Why become a member? ×

I dont get it

ARGH

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='237388' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:33 PM']I promise not to post on forums any more when I've been out on the lash. Can't say fairer than that.

Sorry. :)[/quote]

Forgiven! Have a great weekend everyone - mine starts in 35 minutes and I'll be gigging at a new venue later this evening.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='237409' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:57 PM']Forgiven! Have a great weekend everyone - mine starts in 35 minutes and I'll be gigging at a new venue later this evening.[/quote]

Covers or originals? :)

Only kidding, have a great show!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='237006' date='Jul 11 2008, 01:19 AM']I can't believe people can be smug about playing sh*te for a living. I may not make a living playing bass, but at least when I pick up a bass it's not to make money out of it. I still do it for the right reasons.[/quote]
So if you were starving and could have a tenner for playing "Mustang Sally" or nothing at all for playing your own composition, I take it you'd be convincing yourself that anorexic was the look that suited you...

[quote name='Rich' post='237036' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:08 AM']ARGH, mate I'm sorry for going so off-piste but I couldn't let that pass.[/quote]
Yeah I saw the little anti covers post first thing this morning,and sat back...and thought about it,and then....thought a little more.

And went to work,knowing about 10 persons would do everything that I wanted to say.

With my spin on covers,to which Im doing the Harley Davidson Rally in Malton in about 3 hrs,is this...

Due to covers,I have:-
Better stamina,I can stand onstage do 3hrs,and pack up,and sod off home....Most Kids or originals bands are blown out by the 1 hr mark

Better equipment,I just have,no arguement,we want the best,and we know its the best,because it works...and HAS to work everytime we plug it in,as nice as that ratty old combo gets you by in the rehearsal/bedroom,its gonna probably crap out ASAP as soon as it touches a stage.I had a massive barny with a few 'mates' over this,and those slaggings and general sniggers dissappear very quickly when a DI or decent bass needs to be borrowed for a gig/recording etc...and when they see the quality and reliability of gear. I dont rub it in,my stuff pretty unflashy,but I know It works.

Bills paid,nuff said,I need to eat,feed,clothe,and in some cases buy Bass stuff,though elecy/Gas/water etc,come a'knocking and It feels good that you can just pay them,without having to pull out the plastic.

My house,yes,true,they did.

The ability to read,Chord charts,songs on the fly...yep,its that surprise element,I can also get out of trouble onstage,better than most. My ears are more alert to foul ups as well.I aint perfect,but Im good.

Money in my pocket.

IT FEELS NICE!

[quote name='tauzero' post='237446' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:51 PM']So if you were starving and could have a tenner for playing "Mustang Sally" or nothing at all for playing your own composition, I take it you'd be convincing yourself that anorexic was the look that suited you...[/quote]

I'd go get a job, tbh.

Anyway I'd rather not get into that particular argument again - I've already apologised for last night's outburst.

[quote name='ARGH' post='237487' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:49 PM']Yeah I saw the little anti covers post first thing this morning,and sat back...and thought about it,and then....thought a little more.

And went to work,knowing about 10 persons would do everything that I wanted to say.

With my spin on covers,to which Im doing the Harley Davidson Rally in Malton in about 3 hrs,is this...

Due to covers,I have:-
Better stamina,I can stand onstage do 3hrs,and pack up,and sod off home....Most Kids or originals bands are blown out by the 1 hr mark

Better equipment,I just have,no arguement,we want the best,and we know its the best,because it works...and HAS to work everytime we plug it in,as nice as that ratty old combo gets you by in the rehearsal/bedroom,its gonna probably crap out ASAP as soon as it touches a stage.I had a massive barny with a few 'mates' over this,and those slaggings and general sniggers dissappear very quickly when a DI or decent bass needs to be borrowed for a gig/recording etc...and when they see the quality and reliability of gear. I dont rub it in,my stuff pretty unflashy,but I know It works.

Bills paid,nuff said,I need to eat,feed,clothe,and in some cases buy Bass stuff,though elecy/Gas/water etc,come a'knocking and It feels good that you can just pay them,without having to pull out the plastic.

My house,yes,true,they did.

The ability to read,Chord charts,songs on the fly...yep,its that surprise element,I can also get out of trouble onstage,better than most. My ears are more alert to foul ups as well.I aint perfect,but Im good.

Money in my pocket.

