Why become a member? ×

Hello bassists

Michael J

Picked up what appears to be a DiMavery SB-320/321 with no strings or nut at a junk sale last weekend, found a little Squier BP15 practise amp on ebay soon after, ordered some cheap strings online (arrived within 48 hours), visited my local musicke shoppe on Wednesday to get strap pins (body end one was broken), filed away at a salvaged nut from an acoustic guitar, fitted strings, strap, plugged in, tuned up, and I'm now officially a beginner bassist for about £40 all in. :)

The pots have been cleaned by a blast through with lighter gas, and the electrics compartment is now lined with aircraft wing repair thick metal tape, both of those have improved things considerably electrically. Currently straightening the neck by truss rod adjustment and waiting, also resetting saddle heights to reduce fret buzzes, and continuing to hack away at the nut. I might yet have to remove the shim I fitted under the neck yesterday... or modify it depending on how the straightening goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh, it's February already!

Neck shim was removed a while ago - first important setting is nut, imo. If that's wrong it will make things harder. I'm getting used to the higher action, it's actually better to be able to play that way if you can manage it. I'll reshim when I'm happy at the head end. Truss rod hasn't been adjusted for a while, I've just about got the A string buzzing on all frets between finger and nut when fretted along much of the neck. Not a problem amplified, it doesn't get through. When the others match it then I can shim the nut up to provide whatever clearance I require, and eventually cut a clean copy which can actually get fixed in place. ;).

Last week I got a teach-yourself book from the local Oxfam, looks to have a decent structured programme starting right at the beginning and going on to moderately advanced stuff in just 80 pages. 12-bar in dozens of varieties...

At the weekend I picked up an old genuine stage monitor in a poor condition, very cheaply. That has now been serviced and rewired with decent electric string (it had rubbish in it), lined with as much foam stuffing as would fit inside, sealed up the front baffle seating with draught excluder to stop it puffing (it was blowing a gale past there), result is much improved. It gives me a 12" professional driver that does pretty good bass and can take all the power that the amp is able to deliver and more besides. It is quite a lot louder than the internal speaker. I'd rather blow up an external speaker than the one built-in to the amp, it's easier to replace.

:)