Why become a member? ×

Inconsistencies when I P

HansonFerrari

So I just got a hold of my new Lakland Precision, Gigged it for the first time last night.
I've been playing my Warwick Streamer for a good few years so it's a big change for me, bit I love this new bass.

Anyway, My problem being we play mostly Reggae music, But also a little rock,
Most of our tracks I'll keep the tone nob dialed completely down because I Like a very Bassy fat tone.
For the rock I like to dial in some tops and add some punch to help it cut through the mix

When I dial in the tone I notice a difference in volume, Which I assume is quite standard for P Basses.
I didn't really have this trouble with he Warwick, probably because it has an active pre amp I had more scope to even things out

I've heard about replacing electronics? (Grease bucket rings a bell??) to level out the volume
Do I need a compression unit? I have free rack space at the moment or are pedals the way to go?

I'm wondering which is the best way to fix this? Any help is much appreciated

The volume drop happens because you have dumped a large portion of your signal (high mids and above) to earth. This is perfectly normal on a passive bass - you can either learn to work with it, or go the active route. Active EQs usually have a much steeper EQ curve*, which you may or may not find musically pleasing!

[size=3]*Passive EQ -6dB per octave. Active EQ -24db per octave (with a 4-pole filter).[/size]

Ah okay, Makes sence, I didn't have this problem with my Warwick because of the active preamp , I had a lot more range to dial in tones and balance things out
So there isnt a peice of gear that could help me sort this out then??
I'm not to clued up on compression but my guitarest mentioned it would help even out the volume
is that more related to exsisting tone and evening out the inconsistencies of my playing??

You could add a pre-amp to your P. Something like an East P-retro for example.
Another option would be to use an EQ pedal to achieve your reggae tone - which would allow you to keep a balanced volume.

A compressor would be more useful for smoothing out volume inconsistencies occuring due to your playing style etc.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1391617953' post='2359302']
Why not use the volume knob to balance it out? Have I missed something?
[/quote]

Hah! My experience is that rolling OFF a bit of volume also cuts the highs & mids. :lol:

Maybe that's the reggae solution ...