IT FEELS NICE![/quote]

Sounding positive today ARGH :)

[quote name='Jase' post='237540' date='Jul 11 2008, 07:39 PM']Sounding positive today ARGH :)[/quote]
I was,but an incident at tonights gigs really ,sort of ,flattened me out.

For the record,Sometimes,its a real bitch having a screwed up head,its late,and Im not thinking straight. I want to switch off and relax,but I cant,i just have to wait. You have to wait for the low to 'bottom out' as it were/was..and then you climb again.

[quote name='ARGH' post='237752' date='Jul 12 2008, 01:44 AM']I was,but an incident at tonights gigs really ,sort of ,flattened me out.[/quote]

Was that the bikers or just being in Malton? Malton freaks me out a bit too - the missus' family is from up there so I end up there for lunch most Sundays. It's turning into a proper little BNP town these days.

I play both covers and originals, a lot of each!
And I have to say that I really enjoy the covers band I'm in, I think perhaps if i wasn't in that band I wouldn't rush out to join another, for me, it's more about enjoying the people I play with, they make it a lot of fun!

But I agree with ARGH, covers work can do wonders for your stamina, it also teaches you how to deal with problems on the fly, listening and watching your other band members, thinking on your feet. That's something that I agree you can't pickup during 30min originals shows very easily, but the skills are definitly transferable!! A lot of purely originals players I know couldn't improvise an accidental arrangement change if they had a map :)

Nice one!

Si

[quote name='ARGH' post='237752' date='Jul 12 2008, 12:44 AM']I was,but an incident at tonights gigs really ,sort of ,flattened me out.

For the record,Sometimes,its a real bitch having a screwed up head,its late,and Im not thinking straight. I want to switch off and relax,but I cant,i just have to wait. You have to wait for the low to 'bottom out' as it were/was..and then you climb again.[/quote]

Incident? Gig didn't go to well then?

[quote name='Jase' post='238023' date='Jul 12 2008, 04:10 PM']Incident? Gig didn't go to well then?[/quote]

Naaa, ARGH was just annoyed that someone in the crowd exclaimed while he was playing the 9 "why have the band got 2 guitarists and no bass player"

:huh:

I'M JOOOOKKKING! :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='238035' date='Jul 12 2008, 03:31 PM']Naaa, ARGH was just annoyed that someone in the crowd exclaimed while he was playing the 9 "why have the band got 2 guitarists and no bass player"

:huh:

I'M JOOOOKKKING! :)

Si[/quote]

:huh: ....t'was a bit funny ARGH! YOU GOTTA LAUGH!

[quote name='Jase' post='238023' date='Jul 12 2008, 04:10 PM']Incident? Gig didn't go to well then?[/quote]
Some berk,chinese whispers,and general bullshit,I wont say what exactly happend,but it was an annoyance un-needed.

Can I just say,I am the bands lead Bassist. I was only using the 4 last night,and was frustrated that it was so limiting..tiring too,climbing the neck up/down/up/down,tonight I may go 6...or fretless,whatever the mood may take me.

Thing is,the Fender sounds great....And I have 6 packs of strings to get through.

[quote name='ARGH' post='238080' date='Jul 12 2008, 04:23 PM']Some berk,chinese whispers,and general bullshit,I wont say what exactly happend,but it was an annoyance un-needed.

Can I just say,I am the bands lead Bassist. I was only using the 4 last night,and was frustrated that it was so limiting..tiring too,climbing the neck up/down/up/down,tonight I may go 6...or fretless,whatever the mood may take me.

Thing is,the Fender sounds great....And I have 6 packs of strings to get through.[/quote]

Give that Fender some stick...climb that neck boy!! :)

ARGH, sounds to me mate that you're going about the whole originals thing in the wrong way. The band I play in at the moment, we got started through all being mates and hanging out a lot - it helped that I was doing sound and another lad was bart manager at the local rock pit, but the points still valid. I think you need to hang out with some similarly-frustrated musicians that are into similar stuff, then just hope you find some people you have a genuine connection with, then you can start makin some music!
I think your approach to things has been tainted by the whole covers side of things - in a wholly commercial venture such as a covers band, things are very much mercenary in nature - you go in there with a mission statement and business plan and crank it out. (Thats not to say there's no room for friendships and banter etc., but if you aint up to scratch there's only one way its gonna end...)
In my experience, the originals thing has to start with a great rapport between everyone - not necessarily chummy bestest pals, but there's gotta be a vibe - that leads to sparks when writing and when on stage. When auditioning new folks for bands, I've always gone on personality over ability - no amount of strings / flashy playing / great gear is going to help you when you're 10 days on the road, not eaten real food for a week and stuck in traffic for 5 hours in 30 degree heat and no air conditioning. Maybe I'm weird, but thats what does it for me. ability / gear etc. can be worked on, but if you're a c**t then you're stuck that way for life!
Not that that applies to you, I'd say. You seem like the right person for many bands - brash, f***ed up, in-yer-face and most of passionate to the hilt about music. Don't stop, keep going. Find some cool people and get jammin!

