Why become a member? ×

Change speaker increase wattage?

bassituation

Nope its more about ohms and driver efficiency. Putting in a higher wattage speaker may in fact make it quieter as your amp could be (and probably is) too weedy to drive it fully. If your existing speaker is 8ohms then replacing it with a similarish 4ohm one should get you a bit more oomph. But at the end of the day a 30w amp is pretty much a 30w amp.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1389827792' post='2338511']
Nope its more about ohms and driver efficiency. Putting in a higher wattage speaker may in fact make it quieter as your amp could be (and probably is) too weedy to drive it fully.
[/quote]

Really? Surely that'd be entirely dependant on the efficiency, rather than the wattage rating per se?

If I may ask another question here, if the OP were to fit a 40w speaker, it would be slightly less loud, but am I right that the amp is less likely to blow the speaker?

If he wants more volume, as I understand it, he should buy a small cab to plug in, giving more 30w speakers, is this right?

(This is an academic question - I doubt a 30w combo will have an o/put for a cab. Nor will he find a cab small enough for a 30w amp to drive it)

Actually, the OP will do well to trade up and buy a 60 or 120w Roland Cube, or similar.

Nope its more about ohms and driver efficiency. Putting in a higher wattage speaker may in fact make it quieter as your amp could be (and probably is) too weedy to drive it fully. If your existing speaker is 8ohms then replacing it with a similarish 4ohm one should get you a bit more oomph. But at the end of the day a 30w amp is pretty much a 30w amp.
[/quote]

Hmm, I think you may risk frying something if you switch the speaker to 4ohms when it designed to run only with 8ohms?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1389871297' post='2338836']
If I may ask another question here, if the OP were to fit a 40w speaker, it would be slightly less loud, but am I right that the amp is less likely to blow the speaker?
[/quote]

Assuming similar tone & efficiency, why would a 40w driver be less loud than a 30W one ?

(I doubt that a 30W amp has a 30W speaker...)

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1389874107' post='2338881']
Assuming similar tone & efficiency, why would a 40w driver be less loud than a 30W one ?

(I doubt that a 30W amp has a 30W speaker...)
[/quote]

To answer your question:
... Putting in a higher wattage speaker may in fact make it quieter as your amp could be (and probably is) too weedy to drive it fully. If your existing speaker is 8ohms then replacing it with a similarish 4ohm one should get you a bit more oomph. But at the end of the day a 30w amp is pretty much a 30w amp.
[/quote]

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1389871924' post='2338845']
Hmm, I think you may risk frying something if you switch the speaker to 4ohms when it designed to run only with 8ohms?
[/quote]
True, if it is designed to run at 8ohms only but most guitar amps are happy to take either 8 and 4ohm loads. Any higher and then you may start to smell something nasty.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1389876101' post='2338918']
True, if it is designed to run at 8ohms only but most guitar amps are happy to take either 8 and 4ohm loads. Any [b]lower[/b] and then you may start to smell something nasty.
[/quote]

Fixed for you. ;)

A quick look online reveals that the internal speaker is disconnected when the extension socket is used, so it's likely it's already fitted with a 4 ohm speaker. So the only way to get this amp louder is to use a more sensitive internal or extension speaker, and in the case of the extension cab something with 2 or more speakers is likely to do the job (although Laney don't gives any specs for the speaker fitted so it's impossible to work out how it fares in this department).

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1389894214' post='2339265']
A quick look online reveals that the internal speaker is disconnected when the extension socket is used, so it's likely it's already fitted with a 4 ohm speaker.
[/quote]

FWIW laney.co.uk says, for the current RB2:

Speaker connections - 1 jack (8 Ohms)

But the picture in the manual doesn't show a speaker connection for an external speaker...

I found a manual online for an older version of the RB2, which does show an external speaker connection and also states that the internal speaker is disconnected when an external speaker is connected, and that the min. impedance is 4 Ohms.

Edited by barkin

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1389874107' post='2338881'](I doubt that a 30W amp has a 30W speaker...)[/quote]

It's quite possible; I had a Laney B something-or-other 30watt many years ago & I wasn't long in blowing the speaker. It was a Laney labelled homebrew speaker rated at 30watts at 8ohms. You don't get many extras at them prices.

I replaced it with a Celestion 100w 10" (Celestion were very good at advising me over the phone whether it was suitable) & it was running well for years after it. My cousins kid is using it now. No extra volume obviously, but certainly no drop either & it held the bottom end much better than the original one did.