Why become a member? ×

Acoustic bass for learner

Plampers

Hi all,

I started to learn a few months back but due to buying a house and life being hectic I have only just started to learn and practice again after 3 months. I currently play on a borrowed bass from my bro in law, but have got some money spare just over 200 quid so thought I'd treat myself to my very own bass. Now I love the idea of acoustic bass guitar and have been looking at my options and what not.

I have found this Ibanez sgbe110-vs which sounds good from youtube videos i can find. I don't think anywhere near me stocks these I Am aware of..(not that I have extensive knowledge of music shops near me haha) to have a hold and try what little I know.

Anyway, my question is will I find it tough to learn, I am on the basics still, with the acoustic bass?

Also has anyone had any experience of others in this sorta price range? Or this particular bass?

Thanks in advance,

Plampers

Recently I've seen a number of cheaper acoustic basses which have quite high action. That can make it harder for a beginner to play, and possibly be a less inviting instrument. Particularly since it's harder to adjust the action on an acoustic bass as you don't have an easily adjustable bridge. If you see the bass you're buying in person, you can check that it is set up well. As a good setup costs £50-60, it's worth finding an instrument that is already set up well.

I would definitely listen to any acoustic bass in person before buying if the quality of the acoustic sound is important to you. Even if a bass is recorded acoustically for a youtube video, the type and positioning of the mic can easily colour the sound (either flattering or unflattering) so that what you hear on the video is not what you hear in real life.

Just a couple of things to watch out for.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Plampers' timestamp='1390510888' post='2346321']
Hi all,

I started to learn a few months back but due to buying a house and life being hectic I have only just started to learn and practice again after 3 months. I currently play on a borrowed bass from my bro in law, but have got some money spare just over 200 quid so thought I'd treat myself to my very own bass. Now I love the idea of acoustic bass guitar and have been looking at my options and what not.

I have found this Ibanez sgbe110-vs which sounds good from youtube videos i can find. I don't think anywhere near me stocks these I Am aware of..(not that I have extensive knowledge of music shops near me haha) to have a hold and try what little I know.

Anyway, my question is will I find it tough to learn, I am on the basics still, with the acoustic bass?

Also has anyone had any experience of others in this sorta price range? Or this particular bass?

Thanks in advance,

Plampers
[/quote]

I would advise any beginner not to go with an acoustic bass. Ergonomics are more challenging and from my limited experience (I've had a couple - and sold them) they are harder to play in the sense that they require more effort - hence rather off-putting for the beginner. They're harder to set up (bridge saddle filing if you want to lower the action for instance) and aren't that loud acoustically anyway (the Ibanez AEB10E I had was drowned out by a single acoustic guitar). I'd recommend getting an electric bass - an entry level bass and a 20-30W practice amp can be picked up for much less than a GOOD acoustic bass guitar.

But it's entirely up to you. Your money, your choice :)

I'd be a fool to ask for your advice and then not listen to it. I just liked the idea of one, but your probably right. I'll look at some electric bass and see whats good.

I don't want to be put off playing, its tough learning as it is :D

Thanks for taking the time to reply

There's nothing wrong with learning on a [i]good [/i]acoustic bass. Emphasis on the good. I wouldn't want to buy one sight unseen. The other thing to consider is that the general consensus around these parts is that acoustic basses are almost entirely useless in any other context other than home practice. They feedback too easily when plugged in at gig volumes. Of course, not everyone thinks that and if your heart is set on an acoustic bass then get one. When learning its important that you're inspired to play and if you have your heart set on acoustic bass guitar then thats what you should get. You should play what you want to play, not what others tell you to.

Well my budget is fairly limited so a good acoustic bass maybe out of my league.

I understand where your coming from about wanting to play and have the passion and a instrument I dislike may put me off.

I think all the advice given to me is great. You guys and gals have been playing much longer than me and have more insight into the bassist world so I take what you all say seriously.

It's made me think rather than rush in.

I have one which sits in our lounge so that I can easily pick it up and practice scales and arpeggios during the dull bits of TV programs. It's a narrow bodied Ashbury, which sounds quite nice with a set of flats on it. I did have a jumbo body sized one once - it didn't stay long. Got swapped for a Squier VM fretless jazz.