Why become a member? ×

neck question, help/advice needed

donslow

Hey all, as an ibanez sr player for the last few years (only basses I've ever played) I decided I needed a change and sold all but one of my ibanezes (last one going up for sale soon) I bought myself a used vintage modified precision bass with pretty much every thing on it upgraded for a ridiculous price, starting to wonder why I didn't sooner, anyway, my question is this

As you may have guessed, being an ibanez player, I'm used to slim, thin, fast necks, the neck on my precision is the proverbial baseball bat in comparison so I'm looking to swap it out for something a little more donslow friendly

Have been looking about and the only, from what I can see, viable option would be to buy a jazz bass neck,

Are jazz bass necks really that much different in size? Does it make a huge difference?

Have been looking at mighty mite jazz bass necks, does anyone have any experience with these?

Can anyone suggest a neck that is slim, thin and fast that would fit on my precision body that i may have overlooked? the slimmer/thinner without losing tone the better, budget isn't great at the moment but im willing to persevere with the current neck for now if it means I get an ideal/much better neck in the near future

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, many thanks in advance

You will find a Jazz neck much more similar to your SR. If that's what you really want, then it's a question of finding one that fits nicely in your neck heel slot in the body.
The Mighty Mite necks are really good. I have a Precision one currently. Heel width is bang on 63mm. To start I'd measure the exact width of your current neck heel at it's widest point (the height and length are more standard if it's a "made-for-fender" style neck). Then it's a question of getting a Jazz neck that fits the slot, as they do vary.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1393055361' post='2375615']
You will find a Jazz neck much more similar to your SR. If that's what you really want, then it's a question of finding one that fits nicely in your neck heel slot in the body.
The Mighty Mite necks are really good. I have a Precision one currently. Heel width is bang on 63mm. To start I'd measure the exact width of your current neck heel at it's widest point (the height and length are more standard if it's a "made-for-fender" style neck). Then it's a question of getting a Jazz neck that fits the slot, as they do vary.
[/quote]

I figured that's all you had to do, measure and match as it were, are the jazz bass necks really that much slimmer/thinner than the precision necks, I guess that's what I'm really after, after playing sr's for so long, bass lines I can play in my sleep seem to have become a bit of a task on the new neck, hence my need for slim and skinny fast necks

Will certainly continue looking at the mighty mite necks,

Does anyone/anywhere have measurements of both necks (slim chance I know) at different points from nut to heel And front to back to have a little compare up, can't seem to find anything myself

Personally I can really "feel" the difference between a J and a P neck. Although be aware that although Jazz necks almost universally have a 38mm nut and are slim in depth, P nut widths can vary from about 40-43mm. Personally, I can cope with a 41mm, but any more and I find myself being limited.
My Mighty Mite P neck has these widths ...

nut - 41mm
5th fret - 49mm
12t fret - 57mm

neck depth ...

1st fret - 19mm
5th fret - 20.5mm
12th fret - 22.5mm

The neck on my VM Precision is noticeably thicker than the Jazz neck on my Deluxe Precision, despite the nut widths being 41mm and 38mm respectively - it doesn't sound like a huge difference on paper but it's really pronounced when I go from one to the other.

A jazz neck would be a much closer match to your SR, but before you take the plunge, two bits of advice from me:

1. Get to your local shop, pick up a Jazz and give it a play - better to be 100% sure that you're comfortable with the feel - you might decide you like the Precision neck better, and if so you're £100+ better off!

2. MEASURE UP. Make sure you check the actual measurements of the neck pocket on your bass line up with the specs of the neck you plan to order. I (rather foolishly) bought a Squier neck without the bass I was buying it for in front of me, and unfortunately it didn't fit - luckily I was able to sell it on but save yourself the hassle!

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1393074617' post='2375868']
Personally I can really "feel" the difference between a J and a P neck. Although be aware that although Jazz necks almost universally have a 38mm nut and are slim in depth, P nut widths can vary from about 40-43mm. Personally, I can cope with a 41mm, but any more and I find myself being limited.
My Mighty Mite P neck has these widths ...

nut - 41mm
5th fret - 49mm
12t fret - 57mm

neck depth ...

