Why become a member? ×

D'addarios - wowzers

paul_5

after using Rotosounds for many a year (and a few more) I bought a set of D'addario ProSteels last night, as they were the only round wounds they had in my size from my small, local music shop.

Wow. What a difference - really balanced, punchy and just the right tension too. :)

I used a variety of D'Addario XLs in different gauge sets for maybe ten years of more (after moving from Rotosounds!!) They're reasonably priced, sound/play great and I never felt that I had a poor string in that time.

On the flipside, I found they went off fairly quickly and over seven or eight basses, I was buying two sets a month. Last year, I decided to try a set of Elixir Nanowebs on one of the basses and it's been eye opening, so much so, I'm transitioning all of them to Elixirs. Much as I love(d) D'Adds, one set of Elixirs has been on my NR TB for pretty much a year now and they still sound great. OK, the Elixirs are two or three times more expensive, but I've actually spent less on strings as they last so long. Give 'em a go and prepare to be astonished again!
P

Great strings. I prefer Dean Markley Blue Steels for SS sets but the Pro Steels are almost as good.
I used to use EXL 175's almost exclusively until about two weeks ago when I purchased a set for the 6 string. Turned out there was no D string in the box. That was the 4th set of EXL's that had a fault in a couple of months so I'm switching to something else.

If you get a hankering for a string that's a little less bright then the EXLs are worth a punt.

If you like a super bright string then you'll be buying multiple sets a month anyways. 99% of the time the A,D,G strings are fine so just buy a single E string. Elixers will deteriorate just like every other string. Use a plec and the coating shreds. Capillary action takes care of the rest. Straight out of the box they're about as bright as my strings are when they come off the bass so they're a no no for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also like to chime in and say the Flexsteels are ace too. I have a six string set on my Gerald Veasley bass at the moment and they feel great. D'Addario will be at the London Bass Guitar Show on Saturday. I know they will have a bass with Flexsteels on to try out on their stand and I will be doing a bit of playing/demoing on the stand too!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Prosteels once, great strings at first, died dramatically after three gigs and two four hour rehearsals. Bought a set of Nano's last summer, still on now. Maybe a smidge less zing but nothing as dead as them dead 'Steels.
Sure, they get a little feathered with a pick but what the heck.