Why become a member? ×

DR Strings Confusion

Myke

Hey,

I'm looking to get a set of Dr Lo-Riders for my TRB. I was all ready to buy until I saw that there was Nickel Plated ones. The first set was Stainless Steel.

Both the descriptions sound good to me but I don't know which to go for?

Has anybody tried both? Or have any general opinions on them?

Links

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/912036/dr-handmade-lo-rider-5-string-bass-45-125-mh5-45/"]http://www.stringsdi...-45-125-mh5-45/[/url]

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/912747/dr-handmade-lo-riders-nickel-45-125-5-string-bass-guitar-strings-nmh5-45/"]http://www.stringsdi...trings-nmh5-45/[/url]

Cheers!

Edited by Myke

I read your links properly this time. They actually have different product codes so it might be that both are available. Fair enough!

I've never tried DR strings, but the best way to describe the difference in tone for nickel and stainless steel is that nickel tends to be slightly warmer with more of a low mid growl... And stainless steel have a brighter, slightly more scooped sounding tone. Sometimes the steels feel slightly rougher under the fingers but it differs from one manufacturer to another.

It is a typical difference between nickel and steel really.

My own view is that nickels sound better than steel for me on denser, heavier woods (Warwicks :)). They also have a gentler feel to the fingers, as opposed to steels that can feel like they are ripping your tips apart if you like sliding :)

It really is personal preference, though. There used to be a video that Ed Friedland put up comparing all DR strings, but I can't seem to find a working link now!

I use DRs all the time, in fact I'm waiting a 'shipment' of half a dozen sets from the States. I prefer Nickels to SS generally, but this will be the first time I'll have tried their coated strings, too. I use Nickel Lo-Riders and Sunbeams, I prefer the nickels slightly rounder sound - the SS are a bit harsh-sounding for me.

Awesome so I'm now thinking Nickel because that's what I have on my bass now (D'addario) so go with what I know essentially.

Thank you for all your advice. I am seriously indecisive and this choice has been going round my head for about a week now. It would have gone on and on otherwise.

:)

It was only confusing because I didn't understand the tonal differences between SS and Nickel strings and which would better suit my playing.

And also because I have difficulty deciding things so there was a slight bit of wanting someone to offer their opinion to push me into a certain direction.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1389963429' post='2339996']
I always go for brighter. You can always reduce brightness if you don't want it - but you can't increase brightness if it's not there!
[/quote]

I'm exactly the same! Steel strings, Class D amp, neo cabs with tweeters.... Then I bugger it all up with compression and overdrive :lol:

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Anyone that loves DR Sunbeams or Highbeams as I have for many years ought to try out the Dunlops. DR Strings old production manager now works for Dunlop string manufacturing and has a big influence; subsequently Dunlops sound and feel 'DR'ish'. I'm currently using the nickels on my vintage G&L's and I'm very impressed, almost SS sound but still warm and available at less than £13 per set delivered, they’re well worth a punt.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1390035315' post='2340655']
[font=Arial]Anyone that loves DR Sunbeams or Highbeams as I have for many years ought to try out the Dunlops. DR Strings old production manager now works for Dunlop string manufacturing and has a big influence; subsequently Dunlops sound and feel 'DR'ish'. I'm currently using the nickels on my vintage G&L's and I'm very impressed, almost SS sound but still warm and available at less than £13 per set delivered, they’re well worth a punt.[/font]
[/quote]

Just picked up a set of dunlops from amazon for £5.29, only one set from that seller, result :)