Why become a member? ×

The Hitmaker

antnee

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_nile_rodgers_hitmaker_strato.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...aker_strato.htm[/url]

Have you seen how much Fender are asking though? The pricing is consistent with their other signature custom shop models but for me the attraction would be the sound rather than the bragging rights or living some kind of disco fantasy. Hopefully they'll do a MIJ version. The Marcus Miller basses were very popular because they made the right noises and were priced at a level that was accessible for real musicians rather than middle aged mancave heroes.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1390728395' post='2348576']
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_nile_rodgers_hitmaker_strato.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...aker_strato.htm[/url]

Have you seen how much Fender are asking though? The pricing is consistent with their other signature custom shop models but for me the attraction would be the sound rather than the bragging rights or living some kind of disco fantasy. Hopefully they'll do a MIJ version. The Marcus Miller basses were very popular because they made the right noises and were priced at a level that was accessible for real musicians rather than middle aged mancave hero's.
[/quote]

It seems to be all about marketing nowadays, and to be fair it's not just Fender who are at it. I know PRS are coming from an entirely different angle but they always had the whiff of the Objet d'art about them, to me (I'm not saying I don't like looking at them, but I've been uninspired by the ones I've played so far.)
I'm undecided as to whether it's a means of screwing us for more money by tapping into our fetishes, or because they have a need to do it in order to keep their place in the market. Either way I'm not turned on by this hitmaker (not least because I can make a perfectly adequate job of bashing my own guitars into things, much as I try to avoid it;) one mans meat though! It's the sound+the way it feels in my hands = a happy Thumbducker, but as the owner of a usa strat and a gibson, I feel like I'm as much a victim of marketing as the next man to some extent.

Unless I'm ever in the financial position to buy a top-notch, English made electric guitar, I can't see me ever buying another new electric guitar. I'm hoping the next electric I get will be made by me, but I think that's little more than a pipe dream at this moment in time.

[quote name='Thumbducker' timestamp='1390863932' post='2350782']
It seems to be all about marketing nowadays, and to be fair it's not just Fender who are at it. I know PRS are coming from an entirely different angle but they always had the whiff of the Objet d'art about them, to me (I'm not saying I don't like looking at them, but I've been uninspired by the ones I've played so far.) [/quote]
It's always been about marketing - Fender became so dominant in the 60's out of marketing and sheer manufacturing capability.

I'm undecided as to whether it's a means of screwing us for more money by tapping into our fetishes, or because they have a need to do it in order to keep their place in the market. Either way I'm not turned on by this hitmaker (not least because I can make a perfectly adequate job of bashing my own guitars into things, much as I try to avoid it;) one mans meat though! It's the sound+the way it feels in my hands = a happy Thumbducker, but as the owner of a usa strat and a gibson, I feel like I'm as much a victim of marketing as the next man to some extent.
[/quote]
Endorsements sell instruments. Much marketing in the music instrument industry is about living the dream - the dream of sounding like your hero, the dream of success/glamour/fame, or there are people out there who don't know much about different brands so go with what they recognise...on the assumption that if everyone else is playing a brand then it must be good.

Unless I'm ever in the financial position to buy a top-notch, English made electric guitar, I can't see me ever buying another new electric guitar. I'm hoping the next electric I get will be made by me, but I think that's little more than a pipe dream at this moment in time.
[/quote]
Unlike when I started playing back in the mid 80's, there are many very good quality guitars available at extremely affordable prices. Yamaha do some fantastic stuff for example. Cort are pretty good too, and some of the Chinese brands like SX have also had good feedback.

Pretty much all the poorest features of a Strat rolled into one instrument. Horrible 70s headstock, hard-tail bridge, nasty relic'd body. All it needs to finish it off is massive 70s weight and a poorly fitting neck pocket coupled with the 3 bolt neck joint to be worse.

I think the price at least partly reflects the fact that Nile really wanted an [i]exact [/i]replica of the real thing. The original has huge sentimental value to him and in financial terms it must be worth a lot too. Reading his posts online about it it seems clear that he wants to retire the original but have a replacement that looks, feels, and sounds 100% like it.

From Fender's point of view, I doubt they are too bothered about shifting too many of them. Its a marketing move---Nile Rodgers is very "in" right now and so linking themselves with him gets themselves a lot of publicity for not all that much outlay.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1390897082' post='2350901']
Pretty much all the poorest features of a Strat rolled into one instrument. Horrible 70s headstock, hard-tail bridge, nasty relic'd body[/quote]

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1390903579' post='2350986']
I think the price at least partly reflects the fact that Nile really wanted an [i]exact [/i]replica of the real thing.[/quote]

His strat is a '60 body with a '59 neck apparently. He nearly lost it on a train late last year.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1390728395' post='2348576']

Have you seen how much Fender are asking though? The pricing is consistent with their other signature custom shop models but for me the attraction would be the sound rather than the bragging rights or living some kind of disco fantasy. Hopefully they'll do a MIJ version. The Marcus Miller basses were very popular because they made the right noises and were priced at a level that was accessible for real musicians rather than middle aged mancave hero's.
[/quote]

Laughable price. Typical Fender though.

Interestingly, Nile Rodgers appears in the 'Get Lucky' video with a bit of tape over the Fender logo of his guitar. I assume he felt a bit miffed that Fender never wanted to produce a signature version of his Strat and wasn't going to advertise them if they didn't feel he was good enough for them.
Then all of a sudden he's Twittering like crazy about how his new signature model is being worked on (you could tell it obviously meant a lot to him). I assume that Fender came to their senses and realised that after Daft Punk's latest album went multi platinum, he'd be a great ambassador for the brand.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1391078990' post='2352905']
I like it.
[/quote]
I'm almost there myself.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1391079664' post='2352924']
Interestingly, Nile Rodgers appears in the 'Get Lucky' video with a bit of tape over the Fender logo of his guitar.[/quote]
The transparent one? Is it possible that it might not have been a Fender?

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1391081983' post='2352972']
The transparent one? Is it possible that it might not have been a Fender?
[/quote]

Aha.....a bit of research shows you're right. It's one he had made and it's got a 'Guitarman' logo. http://www.nilerodgers.com/blogs/planet-c-in-english/1051-my-plexiglass-guitarman

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1390897082' post='2350901']
Pretty much all the poorest features of a Strat rolled into one instrument. Horrible 70s headstock, hard-tail bridge, nasty relic'd body. All it needs to finish it off is massive 70s weight and a poorly fitting neck pocket coupled with the 3 bolt neck joint to be worse.
[/quote]

It's taken 6 year but I finally agree with BRX on something.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1391086540' post='2353053']
Does anybody else visualise Stephen Hawking singing when they listen to Daft Punk?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5l2ChAqRDg[/media]
[/quote]

Not as much as this does:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BD2qnBozvE[/media]