http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/1971gibsonSB400.php - you'll see that this one had its bridge saddles replaced with metal ones.

They are pretty rare, but not particularly desirable IMO, and especially not a ratty one like this.

Having a battered '64 EB3 and Epiphone Elitist EB3 I thought I would give one of the SG basses a go in Dawsons last week. £650.00 for the faded 125th Anniversary model inc. case seemed a good price but I could not get on with that long heel on the neck to body joint. Why they did not retain the original neck pocket joint (the Epis still have it) is beyond me. So I left it in the shop.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1396747078' post='2417030']
Fair point. Love am. special p basses, think I prefer them over the am. standards.
[/quote]

There are some Am. Std. I like, or prefer. I was an early Am. Spl. critic. At least some of the early ones here in the states did have some issues. However, from what I've seen of the more recent Am. Spl.'s, they look very good. I wouldn't have gotten mine the other day if it wasn't good. I do like the Honeyburst stain, and the Alder looks great too.

Edited by gsgbass

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1397124839' post='2420848']
I tuck the strap under my belt and it stays were I position it.
It does not work if you wear an overcoat on stage or if you are shaped like this... [attachment=159852:New Species.jpg]
[/quote]

That's a good plan about tucking the strap under your belt.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1397163455' post='2421459']

Hard to put a price on that. Yes, it is 'old Gibson', but it is also a budgety and unloved model with no famous users.
[/quote]

They're classic basses but as much as I love Gibsons, they're a little over priced from my POV. The thunderbird I paid little over £900 in '09 and does feel like a decent £700-£800 tops, the new 2014 for £1400!? No way :-/
The SG basses are good value for American made instruments and if they come with the hard cases, £900 for the standard, depends how much money you have to throw at a finished £500/600 bass ;)

The old basses still in cycle are good money when priced right, a little TLC and away you go ;)

I'm currently soothing my SG itch tomorrow night, going to feel goooood