Why become a member? ×

I'm the new hero of the band.....and I (quite) like it.

gjones

Having played bass with, original, covers and blues bands. I've become used to being ignored by the general public (I'm sure you all know where I'm coming from). But recently, a guitarist I play with in another band, asked me to form a Ska/Reggae outfit with him. And all of a sudden, I've had the pleasure of people coming up to me, after every show, and shaking my hand to congratulate me on my playing and tell how much they enjoyed the gig.

I can only assume that because ska and reggae are so bass orientated, that they are focusing on the bass guitar in preference to the other instruments.

I'm not complaining. I kinda like the attention. I think It's time I got a pay rise :)

The first blues festival I ever played I was asked for an autograph...that was weird..I had no idea how to react. A mumbled thank you and a signature was all I could manage. But the strangest was being asked for an autograph when clearing the stage after a gig, I was only engineering. It didn't matter how many times I told them I wasn't in the band, they would not take no for an answer.

I find now if someone compliments me on my playing, a thank you, shake of the hand and a 'I'm glad you enjoyed the gig' seem to go down well.