Why become a member? ×

The Bass Doc made me a monster...

Paul S

Howard indulged a slightly mad scheme I had bubbling away at the back of my head. I've had a Westone Thunder Jet bass for some while now - lightweight, well built (mid 80s Matsumoku), great neck (22 frets). But the stock version was passive and, for me, sounded a little weedy. I fitted a P-Retro, which made a heck of a lot of difference.

Then I saw/tried the Fender Dimension bass and it gave me the idea to try a Musicman pickup in the Westone. So I bought a Delano MM pickup when one was offered on here and Howard did the rest. He routed out a place in the 'sweet spot', made a new custom scratchplate to hide the work, wired it all up (switchable series/parallel), routed out the back to increase access and new custom cover for that.

I got it back yesterday. Some pics:
[attachment=153151:tjetray1.jpg][attachment=153152:tjetray2.jpg][attachment=153153:tjetray3.jpg]

So far I have only tried it at home but, wow! Huge range of tones. The sound is not like a Stingray, not like the Westone but somewhere between with a very definite character (actually very similar to a Westone Pantera Deluxe X790 bass I have). It can be very aggressive but easily tamed with the passive tone control rolled back. Nice growl in there. I can't wait to try it in a band situation to see how it sits in the mix. Physically it is comfortable. Slight neck dive, but the heavier pup means it is actually better than before despite the extra routing. Looks pretty good, too, I reckon, my Westone Thunder JetRay ©®™

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1390647946' post='2347854']
The sound is not like a Stingray, not like the Westone but somewhere between with a very definite character (actually very similar to a Westone Pantera Deluxe X790 bass I have).
[/quote]

oooh, I like that! :)

About not sounding like a Stingray... it looks to me from those pictures that the pickup is probably about 1-2cm farther from the bridge than on a Stingray, so it would sound quite a bit different (assuming my judgement of the spacing is right).

I had a Tanglewood Warrior once, with a single MM pickup located roughly at the spot where I think yours is (actually, mine was probably a tiny bit farther still), and it was *awesome*. It was not a Stingray in any way, and it did not sound anything like a P bass, as it was somewhere in between. It sounded BIG, and with great definition, and it was lovely. Another bass I regret letting go. It was totally battered but it looked great and played really well.

I found a picture of it:

Nice job. The Pickup looks right in Stingray territory to me. As I understand it, Musicman did vary the position a bit between models, but the centre of the pickup averaged roughly about 13.5" from the 12th fret.
Now for a preamp ! I love the all-black look BTW.

All Westone basses should have these pickups fitted !! (Excellent, this gives me another excuse to post this pic of my number 1 !!)

[url=http://www.ephotobay.com/share/green-w-full-body.html][/url]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1390673659' post='2348236']
In 2032, when all-original Thunder Jets have become iconic, sought-after vintage basses changing hands for £5000, there will be entire websites devoted to pointing out what you have done to your bass ...

;)
[/quote]

:) I know - not sure I want to post about this on the Westie forum just in case anyone has my address. Then again, by 2032 when I am rich and famous (and extremely old) someone may well be trying to make a 'Paul S signature model' just like it...

Jose - I bet that sounds just like mine. Your description matches - HUGE.

Alan - I remember reading the thread on your refin - that is a great colour. My pre-amp of choice is already in - a John East P Retro. The 'stealth' look is one reason I like the 'Thunder Jet' models - all black hardware (the other reason is they are lightweight, unlike the Thunder 1/1A). The paint finish was satin black but, when I first bought it (£77 on eBay a couple of years back!) I had to give it a good T-Cut to get rid of the muck and surface marks and it ended up a bit glossier than it should have been.

Anyway, thanks again, Howard - I think I am a little bit in love with this one.

Howard routed this one for me and made the plate, its seen quite a bit action last year and is quite a monster itself!

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jeffhop/media/DSCF0573_zps69ae576e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/DSCF0573_zps69ae576e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]