Why become a member? ×

Markbass Dilemma

Kenny Gair

Hi all,

OK...dilemma. I have a wee Ampeg B2re tranny head that, despite what you may think about them, has been fantastic. Great wee head, loud and, coupled with a 4 ohm 4x10, sounds great. However, I am going to try out a Markbass TTE 500 later this week. Does anyone have any experience of the TTE 500? Particularly if you have played with both, I'd really appreciate your findings/thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Handwired, that's good info thanks. As I spend a lot of time playing blues/jazz style of music, the old school really appeals however, the lack of bottom end may pose a bit of a problem. Perhaps a different bass and style of play may change that....I'll see soon enough. I was a bit concerned about the DI only having post and not pre. All that said, that's the engineer's problem, not mine :-P

Cheers

Not used either of the amps mentioned in the original post, but have used a fair few Ampegs and Markbass amps/cabs along the way. I love Ampeg sound, but just can`t carry them anymore. Every time I heard a bassist whose sound I liked, it was either a Precision into Ampeg or a Precision into Markbass. So I went Markbass. They seem to sit in that same place in the mix as Ampeg, especially with a Precision. I don`t know about the TTE but I really have to watch the lows on my CMD121P & NY121, there are far more available than I need.

I've had one for a few weeks now, replacing an Orange TB500, and I love it. It's taken a lot of playing around with the gain/compressor/colour settings to find 'my' tone, but it sounds so much 'fatter' than the TB

Certainly sounds good through a BF Super 12T - and no shortage of bottom end <_<

It really did sound good with a Precision I had recently

I got mine brand new from Thomann, with a 3 year warranty, for not much more than some used ones on here

And as a bonus, the little orange LED's inside it add to the valve glow so it looks super-cool as well

Edited by davehux

[quote name='Kenny Gair' timestamp='1392908492' post='2374054']
How do you find the 15? I have a 4x10 and am sick of having a sore back but I like the 4ohm ness of it. I see the 15 is 8 Ohms..... bit concerned about having to buy two cabs to get the full 500w.
[/quote]

More than adequate for smaller venues, we played a social club last Sat night with it just as backline and then on the Sunday played the West of England Showground DI'd through the PA- huge large hall full of cars. I think Walman was using this rig with 2 of these cabs at one stage, you could ask him if he really needed them for a decent sound?

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1392973100' post='2374719']
I've had one for a few weeks now, replacing an Orange TB500, and I love it. It's taken a lot of playing around with the gain/compressor/colour settings to find 'my' tone, but it sounds so much 'fatter' than the TB

Certainly sounds good through a BF Super 12T - and no shortage of bottom end <_<

It really did sound good with a Precision I had recently

Can't quite see all your settings, could you list them on here please? I tend to favour a smooth sound so do not have the gain above 9' o clock.

I got mine brand new from Thomann, with a 3 year warranty, for not much more than some used ones on here

And as a bonus, the little orange LED's inside it add to the valve glow so it looks super-cool as well

[/quote]

Could you list your settings please, can't quite see them all! I tend to go for a smooth sound so gain is at 9'oclock.

Edited by yorks5stringer

My current settings (in clock format) are

Gain 12.00
Compressor 9.00
Bass 2.00
Mid 12.00
Treble 1.00
Colour - off or up to 9.00 depending on what I'm playing. Any more than that and I find it too mushy

It doesn't have the full-on dirty grind of the TB500 gain, but I like that. I want 'chunky' not 'dirty'

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1392979353' post='2374812']
My current settings (in clock format) are

Gain 12.00
Compressor 9.00
Bass 2.00
Mid 12.00
Treble 1.00
Colour - off or up to 9.00 depending on what I'm playing. Any more than that and I find it too mushy

It doesn't have the full-on dirty grind of the TB500 gain, but I like that. I want 'chunky' not 'dirty'
[/quote]

Ta, I'll give it a spin.

I had a TTE500 for a few weeks.
Same here, couldn't get any bottom out of it for love nor money.
Cabs I tried it with.....Barefaced BigOne, Techsoundsystems ND410s and a Trace 1048.
I tried some fancy valves in it as well but to no avail.
B)

The TTE has a fairly tight bottom end (which I quite like with my cabs) especially with the passive bass control below about 2 o'clock. I've used a Zoom B3 before to open it up a little more (very successfully) but it will depend on your cabs and bass too. All my cabs are Markbass and sound great with the TTE but I've tried it with an Ampeg 410HLF and it sounded fantastic too.

A lot of people complain about the Streamliner being too flabby on the bottom end but I suppose it's personal taste and your cabs, style etc.

I'm still loving mine.