1st fret - 19mm
5th fret - 20.5mm
12th fret - 22.5mm
[/quote]

I've got a Mighty Mite Jazz neck - looks like the depth is similar to the ones on your P neck, but the widths are a bit less

nut - 38mm
5th - 47mm
12th - 56mm

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1393039476' post='2375590']
As you may have guessed, being an ibanez player, I'm used to slim, thin, fast necks, the neck on my precision is the proverbial baseball bat in comparison so I'm looking to swap it out for something a little more donslow friendly
[/quote]
If you don't mind me asking....if the neck on the P bass is not suitable why did you buy it?

Would it not have been a better option to buy a bass with a neck design that you liked?

I don't know where you are situated but I have a Ibby SR800, Precision with a Mighty Mite neck, couple of Squier Jazzes, Precision Lyte - all manner of shallower necks you could try to see how you get on with them. I am based in SE Essex.

The neck on my Ibanez is both narrower and shallower than any of my other basses. Next skinniest is the Precision Lyte (equal skinny with a Peavey Fury), next is a Squier Jazz Deluxe, then the Mighty Mite. They all feel different.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1393094421' post='2376192']

If you don't mind me asking....if the neck on the P bass is not suitable why did you buy it?

Would it not have been a better option to buy a bass with a neck design that you liked?
[/quote]

Just fancied a change of bass, plus I needed something more suitable for a new project I've just got up and running, better tone IMO, didn't really think too much about the neck, its tone I'm searching for, granted, I could get used to the precision neck in time but for a relatively cheap and easy swap, if I could get something closer to what I'm used to then great

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1393083094' post='2376016']

I've got a Mighty Mite Jazz neck - looks like the depth is similar to the ones on your P neck, but the widths are a bit less

nut - 38mm
5th - 47mm
12th - 56mm
[/quote]

Thank you all for taking the time to share your measurements (ooh err)

Will have little comparison between My p, my last ibanez and the measurements given Of the mighty mite and report back

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1393094861' post='2376194']
I don't know where you are situated but I have a Ibby SR800, Precision with a Mighty Mite neck, couple of Squier Jazzes, Precision Lyte - all manner of shallower necks you could try to see how you get on with them. I am based in SE Essex.

The neck on my Ibanez is both narrower and shallower than any of my other basses. Next skinniest is the Precision Lyte (equal skinny with a Peavey Fury), next is a Squier Jazz Deluxe, then the Mighty Mite. They all feel different.
[/quote]

Just sold an ibby sr800 hahaha got a 500 going up for sale soon

That's a very kind offer, as luck would have it, I'm in Chelmsford so not a million miles away, will have a little measure up and comparison and I may well take you up on that

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1393095323' post='2376198']
Just fancied a change of bass, plus I needed something more suitable for a new project I've just got up and running, better tone IMO, didn't really think too much about the neck, its tone I'm searching for, granted, I could get used to the precision neck in time but for a relatively cheap and easy swap, if I could get something closer to what I'm used to then great
[/quote]
I hope you find what you are looking for.....

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1393095323' post='2376198']
[/quote]

Be aware that changing the neck on your bass will affect the tone. The slimmer the neck the thinner the tone. I've chopped and changed necks many times on my Jazz and Precisions and you tend to get a twangier sound with a slim neck than with a deeper one. So be prepared for a twangier tone from your bass if you fit a slimmer neck. From personally experience, I've found the Mighty Mite necks are great quality for the price but sometimes need a bit of filing on the nuts to get a decent low action.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1393146372' post='2376536']

Be aware that changing the neck on your bass will affect the tone. The slimmer the neck the thinner the tone. I've chopped and changed necks many times on my Jazz and Precisions and you tend to get a twangier sound with a slim neck than with a deeper one. So be prepared for a twangier tone from your bass if you fit a slimmer neck. From personally experience, I've found the Mighty Mite necks are great quality for the price but sometimes need a bit of filing on the nuts to get a decent low action.
[/quote]

That's an interesting yet valid point regarding thinner necks and thinner tone, but I can't help buy wonder if it will really make that much if a difference to the tone considering the necks are fairly similar specced

Certainly a worthwhile point worth investigating, thankyou