Why become a member? ×

Ordered A Gibson SG Std. Walnut

gsgbass

Well,……………………… "Electric Lady" showed up via, FedEx Friday the 31st. Atlanta, Georgia was about all iced in, and shut down, so they ran straight through to Miami, Florida. That was only about forty miles south of my location. I recieved her a day late, but it's here, and it looks nicer than the Sweetwater photos of it do. Now, just waiting on the short scale D'Addario ETB92S Nylon Tapewound Strings to arrive by mail. This lets the bass get acclimated to my environment before changing the strings also.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CtN3IPp.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1391347189' post='2356006']
Was thinking of getting the lefty model, you've just made my mind up.. That is stunning, will sweetwater ship to the uk?
[/quote]

I think they do. Sweetwater has been pretty darn good with my orders. They got this Gibson out in a timely fashion, and packed the shipping carton very good. The Gibson carton was packed in an outer packed shipping carton.

Pretty sure no USA dealer will export Gibsons to the UK, as there is a local distributor. Once Gibson let the UK dealers (and indeed their own European support people) know that this model is available left handed, GAK, Andertons etc etc will start listing it on their websites.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1391375316' post='2356511']

[/quote]

That does look lovely.

Dare I ask, an honest not biased answer please :)

How does it balance?

My EB2014 is neck heavy (but sortable with the right strap) but I keep reading that the EB's balance perfectly :rolleyes:

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1391426864' post='2356909']
That does look lovely.

Dare I ask, an honest not biased answer please :)

How does it balance?

My EB2014 is neck heavy (but sortable with the right strap) but I keep reading that the EB's balance perfectly :rolleyes:

Peter
[/quote]

It balances good. It does have "The Neck Dive Of Death", being an SG Std. with a Mahogany Body. It doesn't dive when it's being played. My strap is a bit rough on the inside where it contacts my shoulder. That cuts down on the slipping across that area when not playing. The forward neck strap button is to far in on the back of the SG Std., as compared to the EB Bass's location of the forward strap button. This brings the strap straight down, not on an angle toward the head of the neck.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1391473548' post='2357665']

It balances good. It does have "The Neck Dive Of Death", being an SG Std. with a Mahogany Body.

[/quote]

Classic :)
Gorgeous bass though. Another Andy Fraser fan here so I would love to own one... For now I must be content to scour EBay for old Japcrap copies!

We have a Gibson SG Standard bass (2013, cherry) in the shop and it's bloody lovely and a constant source of GAS. If I wasn't so averse to short scale id have snapped it up as it's going for a silly price!

However, after seeing this, the walnut version is STUNNING! I might have to put my hand in my pocket and order one!!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1391941514' post='2362744']
We have a Gibson SG Standard bass (2013, cherry) in the shop and it's bloody lovely and a constant source of GAS. If I wasn't so averse to short scale id have snapped it up as it's going for a silly price!

However, after seeing this, the walnut version is STUNNING! I might have to put my hand in my pocket and order one!!
[/quote]your shop wouldn't have a lefty one in stock or can you order one in skej ?

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1391955484' post='2362932']
your shop wouldn't have a lefty one in stock or can you order one in skej ?
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that would be a 'no' on both counts I'm afraid! I'll let you know though :-)

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1392145466' post='2365335']
wonderful looking Gibson,now I have gas,thanks :D
[/quote]

GAS is nice to spread around. I've been playing my Mabel here quite a bit. The pups on her are amazing. The best pups I can remember having on any EB/SG Std. bass in 44-45 years of playing them. Smooth playing, the Rosewood Fretboard on her is great! [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ioKd4hk.gif[/IMG]

Great find! Sweetwater is great. I ordered a Gibson Les Paul Studio in Fireburst from them 2 years ago. (It was the best price anywhere on a new guitar.) I regularly spend time looking through their basses. I'm especially happy that Sweetwater has become an EBMM dealer. Sweetwater does take actual picture of the instruments. (I just wish they'd take my phone number off their call-list.)

The Perfect Bass also takes actual instrument photos, but I have yet to make a purchase through them.

Edited by TolerancEJ

It is nice to see the exact Axe you're possibly going to order. Not as good as hands on of course. But in some cases, local shops may have one of the Axe you're interested in. And it may have some floor damage on it. I would wind up ordering one anyway, and then that was sight unseen totally. The Sweetwater Guitar Gallery works well. I should have this "Electric Lady" show up later today. The photos are from the Sweetwater Guitar Gallery.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ozya6BE.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VsdhJze.jpg[/IMG]