Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT's

bassjamm

Hello everyone,

As i'm sure some of you may be aware, i'm moving on from my Ampeg SVT II non pro. It's not because i dislike the tone, far from it, to be it's the perfect bass tone, i really mean it...i can't get enough of it! However, i got crashed into last year and i've got jipp in my back as a result...one things for sure, my SVT II is not helping! I lugged it around on Saturday, nothing out of the norm, and i was in agony untill Tuesday as a result :)

Anyway...i've been looking at different amps etc, but i've completely over looked Ampeg stuff. It has just occurred to me that i can probably get a lighter Ampeg SVT or something like one...and my thoughts appear to be true. The SVT3 and 4, as well as the SVT450H are all of interest. I can manage about 50lbs max i reckon...my SVT with it's solid rack case thing is nearer 100!!!

So...any thoughts on the newer Ampeg stuff like those mentioned above chaps?

I'm after warmth, that's about it really. I play funk, jazz, r'n'b kind of stuff...so nice thick warm bass!!!

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Jamie

Dude, check out the SVT 8 Pro. It's the CL pre connected to a DClass power amp. It weighs nuthin!!

Failing that, save ya self some cash and plug your SVP into my Powersoft 2004 for a much more powerful and versatile rig. Probably be as light as the SVT 8 as well mate.

I spotted the SVT 8...but yeah, i gathered it'd be pricey!!! I don't mind a bit of weight, just not as much as my beast!!!

I'm still considering your amp mate, but i could potentially end up with a new amp and a nice pile of spare cash if i play my cards right here. You're amp is just too pricey at the moment. I have a buyer for my SVP if i decide to move it on, and if the SVT II goes, then i'll have a decent amount to play with. I also want 1 box that's all colour coded :) I'm a but weird like that!

I'm gigging the SVP for the first time tomorrow night though!!!

3PRO is a nice amp- tho not hugely loud- is generally plenty loud enough for most things & DI on it is good!
The SVT450H is simplya B2RE amp in SVT clothes-costs more tii, so I'd be getting the B2RE if I went that route-Tho I wasn't impressed with my B2R(the 350w version- & also same as SVT350H) 3PRO is a good bet at an OK price point.

THo IMHO MY Mark Bass LMII beats all of 'em for warmth & versatility AND definately for weight- what is it? 6.5lbs I carry it in an old laptop bag-w/ room for leads etc as well! GREAT amp w/ far more power than any of the Ampegs I mention. I've NO experience w/ a 4 PRO tho

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='bassjamm' post='232386' date='Jul 4 2008, 12:36 AM']I'm still considering your amp mate, but i could potentially end up with a new amp and a nice pile of spare cash if i play my cards right here. You're amp is just too pricey at the moment. I have a buyer for my SVP if i decide to move it on, and if the SVT II goes, then i'll have a decent amount to play with. I also want 1 box that's all colour coded :) I'm a but weird like that![/quote]

The downside of going 'all colour coded' is you end up with less amp for your money. I've kind of lost touch with what Ampeg heads cost but they've never struck me as great value, especially compared to using one of their preamps and a quality power amp. The Powersoft amps are as good as they get and by buying used you guarantee little or no depreciation cost when you next change your rig. I can understand the logic of wanting new cabs because speakers do suffer from wear and tear and abuse but quality power amps with comprehensive protection circuitry like my QSC and the Powersofts are very hard to break. There are exceptions of course but fortunately pro touring gear like this is designed to be repairable.

Don't compare bass heads with rackmount power amps of allegedly equal power output - the latter's specs are to much more stringent standards and therefore they offer significantly more real world power into the challenging reactive load of a bass cab.

Alex

[quote name='rodl2005' post='232391' date='Jul 4 2008, 12:56 AM']THo IMHO MY Mark Bass LMII beats all of 'em for warmth & versatility AND definately for weight- what is it? 6.5lbs I carry it in an old laptop bag-w/ room for leads etc as well! GREAT amp w/ far more power than any of the Ampegs I mention. I've NO experience w/ a 4 PRO tho[/quote]
About an hour and a half's drive from you Jamie, is Mark's demo barn (Bass Direct). IMHO you should go and do some A/B testing of Mark Bass & Genz Benz class D amps. You'll end up either ruling them out, or finding a lightweight solution. Plus you can try out some of his Jazz Bass Fender alternatives!

Hi guys,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm not doing pro tours though so i feel the Powersof would be way too much. I'm doing funk clubs and bars. The biggest of which is the Jazz Cafe or HiFi in Leeds, neither need more than i've got already! I understand the whole class D thing, but i'm not sure it really bothers me all that much. I just want a warm sounding amp, preferably tube of some kind, and solid. It doesn't have to be feather weight!!! I can't stress that enough, it just needs to be lighter than my SVT II!

To give you an idea, i'm running my SVP through my old Hartke HA2000, that's a 200 watt solid-state power section, and it's more than loud enough for most of my needs. The SVT II is always too loud, but it's an awesome amp!

I've tried out the Mark Bass stuff before, it didn't really do it for me, i find them totally un-exciting! Genz-Benz, i've never tried them but again, from what i've seen of them, they don't do it for me.

At the moment, i'm thinking more about Aguilar and Ampeg, as opposed to anything else...but i plan to go down to the Gallery to see what's what, quite interested to hear some Epifani stuff.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Jamie

It's also worth mentioning that i'm very much into the old school sounds, the traditional stuff...not so much the newer, clean Hi-Fi sounding stuff...i'm not bothered too much by that as to my ears in lacks something, that being that old school vibe.

Just my opinion.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='232611' date='Jul 4 2008, 12:27 PM']I'm not doing pro tours though so i feel the Powersof would be way too much. I'm doing funk clubs and bars. The biggest of which is the Jazz Cafe or HiFi in Leeds, neither need more than i've got already! I understand the whole class D thing, but i'm not sure it really bothers me all that much. I just want a warm sounding amp, preferably tube of some kind, and solid. It doesn't have to be feather weight!!! I can't stress that enough, it just needs to be lighter than my SVT II!

To give you an idea, i'm running my SVP through my old Hartke HA2000, that's a 200 watt solid-state power section, and it's more than loud enough for most of my needs. The SVT II is always too loud, but it's an awesome amp![/quote]

Puzzled. If the SVP works well with the HA2000 then why not stick with that? Or replace the HA2000 with a dedicated power amp.

I don't understand how the SVT II can always be too loud. Surely the volume knob turns anti-clockwise too?

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='232634' date='Jul 4 2008, 12:54 PM']Puzzled. If the SVP works well with the HA2000 then why not stick with that? Or replace the HA2000 with a dedicated power amp.[/quote]

Because i'm not really wanting to fill my rack with loads of different things, although it's an option at the moment. I'd just rather have an amp, not a pre/power rig. It's personal preference!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='232634' date='Jul 4 2008, 12:54 PM']I don't understand how the SVT II can always be too loud. Surely the volume knob turns anti-clockwise too?[/quote]

It does, but it's still loud!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='232642' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:01 PM']Because i'm not really wanting to fill my rack with loads of different things, although it's an option at the moment. I'd just rather have an amp, not a pre/power rig. It's personal preference![/quote]

If you're already using a rack the only difference is an extra on/off switch! I understand you have a personal preference but as I can't see any sense behind it I am questioning it.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='232642' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:01 PM']It does, but it's still loud![/quote]

Then turn it down more or stop plucking so hard. I do not believe any amp exists that is so loud you can't practice at home with it without disturbing the neighbours let alone always being too loud in band situations.

Going back to your use of the HA2000 - does that amp supply all the bottom you need without your cabs ever farting out?

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='232649' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:07 PM']If you're already using a rack the only difference is an extra on/off switch! I understand you have a personal preference but as I can't see any sense behind it I am questioning it.[/quote]

It's just a personal thing mate, i can't help it if that's what i like. If what i end up with is a pre-amp/power-amp solution, unless it's an SVT-IIP pre-amp, then i won't be happy. Just me being an ass, but i'm the one that will be using it.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='232649' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:07 PM']Then turn it down more or stop plucking so hard. I do not believe any amp exists that is so loud you can't practice at home with it without disturbing the neighbours let alone always being too loud in band situations.

Going back to your use of the HA2000 - does that amp supply all the bottom you need without your cabs ever farting out?

Alex[/quote]

The SVT's volume is really irrelavent to the case in point, it's a loud amp, i like it...yes it can do bedroom practice, but i'm still moving it on. Volume isn't a factor here...i was just illustrating the point that i don't need a 1200watt power amp.

The HA2000 has never given me any kind of jipp with regards to cabs. I've not really used it for a while though. My whole rig at the moment, well, the SVP with the HA2000 is all very punchy, but it lacks the awesome depth of the SVT to my ears. I could get a really deep sub bass kind of sound from the SVT. I'll see how i go tonight with the SVP and HA2000, but i think it'll still be a shade off what i'm after.

I have to admit though, i love the drive control on the SVP, i don't do distortion, but i do like it's tonal characteristics. I was listening to a song by Galactic the other day, the bassist uses Ampeg, but he had this almost over-driven sound, i realised it was the Drive control. So i whacked it up, and would you Adam and Eve it, i got that sound.

I'm not denying the SVP's use at all though...i'd just like 1 unit to haul around. Is there an Ampeg amp with the SVP pre-amp in? I bet it's the SVT II Pro isn't it, lol...thated just be silly!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='232678' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:30 PM']It's just a personal thing mate, i can't help it if that's what i like. If what i end up with is a pre-amp/power-amp solution, unless it's an SVT-IIP pre-amp, then i won't be happy. Just me being an ass, but i'm the one that will be using it.[/quote]

Just to put my mind at rest, could you tell me why you have this prejudice? What is the reason behind your need for a head rather than a pre/power rig?

[quote name='bassjamm' post='232678' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:30 PM']The SVT's volume is really irrelavent to the case in point, it's a loud amp, i like it...yes it can do bedroom practice, but i'm still moving it on. Volume isn't a factor here...i was just illustrating the point that i don't need a 1200watt power amp.[/quote]

So what you actually meant was that you believe the SVT has more power than you actually need, not that it is too loud for you.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='232678' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:30 PM']The HA2000 has never given me any kind of jipp with regards to cabs. I've not really used it for a while though. My whole rig at the moment, well, the SVP with the HA2000 is all very punchy, but it lacks the awesome depth of the SVT to my ears. I could get a really deep sub bass kind of sound from the SVT. I'll see how i go tonight with the SVP and HA2000, but i think it'll still be a shade off what i'm after.[/quote]

Deep sub bass sounds require lots of power. So all the supposedly surplus power which the SVT has is probably the reason it can produce a much deeper sound than your HA2000. Unless your band is very quiet or you're using tons of compression then your HA2000 is unlikely to be running without regularly hitting its limiters on low notes.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='232678' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:30 PM']I'm not denying the SVP's use at all though...i'd just like 1 unit to haul around.[/quote]

A rack is one unit to haul around however many components it contains, though obviously once you get past deep 4U racks they become rather a handful.

Alex

[quote name='bassjamm' post='232678' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:30 PM']I have to admit though, i love the drive control on the SVP, i don't do distortion, but i do like it's tonal characteristics.[/quote]

+1 to that. My SVT4 didn't have it and I never knew I needed it, but since i started using the SVP its the only knob i touch (pffnaaaar! :) ). It adds a lovely bit of presence too, and coupled with the bright and extra deep pads it's absolutely atomic!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='232686' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:44 PM']Just to put my mind at rest, could you tell me why you have this prejudice? What is the reason behind your need for a head rather than a pre/power rig?[/quote]

I just prefer to keep things simple, i've been brought up on heads, and it's what i prefer to be stood in front of. The pre/power solution all seems too much for me, and it's not my personal preference.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='232686' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:44 PM']So what you actually meant was that you believe the SVT has more power than you actually need, not that it is too loud for you.[/quote]

No, it's not too powerful, it's just capable of a lot of power. I often get asked to turn down though, which i never used to get...simply because the SVT is extremely powerful, it creats a lovely wall of bass!!! As you say, not too loud for me. To be honest with you, this isn't an issue in the slighest and is no factor in my decision to move it on. As i've said repeatedly, it's the perfect sound/amp...just in a package that's too heavy.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='232686' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:44 PM']Deep sub bass sounds require lots of power. So all the supposedly surplus power which the SVT has is probably the reason it can produce a much deeper sound than your HA2000. Unless your band is very quiet or you're using tons of compression then your HA2000 is unlikely to be running without regularly hitting its limiters on low notes.[/quote]

I'm not sure about this, maybe you're right...the SVT produces some awesome lows, but it does have enough tubes in there to start a small war...about £300 worth so i'm told :brow:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='232686' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:44 PM']A rack is one unit to haul around however many components it contains, though obviously once you get past deep 4U racks they become rather a handful.

Alex[/quote]

Yes i knew you'd say that. But that is not what i'm after if i can avoid it. I'm as much after aesthetics as i am decent sound and practicality. To me a rack full of gear looks rough, and i know for my requirements it's a bit overkill...i just want a plug in a play HEAD!

I feel the same about having an all in one head rather than a seperate pre/power amp, I went down that road last year.

Jamie, you definitely need to try the Aguilar AG500SC, I'm pretty sure you'll like it, the Epi gear is probably a bit too modern for you, but you never know until you try it.

I'm sure Alex at the Gallery will do you a good deal on whatever you decide to get.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='232872' date='Jul 4 2008, 07:02 PM']I feel the same about having an all in one head rather than a seperate pre/power amp, I went down that road last year.

Jamie, you definitely need to try the Aguilar AG500SC, I'm pretty sure you'll like it, the Epi gear is probably a bit too modern for you, but you never know until you try it.

I'm sure Alex at the Gallery will do you a good deal on whatever you decide to get.[/quote]

Hi Kevin...

Yeah, i'm not ruling out the Aguilar at all...i can get a used one for about £550 which is very appealing!

I e-mailed Alex today about it, just waiting to hear back. I'm taking my bass down for a bit of work and mayeb a ramp, ideally a week on monday, but i could do with hearing an Aguilar 500 within the next fews days in order to avoid missing out on the one i've spotted. I don't want to buy anything without making sure it's right for me.

As for the Epifani, i reckon it'll be a bit too modern, but even if i did like the sound...i'm not in a position to spend the amount i'd need to in order to own a 502 or 902. I'm hoping to make some money on this rather than fork out more than i'll get back for the SVT.

Definately want to keep it simple with going down the head route though...even though i'm liking the SVP more and more. Maybe i'll get whichever SVT it is that uses the SVP as it's pre-amp :)

I'm totally biased!

I love the tone my svt 3pro puts out.

An all tube svt II is worth considerably more than a svt 3 pro. (s/h)

I have just sold my old svt 3, was hard but needed some cash! superb sounding and preferred it to my brand new 3 pro after re-tubing it.

good luck

andy

[quote name='bassjamm' post='232876' date='Jul 4 2008, 07:13 PM']Maybe i'll get whichever SVT it is that uses the SVP as it's pre-amp :)[/quote]
It's the SVT2-pro, according to the manual for mine!

[quote name='Shaggy' post='233674' date='Jul 6 2008, 05:55 PM']It's the SVT2-pro, according to the manual for mine![/quote]

Ahhh...typical! The more modern version of my weighty beast.

Do you think someone's trying to tell me something? Lol...that the Ampeg is the tonefull delight my ears crave? lol!!!

Incidently...i tried out some Aguilar, Mark Bass and Epifani gear yesterday...all very tasty bits and pieces indeed!! The AG500 and F1 really got me going...hmmm!!!!