Why become a member? ×

Thinking about lakland

patrikmarky

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1391874260' post='2362205']
I can only find The Gallery and Guitar Guitar. Stocks are low, most things by order. That to me is not good distribution, The last twice I have mailed them responses have been relatively quick admittedly. The responses were both sadly negative though.
[/quote]
I suspect, by the time you add on the UK distributor profit, vat and import duty, they come out rather expensive.
I have had a 5502 brillint bass but one string too many, a 4402, wish I had kept it, and korean jo osbourne.
I still have, a USA model jo osbourne, which I adore, its the only jazz bass I have ever kept, A metallic green Bob Glaub although it only has a model number now, and a Jerry Scheff
They have all been consitantly good, unlike fenders where some are good, and some not so good.
I have bought every single lakland direct from the USA because they were not available here or were expensive. The exchange rate isnt as good now but I would be quite happy to buy from a USA shop and even with duty and VAT you will probably save some money.
Add 25% of the price quoted in the USA and you wont be far off,

I didn't read all the comments but I had the pleasure to try some older american mades and newer skyline basses. I am sorry I have to say this, but there is a HUGE difference between these. skyline models are nice, but older usa mades are really fantastic instruments that can do jb,pb and mm close enough. BUT - even these ones you'll have to play 1st, before you spend some big money.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1391922530' post='2362663']
I didn't read all the comments but I had the pleasure to try some older american mades and newer skyline basses. I am sorry I have to say this, but there is a HUGE difference between these. skyline models are nice, but older usa mades are really fantastic instruments that can do jb,pb and mm close enough. BUT - even these ones you'll have to play 1st, before you spend some big money.
[/quote]

When the dudepit was up and running I remember a comment that went something like 90% of the bass for less than half the money and I think that fair. Korean Laklands are sent to lakland USA where they are finished off including plek. The finish on the korean is very good but theUSA is terrific. The difference between Korean and USA is more about finishing touches, like on my Joe, it has birdseye maplle dots and graphite reinforcement on the neck, the tuners are different on the skyline and the woods are different. I beleive the pickups are the same, so I dont agree that there is huge difference apart from price.

Edited by bumnote

....there is a HUGE difference between these. skyline models are nice, but older usa mades are really fantastic instruments....
[/quote]

I haven't played a Skyline but if they are half as good as my 1997 US Lakland they will be great.

[/quote]

There really is no difference between the USA - made basses that Lakland are turning out now and the ones from when Dan Lakin was in charge. Bear in mind that Dan Lakin didn't actually build the basses himself. He has no lutherie skills as such, and very wisely employed other people to do that job. I know the folks at Lakland, and it is quite literally the exact same people doing exactly the same jobs in the factory as have being them for several years before Dan bowed out, albeit in a new and much-improved factory nowadays. When John Pirrucello took over it was a continuation of the old regime rather than a new one.

My experience has been that the Skylines, like U.S.A Fenders, can be a bit hit and miss in getting a good one. I've had two myself and one was O.K but not great and the other ( a fretless) is amazingly good and easily as good as much more expensive basses I have played and owned. The U.S.A -made basses are what Lakland is all about , though ( and I think the proliferation of Skylines makes a lot of people lose sight of that) , and they are some of the most consistently well-made and great-sounding basses I have ever played and owned. They just sound so good and feel very good to use, and that is why so many top pro's use them as their working basses.

I would venture that, slightly perversely, the simpler, more straightforward basses that Lakland make are the ones that actually benefit for the most from being U.S.A- made. Or at least what I would say is that the Skyline 44-02s and 55-02s come closer to the sound and feel of the American -made counterparts than the Skyline Glaubs, DJ's and Joe Osborn basses do to the American-made versions of those passive designs. This is , of course, a big generalisation on my part, and the USA 44-94 and 55-94 are still preferable to the Skylines in absolute terms, but I just think that, to some degree at least, because they rely more on their more modern and hitech and pickups and electronics for the sound that the overall difference is slightly less than the Fender-derived designs.

Edited by Dingus

Ive owned a 55- 01and thought it was ok for the price nothing speical.ive just bought a lakland dj5 and seems great havnt gigged with it yet.i prefer large spacing between strings on a 5 string .might take the place of my trb1005 and that takes some beating only paid £300 for the trb.i'll find out more when I gig with the dj5

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1392327171' post='2367552']
I am looking at a 55-94 delux, I think. I don't understand the number system is there a list that tell you which is which ?
I know it's a USA version I want but what's the difference between a 55-14 or 55-94
[/quote]

The 55-14 is a more basic version of the 55-95 . It is essentially exactly the same bass made with the same materials in the same way, but is offered in a very limited number of finishes, and with less heavily figured wood for the fingerboard as a way of offering the same bass at a lower price point.

• 1 year later...

I`ve bought 55-94 Deluxe (USA,2001, "Old" Barts) three years ago. Some of my fellows said US Lackie is one of few basses you can buy without holding it in hands. So I decided to give it a try.

My bass had hardly been used for 10 years, and lived in damp climate US state. When it came, I was greatly dissapointed. It didn`t sound as should sound US $2k bass. In fact, I thought then that it sounds not better than my previous instrument - korean-made $500 Tune 5-stringer. The neck was very unstable also, I used to adjust the truss rod once a week.

Well, time went by and the bass have been used to our climate. Now I play it regularly, more then earlier, and it sounds better and better, and it`s not only my opinion. In fact is sounds terrific now :) Huge, very defined, with soliid bottom and low-mids, the highs are enough but not harsh. The old barts (recessed logo) do lack high-mids to some extent, but I`m ok with that. People usually reflect it in saying that those barts sound "mellow". I love it. It`s just like bass canon. One thing I should add - the more instruments are in a band, the better you hear the bass. Strange, but true. Don`t even think to hide in the mix with ash-body 55-94 :)

Personally, I think the process of wood drying (and constant playing) is the key to great sound. This makes 70`s Jazzes sound good now (although It`s known they was regarded as deteriorated that time). This is the very fact that makes older 90`s Lackie sound so good. And I believe, I'm just experiencing this with my bass right now.

Edited by Wheelly

I owned a 44-02 Deluxe for a little while, and was thoroughly underwhelmed by it. Lovely figured top, average neck, very plain maple fingerboard. Bartolini pickups and a preamp which was just very polite. So I wouldn't hurry to own that side of the project range again.
That said, I am always intrigued with the passive 'Fender'-alike side of the range, strangely I very much like their over-sized, faux clay fingerboard dots.
Seen Dave Bronze play a few times recently, and his Lakland Jazz (not sure on model) always sounds awesome!

Si

I've had a sh*tload of them, mostly Us but also older Skyline, but made some "cleansing" lately. The ones I use are US 55-94, Skyline 55-02 fretless and US Bob Glaub PJ for blues kind of gigs. The 55-94 has long been my "to go" bass, but the fretless Skyline is of the same caliber and a real favourite too. Now I have a beautiful Dingwall 6 string that will get more attention, but these three Lakies will always have work...

The WW SS1 far right is for sale...