Why become a member? ×

PAT testing

malcolm.mcintyre

I am sorry but when you make statements like those below, it leads me down a certain avenue of thinking.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1392310779' post='2367182']

RCDs are the thing to help prevent electrical shock, not fuses. And even RCDs can't offer total protection.
[/quote]

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1392421764' post='2368729']

5. Both you and TimR think sh1t happens

[/quote]

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1392479702' post='2369239']
I am sorry but when you make statements like those below, it leads me down a certain avenue of thinking.
[/quote]

What, like these you mean?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1392395226' post='2368214']
Sh*t happens sometimes that can't be explained, get over it.
[/quote]

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1392418542' post='2368687']
Sometimes as big Stu says 'sh*t happens'.
[/quote]

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1392479702' post='2369239']
[/quote]

[i]"RCDs are the thing to help prevent electrical shock, not fuses. And even RCDs can't offer total protection.[/i]"

Please feel free to explain what is wrong with that statement, instead of making vague personal insinuations.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1392481110' post='2369261']

[/quote]

Yes. Exactly like that.

You acknowledge that there are circumstances where you can't cover everything. Then when Stu and I suggest that there are circumstances beyond our control, we are somehow wrong.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1392481110' post='2369261']
[/quote]

Are you still here? as Tim says, trying to make some kind of obscure point - though clarifying one more obvious one.

You don't read too well do you? or - for a [i]company director[/i] - are unable to connect the points throughout a thread.

The incident I witnessed "can't be explained" for several reasons:-
We don't know what other loads - or as you personally pointed out - how many other appliances or fires in the same house the guy had done the same stunt to - or were switched on it other rooms at the time.
Or whether he'd doctored his fusebox in some way to prevent it tripping,
We don't know what metal the bolt he used was made of.
We don't know how long it had been switched on before I arrived to witness it.

PS. You've already clarified that you're not clairvoyant, before bringing "ghosts" into your discussion. So in the absence of answers to even those 4 points above - just exactly how would you intend answering those variables in order to reach the explanation you so desperately seek?

Edited by Big_Stu

• 2 weeks later...

going to slightly hijack this thread from the philosophical debates of the whys and wherefores of PAT testing to the practicalities

ive scanned through this thread and the other thread on here from a couple of years back - our band have decided to get this done - i would like some advice please on exactly what types of equipment need to be tested and what doesnt - have searched online and cant find any guidelines regards specific types of equipment

my personal guess is that items such as heads and combos and power supply transformers, multibocs and kettle leads all need testing

what about low load stuff? would i be correct in guessing that instrument/patch cables dont need testing but maybe speaker cables do because of the load they carry?

your input as always is appreciated - hopefully stingraypete and others will be along soon to shed some light

ta muchly :)

Edited by steve-bbb

The only things that need testing are the things that plug into the mains supply.
So, amps, wall warts (thorough visual check), any detachable cables, extension leads. Your instrument and speaker cables do not need testing. However, you should certainly look after your speaker cables as a duff one just might cause the destruction of your amplifier.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1393666269' post='2383050']
The only things that need testing are the things that plug into the mains supply.
So, amps, wall warts (thorough visual check), any detachable cables, extension leads. Your instrument and speaker cables do not need testing. However, you should certainly look after your speaker cables as a duff one just might cause the destruction of your amplifier.
[/quote]

thanks - just that i think we might be using someone who is a general PAT tester rather than music equipment specific so didnt want them to be blagging that certain items need testing and adding loads of extra unnecessary items to up the invoice :)

PAT testers are only capable of testing things that can be plugged into it - so generally that's limited to an IEC socket ('kettle lead') and standard mains plug.

Speakon and 1/4" jack connectors aren't suitable for carrying mains voltage and therefore aren't catered for on a PAT tester.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1393666533' post='2383051']

thanks - just that i think we might be using someone who is a general PAT tester rather than music equipment specific so didnt want them to be blagging that certain items need testing and adding loads of extra unnecessary items to up the invoice :)
[/quote]

They'll just treat your amps as television, computer or AV kit. It would be like trying to test a SCART or USB lead.

A 'full' test on 'kettle' leads and 'part' test on earth continuity on amps.

well we have finally been certified... or is it certificated? im old and easily confused

all very painless and simple - we just turned up at rehearsal rooms - nice local elastictrickery people came with their pat machines and plugged it all in and stickered it all up (minus a couple of naughty gaffer taped items by our guitarer)

so now we have PAT and PLI for any jobsworth events bookers who care to ask to inspect it :D

roll on the big megabucks corporate gigs please :lol: but not holding my breath waiting though :blink: