Why become a member? ×

Berg CN 2 x 1x12 Vs CN 2x12

essexbasscat

Has anyone tried this ?

Just curious about the Berg CN cabs really. Do 2 x CN 1 x 12 sound any different to one CN 2 x 12 ?

If they do sound different, can anyone comment on the differences they found, along with their preferances ?

Of course, the amp and bass used for testing do make a difference, but assuming the comparison was made using the same amp ?

Do different amps influence the outcome ?

Curious really, as a new cab is definately on the hit list this year

Thanks all

Thanks for posting that phagor.

While watching the clip, I got the impression that the 2x12 gave greater emphasis to the lower frequencies, but wasn't sure if that was the recording or something else. The discussion at the end mentioned the same thing, so there would seem to be a difference between the two set ups, at least with that amp anyway.

As you say, in the end, it will probably be down to trying them out.

A CN212 will have small differences to 2 CN112 cabs (2 tweeters for instance) but I would imagine there are more similarities. Any differences will be small, subtle and will probably be unnoticeable in a band context. I’ve been playing a CN212 since the middle of last year. It’s the best cab I’ve owned and I would recommend one over anything else I’ve played. Having said that, people are still selling them, so you really have to hear one to be certain that you’re on my side of the fence or not.

The sound of most good cabs will be influenced by the amp and bass you’re using, but Bergantino’s are not fussy cabs. They will sound very good with a wide range of amps and in a wide range of rooms, and bad rooms are the cause of many of the sound problems bassists have to deal with.

A 112 is a very useful cab if you need to play low volume gigs but in my opinion anything louder than that requires 2 112 cabs. I played 2 AE112 for years because of the range of gigs I did and because 2 light weight cabs were good for my back.

I wish the CN212 was lighter but 2 CN112 cabs are expensive. 99% of my gigs are done with the CN212. I haven’t sold my AE112 cabs yet because I still do acoustic gigs and I run an AE112 and CN212 together (or use all 3 AE112 cabs) for my "mad loud guitarist" gigs.

What do you drive the 112 and 212 with, Chris, and are they the same impedance so the split is equal..??

I ask...because I like to use a DB210 and DB212 at 8 each and I think I can hear the DB210 bottom out
and therefore I tend not to carry this rig. Of course, I could nulify that with 2xDB210 and a DB212 :lol:
but just don't have the gigs that warrant that often enough, but at least the amp will run down that low.
The amp delivers 700w into 4 and 950 into 2...

I might just have to man up and take that beast rig out just for giggles...but the rig generally has too much oomph
for small venues and pubs... it rattles the back walls and turns the drummer green... :lol:
and the 212 is more than enough 99% of the time anyway...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1393591949' post='2382299']
....What do you drive the 112 and 212 with, Chris, and are they the same impedance so the split is equal..??....
[/quote]

The CN212 is 4 ohms and the AE112 8 ohms. This runs the Thunderfunk 750 at 2.6 ohms, and each 12 gets the same power.

A story about overdoing things:
I took both Aguilar TH500's (gain and masters at 12 o'clock) to a loud gig recently and ran 2 AE112's, 1 CN212 and daisy-chained the amps. That really sorted the guitarist out, but neither the drummer or me could hear him, so I had to turn down the master's down to 9 o'clock.

It was all very silly, massive overkill but 1000 watts and 4 12's was the hugest, fattest sound I've ever had. I could have lost fillings. As it was, my ears were hurting even with the ear plugs in so I'd have had to turn down anyway. It was an interesting experiment but the Thunderfunk and 3 12's is loud enough.

The drummer thinks I'm crazy and the guitarist was speechless, but now I know I can take down even the loudest guitarist.

Agree..... there are a few places that I can't use the DB750.... as it just pumps it out there.
What is a good ( perceived ) mix close in is dominating the room. There is no bass hiding
as it is right out there and knocking down walls. This sounds like a good idea and fun
but it serves no real good purpose to the overall band sound and mix.
This is also why I say you can have too much bass...