Why become a member? ×

Oh god I just had the fright of my life...

Sarah5string

Spent a while playing with my new Dean 4 string... came to play a song that required my lucious 5 string so swapped over, plugged in, turned on.....

and nothing.

No sound, no life... just.... nothing....

When I came to and picked myself up off the floor I started panicking. We'd been on holiday the past week, had someone broken in knocked my beautiful baby about and then stood it back up next to my amp???? Had it been knocked over without me knowing?? What if it was broken? Dead? Left to decay next to my amp like some abandoned orphan.....

it was all too much...

fighting back the tears I unscrewed the back panel...... nothing was astray? No wires had been maliciously cut by unknown burglars, everything seemed to be in order..

I twiddled with wires..

I poked random bits of metal, hoping to ignite a small spark of life from by precious baby..

Nothing. But then I remembered something... a small crucial piece of information that was the fine line between bass life and death...

and so I said to myself...

''FFS Sarah, it's an active bass you muppet... change the bloody battery...''

D'oh!
*Sigh*

Edited by Sarah5string

Samson Airline wireless - eats batteries for fun. When we do Mustang Sally we get a couple of ladies from the audiece to sing "ride Sally ride" and if its a tiny stage like last night I go and play the bass from in the audience - normally entertains the punters. Literally the very next song the receiver dies and I finish the song singing the bassline :wub:

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='233397' date='Jul 5 2008, 11:51 PM']Samson Airline wireless - eats batteries for fun.[/quote]

Yeah,I thought that of mine too,the transmitters ok,but the receiver,to be frank needs to be plugged in. I swear Im keeping Duracell in research money.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='233397' date='Jul 5 2008, 11:51 PM']Samson Airline wireless - eats batteries for fun.[/quote]

[quote name='ARGH' post='233412' date='Jul 6 2008, 12:13 AM']Yeah,I thought that of mine too,the transmitters ok,but the receiver,to be frank needs to be plugged in. I swear Im keeping Duracell in research money.[/quote]
Yes. And I did a search for the AC adapter and guess how many etailer that sell the wireless sell the AC to go with it?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='233415' date='Jul 6 2008, 12:21 AM']Yes. And I did a search for the AC adapter and guess how many etailer that sell the wireless sell the AC to go with it?[/quote]
Less than zero? Like the people that sell the Tech 21 footswitch.

Edited by ARGH

Yesterday my friend knocked an orchestral stand squarely, and with full force, into the body of my Zon. I couldn't actually bear to look at it for a minute or so, but when I did examine it there was no discernible damage whatsoever! Either the finish is extremely durable or I was unbelievably lucky.

My friend was somewhat distraught at what he'd done and very apologetic, but I tend to take a fairly pragmatic view of such things - a bass is only an object after all. I'm glad I didn't get angry and shout at him :)

Glad your bass is okay too; having been an active bass user for a long time I always try to make sure that I have a spare PP9 in my gig bag.

The amount of gigs i have started panicing at because i have plugged the input and outputs in my tuner round the wrong way, then i'm ike no sound ? why no sound so i do the usual thing (start turning everything up) then when i work out the problem i forget to turn the amp down and bang 10 deaf punters.

[quote name='Mokl' post='233470' date='Jul 6 2008, 10:05 AM']Glad your bass is okay too; having been an active bass user for a long time I always try to make sure that I have a spare PP9 in my gig bag.[/quote]+1
Damn right, I take about 10 of the buggers to every gig. You can never have too much money, too many pants or too many spare Duracells :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='233415' date='Jul 6 2008, 12:21 AM']Yes. And I did a search for the AC adapter and guess how many etailer that sell the wireless sell the AC to go with it?[/quote]

[quote name='ARGH' post='233467' date='Jul 6 2008, 10:00 AM']Less than zero? Like the people that sell the Tech 21 footswitch.[/quote]
Got One - [url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=samac250"]here[/url]. None in stock now - just got the last one.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='233360' date='Jul 5 2008, 10:23 PM']''FFS Sarah, it's an active bass you muppet... change the bloody battery...''

D'oh!
*Sigh*[/quote]
Sawe that coming! muppet! :)

I've done it a few times where i've plugged the lead into my bass and not the amp or vice versa and wondered why there was no sound :huh: i usually figure it out though.

Also i've had my active tobias about 11 months and my musicman about 6 months and i've never had to change the batteries in either!

Can't you just use a switchable voltage one from Maplins?

My favourite trick with the Samson Airline was to hit the pad switch on the transmitter, either instead of the on/off switch, or part way through a song out of shere enthusiasm. So either nothing or drastically reduced volume. Despite doing it many times, my first thought was always "Oh no, the amp's blown up!". In the end I couldn't take the stress and sold the damned thing.

Energiser Lithium AAAs were great for the bug, but I never found an economic source of Lithium PP9s.

[quote name='OldGit' post='238787' date='Jul 13 2008, 10:08 PM']Can't you just use a switchable voltage one from Maplins?[/quote]
The sneaky bastards dont say what current should be and the polarity of the connector. So you have to buy theirs or risk frying the thing cos you connected it the wrong way.