Oh yeah, and I have also found the vast majority of people in bands from the general Leeds area to be total scenester pricks interested only inlicking the arse of whatever music rag is currently coolest to offer free reach arounds to. I can recommend Tamworth (Club Vertigo), Oldham (Jackson's Pit) and Burnley (Sanctuary) from personal experience to be cool places to hang out, lots of friendly people about.

[quote name='metaltime' post='238686' date='Jul 13 2008, 07:12 PM']does your covers band not fancy doing some original stuff too?[/quote]
I doubt they are even capable.....or would want to.

The guitarist is 58,singers 54,Keys is late 40s,the drummer...I tried suggesting he come and jam with me,he didnt want to do that because there was no money to be made.....Im the youngest at 30.

With my bitchmoaning hat on again,Its endemic around here.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='240000' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:32 PM']Funny how as well in the UK as in Belgium the same problems and topics surface...doubts about playing, commitment, covers yes or no...?
It's the same thing everywhere I guess... whatever happened or happens I still play bass.[/quote]

Hi wombatboter,

So how would you describe the live scene in Belgium? :)

Last night & today I scoured all the websites (partysounds,Formingbands,Bandmix etc),reupdated my details,any extra info,on what I can do,and into....put new ads up....I seem to do this EVERY 3 months,its quite depressing me.

Worryingly there ISNT anything about,unless I was 15 again,It saddens me,but I scan for hours,and cant find anything or anyone with much in common,once again,covers and covers/Indie/pop punk bands galore,but nowt else.

I feel slightly doomed,as Ive had a shot in the sun and botched it.....Where did all the bands go.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='242081' date='Jul 17 2008, 06:59 PM']Last night & today I scoured all the websites (partysounds,Formingbands,Bandmix etc),reupdated my details,any extra info,on what I can do,and into....put new ads up....I seem to do this EVERY 3 months,its quite depressing me.

Worryingly there ISNT anything about,unless I was 15 again,It saddens me,but I scan for hours,and cant find anything or anyone with much in common,once again,covers and covers/Indie/pop punk bands galore,but nowt else.

I feel slightly doomed,as Ive had a shot in the sun and botched it.....Where did all the bands go.[/quote]

The annoying thing about those sites is hardly anybody replies after the first contact, been looking myself lately and out of about 12 pm's and dozens of posts on the forums some of these sites have, I can honestly say, 3 bands/musicians have had the courtesy to actually get back and say, "no thanks" or "sorry we're sorted".....so many ignorant "musicians" around. Hard work I reckon!

[quote name='Jase' post='242284' date='Jul 18 2008, 12:07 AM']The annoying thing about those sites is hardly anybody replies after the first contact, been looking myself lately and out of about 12 pm's and dozens of posts on the forums some of these sites have, I can honestly say, 3 bands/musicians have had the courtesy to actually get back and say, "no thanks" or "sorry we're sorted".....so many ignorant "musicians" around. Hard work I reckon![/quote]

I've had good results from formingbands and bandmix. Actually my "main" band at the moment came from an initial contact at bandmix, and it turned out the girl who'd sent me the message lived about 100 yards away.

I've also been in regular contact with another band that can't seem to keep bass players; they're a folk outfit and I keep telling them that I don't think I'd be suitable, but every six months or so after the next guy's quit they come back and say it "might be interesting" to have a nutcase with a huge pedalboard playing bass for them. It surely would be interesting for me, but I still don't think they'd dig it.

And that's just the two gigs I've been interested in. Had lots of contacts from other bands, mostly cover bands or rockers or other samey-sounding stuff that I'm too old to bother with. I get regular contacts on both of them.

Maybe I should write a thread about how to advertise yourself on musician dating sites. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken