Why become a member? ×

Overwater Scott Devine sign bass - what to expect?

GregB

'Have an opportunity to check out an Overwater Scott Devine sigature bass locally. I read about it on Overwater's web site and saw Scott's youtube video demonstrating the bass. I am in the market for a five string bass with narrow string spacing and 33", so on paper it looks perfect for me. :)

However, I haven't really been able to find any very reviews and I don't know anything about Overwater basses, so I was hoping someone would share their opinions/experience about the bass so I know what to expect.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks man. I already saw the video and read the specs on Overwaters web site. Was more after personal opinions and hands on experience. As it so happens I bought the bass today and will run it by a local luthier to have it adjusted for my liking. :)

So far I've been very impressed with the bass. Great playability and the tone controls seem amazing.

[quote name='GregBlach' timestamp='1392019134' post='2363529']
'I am in the market for a five string bass with narrow string spacing and 33", so on paper it looks perfect for me. :)

[/quote]

Quite how many more omens do you want?

Established UK luthier with a great reputation - check
Five strings - check
33" scale - check
Narrow spacing - check
Video demonstration articulating design philosophy - check
Look great - check

Go and try it... sounds perfect for you???

Thanks for the inputs, gents.

Visog, as I wrote I was looking for real-life user experience and honest opinions. The specs were great and the video too, but still nice to get an honest and direct review.

Anyway, as it turned out I really, really liked the bass and bought it. Great playability and gorgeous tone controls.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='GregBlach' timestamp='1392488872' post='2369400']
Thanks for the inputs, gents.

Visog, as I wrote I was looking for real-life user experience and honest opinions. The specs were great and the video too, but still nice to get an honest and direct review.

Anyway, as it turned out I really, really liked the bass and bought it. Great playability and gorgeous tone controls.
[/quote]

Sorry to resurrect this thread but do you know if the SD signature is customisable? Every spec on this bass is pointing towards being the perfect bass for me but the one thing id want to change is the pickup placement. Does anyone know if it is possible to have them further apart, more like a traditional overwater pickup setup?

To be honest, if someone who owns one could give me feedback on how the pickup placement works/sounds, I might even be convinced to keep it as is.

Any feedback would be great as I don't really want to bother the folks at overwater with such a small thing!

Edited by skej21

If Overwater build it for you you can have anything you want, within reason.

They are fantastic basses! Having the pickups in that position just means it doesn't quite have the breadth of tone that others with wider spaced pickups might have. You can't move the neck pickup any closer to the neck as it sits right up against the neck pocket. The bridge pickup could be moved if you want.

They are not cheap basses but they are worth every penny. When I ordered mine I spent three hours with Chris and Martin discussing the options. I adore mine and wouldn't be parted from it.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1408456199' post='2530343']
If Overwater build it for you you can have anything you want, within reason.

They are fantastic basses! Having the pickups in that position just means it doesn't quite have the breadth of tone that others with wider spaced pickups might have. You can't move the neck pickup any closer to the neck as it sits right up against the neck pocket. The bridge pickup could be moved if you want.

They are not cheap basses but they are worth every penny. When I ordered mine I spent three hours with Chris and Martin discussing the options. I adore mine and wouldn't be parted from it.
[/quote]

Money is not an issue. I've been looking at specs and pricing a number of custom basses if I can find what I like. Out of all of them, the Scott Devine really caught my eye as the 16.5mm string spacing is the one thing I consider essential. Outside of that, I'd choose to have walnut or buckeye top (the walnut is already standard on the SD model) and I like the idea of the 33" scale length. I also like the idea of buying British.

Outside of that, I would quite like the scope to have a versatile bass tonally as it will be used for reading gigs and gigs where I need to be able to play a large range of repertoire, meaning I would like a large tonal palette. As such, I'd quite like to have the 'bridge' pickup slightly closer to the bridge.

Might be time to really settle on spec and get an email off!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1408460929' post='2530408']
Money is not an issue. I've been looking at specs and pricing a number of custom basses if I can find what I like. Out of all of them, the Scott Devine really caught my eye as the 16.5mm string spacing is the one thing I consider essential. Outside of that, I'd choose to have walnut or buckeye top (the walnut is already standard on the SD model) and I like the idea of the 33" scale length. I also like the idea of buying British.

Outside of that, I would quite like the scope to have a versatile bass tonally as it will be used for reading gigs and gigs where I need to be able to play a large range of repertoire, meaning I would like a large tonal palette. As such, I'd quite like to have the 'bridge' pickup slightly closer to the bridge.

Might be time to really settle on spec and get an email off!
[/quote]

"it will be used for reading gigs and gigs where I need to be able to play a large range of repertoire, meaning I would like a large tonal palette"

Would you want it EADGC or BEADG?

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1408461318' post='2530417']

"it will be used for reading gigs and gigs where I need to be able to play a large range of repertoire, meaning I would like a large tonal palette"

Would you want it EADGC or BEADG?
[/quote]

BEADG. I do too many theatre gigs with low Ds and Cs to not have the low B string. As far as tone goes, i need to be able to dial in passive precision style sounds to slap tones and modern mid-heavy jazz tones. The SD video would seem to show that the bass overs exactly that!

I've just put a video up on Youtube of my fretless. Might give an idea of the tones. Unfortunately it doesn't make me play like Scott Devine.

EDIT: video re-rendered as the first one was c*%p quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkmZAfWWBwc

Edited by BassBus

I think, but I'm by no way certain here, that Scott's signature 5-string is EADGC? I've had two 33-inch scale 5-string basses strung BEADG and didn't like either. Neither was an SD Signature but they were both pretty expensive handmade basses and the B was just too floppy on both of them for me to want to keep them. They were okay strung EADGC but I still moved them both on for 34-inch scale.

Edited by thebassist

Yes it was designed to be EADGC. I have seen posts by people tuning it B-G instead and claiming it's fine, but really the laws of physics and most other manufacturers reckon you need at least a 34 if not 35 inch scale for excellent B performance. However, I've been flamed for this opinion on Scott's own forum ages ago so I'll shut up. :)

Having owned my bass for months now I must say I REALLY like it. I have owned a great variation of 4, 5 and 6 strings basses with both 34", 35" and 36" necks. I only ever felt comfortable with the 34" necks. Longer scales are not for me. 33" is the best I have tried so far. 'Guess I have small hands and short arms. :gas:

I have no personal experience with B-G on 33". I have heard people claim that even the E string will sound floppy with 33" but this is simply not true. Put on a thicker string if you feel it is necessary and problem solved. I don't know about a B string though. Perhaps Chris May can answer that question the best?

A couple of things I would change if I ordered the bass new:

- I would install a single bass ramp pickup cover to house the two pickups. The cover should have the same radius as the fret board and would be more comfortable and relaxing for the right hand, for example:

- I am not a fan of the individual bridge pieces they use on the SD bass. The idea is great but I don't like the quality and adjust-ability mechanism. There might be better ones out there (I hope). If you decide to use them after all please consider having string ferrules installed so you can go strings through body. I am considering having that done on my bass.

- Alternatively you could install a single piece bridge instead with the very nice and comfortable 16.5mm string spacing, which is an absolute joy to play.

- Ask for the battery case on the back of the body to be counter sunk so it is flush with the body (for better looks).

- Make sure to explain very well the action you expect from the finished bass. I for example like an extremely low action, which many guitar techs/luthiers have a hard time understanding/doing, so it might be something they need to consider already while building you new bass.

Oh yeah, and please share pictures! Best of luck from Denmark. :D