Why become a member? ×

Wojtek Pilichowski at NAMM

RichF

Anyone remember him at bass day a good few years ago? Incredible playing and a really nice guy into the bargain. Sometime after that we met some polish bassists at a Stanley Clarke gig at the Jazz cafe and they weren't that enamoured with mr P at all. Seems everyone has their own taste. i liked him :)

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1391183430' post='2354300']
Anyone remember him at bass day a good few years ago? Incredible playing and a really nice guy into the bargain. Sometime after that we met some polish bassists at a Stanley Clarke gig at the Jazz cafe and they weren't that enamoured with mr P at all. Seems everyone has their own taste. i liked him :)
[/quote]
My buddy once was on something like Polish NAMM and found Pilichowski. He was teaching some people about playing the bass. My buddy - then already 5 years into playing - never played in front of Pilichowski. But he asked him about some more advanced technique. What was the star's answer?
"Kiddo, kiddo... First learn to play correct and then, after all those years, you may start to think about this sort of things."
Not the nicest answer to a person whose playing you never had listened to, if you'd ask me.

Besides, there are many witnesses who say he considers his technique the only reasonable, good and efficient and tries to force it upon others.

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1391192918' post='2354495']
My buddy once was on something like Polish NAMM and found Pilichowski. He was teaching some people about playing the bass. My buddy - then already 5 years into playing - never played in front of Pilichowski. But he asked him about some more advanced technique. What was the star's answer?
"Kiddo, kiddo... First learn to play correct and then, after all those years, you may start to think about this sort of things."
Not the nicest answer to a person whose playing you never had listened to, if you'd ask me.

Besides, there are many witnesses who say he considers his technique the only reasonable, good and efficient and tries to force it upon others.
[/quote]

Not too sure whether I'd call him a 'star', it's the first I've heard of the guy and whilst he's got impressive technique he's not actually doing anything new at all, just rehashing the same slap thing that's been repeated over and over. The advice isn't terrible either, I don't know how it was delivered but if it was with a sincerity then I actually think it's great advice.

When I hear him play it sounds like Mark King who didn't stop practising after the first Level 42 album....That's not a bad thing.
That advice isn't too bad either.. some people try to run when they can hardly walk.
Years ago I gave a bassplayer some advice (he could hardly play) but he sighed and only wanted to learn the "fancy" stuff.
You should go through a couple of stages before you open the rest of the doors..
Met Wojtek at a bass fair in Germany and he was a very funny and openminded person.. he gave his clinic which sounded fresh when I compared it to other bass heroes I saw over there.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1391194541' post='2354520']
Not too sure whether I'd call him a 'star', it's the first I've heard of the guy and whilst he's got impressive technique he's not actually doing anything new at all, just rehashing the same slap thing that's been repeated over and over. The advice isn't terrible either, I don't know how it was delivered but if it was with a sincerity then I actually think it's great advice.
[/quote]
It was delivered in a patronizing way, or at least my buddy described it as such. And to a guy he just met for the first time and never heard his playing...
I called him a "star" deliberately.