Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New bass (slightly drunken!) thoughts.

Phil Adams

Have spent a few hours in Anderton's in Guildford over the last 2 days, and have amassed a few observations I would like to share if I may.
Great shop, no complaints about that or their staff, only compliments!
I was intent on buying a 5 sting Ibanez SR 305, but couldn't commit to it. The thought of being a barely adequate 4 string player VS a severely struggling 5 string player finally won.
Fact, as I see it. Every Ibanez you pick up from the bottom of the range to the top has a fantastic, beautifully get up neck and inspires without even resorting to the EQ. But the recessed jack socket on the 300 and upwards whilst looking cool, is too tight and bound result in chips outa the wood.
I tried a Squier 5 string Jazz. Beautiful looking with maple neck, block inlaid markers and black bindings, but the tone pot was as crackly as barbequed pork. Today they had an identical S/H one and the pots were fine!!!
I have fallen head over t*t for the 2104 Gibson SG in cherry stain. Yes, I would love to have been Jack Bruce (tho' he now only seems to play Warwicks) but the action is a bit higher than I would like and looking at that poxy 3 point bridge I wonder if I could set it up to suit me. The 30.5" scale concerns me. Does that mean I'm spoiled for any other bass I might want to play? Looking down the 12th fret is equivalent to about D flat on a 34" scale bass (like my others are) I ain't clever enough to translate stuff into two different scale lengths and spacings am I?
And YES, contrary to popular belief (spread mainly by guitards) I do play above the 5th fret, and often do mainly on one string to maintain the consistency of volume and tone.
So there you are, the observations of a slightly tipsy bass buyer after 2 hard but fruitless days shopping in the excellent Anderton's in Guildford. Mrs Phil spent the afternoon in TK Maxx, so all was quiet on that front!!! Should I go back tomorrow and bag that SG, it felt more right that any other bass I've played so far, and you've got to play a few to know, right? But the 30" scale???

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1392499259' post='2369521']
I have fallen head over t*t for the 2104 Gibson SG in cherry stain. Yes, I would love to have been Jack Bruce (tho' he now only seems to play Warwicks) but the action is a bit higher than I would like and looking at that poxy 3 point bridge I wonder if I could set it up to suit me. The 30.5" scale concerns me. Does that mean I'm spoiled for any other bass I might want to play? Looking down the 12th fret is equivalent to about D flat on a 34" scale bass (like my others are) I ain't clever enough to translate stuff into two different scale lengths and spacings am I?
Should I go back tomorrow and bag that SG, it felt more right that any other bass I've played so far, and you've got to play a few to know, right? But the 30" scale???
[/quote]

Sounds to me like the SG is the right bass, regardless of concerns. If your hands/fingers find this bass better than any others, any of these concerns pale into insignificance - go get it.

Thanks chaps, I was hoping to get another sneaky chance to play one again today whilst Mrs Phil was shopping but it all fell through. The cold light of (sober) dawn didn't dampen my enthusiasm for the SG. One thing I didn't mention last night is that I found it difficult to get much tonal variation from the controls, which are 2 volume and one tone. But then again I'm not one for bothering to fiddle much, I'm sure I could dial it in on the amp anyway. One thing that attracts me to it anyway is that it's NOT active, so you won't need a pocketful of PP3s every time you go out. The EB3 of course has more controls but just doesn't feel the same.