Why become a member? ×

God I Love Punk

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='391267' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:34 PM']And I would opt for a fun musician over a bunch of dull musicians.[/quote]

oh definatly, thats why i cant stand it when people care more about "pushing the boundaries" or whatever than they do about making their music sound good. ok, i hate playing roots, i dislike playing simple basslines, but if its good for the song thats what i'll play, after all, most people don't listen to music and remark how good the bassline was, just how good the song was. and yes, im not going to name them but ive read at least one person on here who said (these arent their exact words, they said it along time ago and i cant find their exact quote) they dislike people who claim to play whats best for the song and it makes you a better bass player to try and push the boundaries or something like that (on topic - i'd also like to add that whilst searching for this quote i found the same bass player saying he likes punk - not so much the music but the ethics) which i thought was total nonsense in itself because youre all there to make the song, and if it takes a simple bassline to make the song then you should play a simple bassline and not push boundaries.

[quote name='dazco' post='291727' date='Sep 25 2008, 11:58 AM']I have loved punk for over 30 years and that bass solo, however brilliant it is, does not strike me as very "punky". Sorry.

The worlds Greatest punk bassist was Stuart Morrow from New Model Army. Any fool know that.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkTFo-AZysQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkTFo-AZysQ[/url][/quote]

I'm glad you said that as I thought I was the only one here who also thought that the bass playing in the clip was not very punk. I thought the whole point of punk was that you could not really play very well but just got up and had a go. In fact, I thought punk was more about fashion and attitude and less about the music.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='391025' date='Jan 25 2009, 03:47 PM']yeah, but punk these days is completely different, more of a style of music than an attitude.

its also a different thing entirely, punk back in the 70s and 80s was an attitude more than a style of music, you had the clash playing reggae, you had ian dury playing slightly jazzy sounding songs, then you had the sex pistols and the ramones playing fast, power chord based songs. they all had that rebellious attitude, but also played very different music. the stranglers had a keyboard player, can you imagine the sex pistols with a keyboard player?

punk these days is more about the music. i see punk as music with
-usually fast tempo
-mostly power chords
-playing quavers
-3 or 4 chords in each section (chorus, verse etc.)

theyre not all the characteristics, but for instance if ian dury and the blockheads, or even the clash, came out these days most of their songs wouldnt be classed as punk. however, things like ramones and sex pistols, probably would, because they have the characteristics of punk music.[/quote]

Yeah this is so very true. My old band was classed as catchy guitar based punk pop. What that was really saying was the songs were catching so thats the catchy and pop label. Played like a band on guitars as apposed to keyboards so thats the guitar link. Had a fast energetic noisy up for it sound and attitude so thats the punk label. Similar bands to us were Ash, Feeder, Early Manics. So I can see the connection to punk pop and not really sure what else you could class it as. Pop, well no as thats Girls Aloud. Guitar pop, well no as thats Travis, Semisonic, Blur, The Smiths. Rock, well no thats Bon Jovi, U2, Queen. Metal, no thats anything like Metalica, GnR.

Its all very confusing especially when you try and add Indie bands into the mix.

[quote name='Linus27' post='391930' date='Jan 26 2009, 05:16 PM']Yeah this is so very true. My old band was classed as catchy guitar based punk pop. What that was really saying was the songs were catching so thats the catchy and pop label. Played like a band on guitars as apposed to keyboards so thats the guitar link. Had a fast energetic noisy up for it sound and attitude so thats the punk label. Similar bands to us were Ash, Feeder, Early Manics. So I can see the connection to punk pop and not really sure what else you could class it as. Pop, well no as thats Girls Aloud. Guitar pop, well no as thats Travis, Semisonic, Blur, The Smiths. Rock, well no thats Bon Jovi, U2, Queen. Metal, no thats anything like Metalica, GnR.

Its all very confusing especially when you try and add Indie bands into the mix.[/quote]

Indie?

Ash, Feeder and the Manics are not Punk bands.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='392028' date='Jan 26 2009, 07:15 PM']Indie?

Ash, Feeder and the Manics are not Punk bands.[/quote]

i agree, im a little confused by what linus said.

i [i]think[/i] he meant that although his band was labelled punk, those bands were similar to what they played yet they arent punk bands. am i right linus?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='392028' date='Jan 26 2009, 07:15 PM']Indie?

Ash, Feeder and the Manics are not Punk bands.[/quote]

Manics not punk? I'm no expert but in the early days they looked a little punk like.....didn't they? Punk Rock? So what's the real "punk" cos I've no idea..... punk to me is Sex Pistols and that's it, that's the only punk band I think I'm aware of. What exactly qualifies for punk? ;)

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='392042' date='Jan 26 2009, 07:29 PM']i agree, im a little confused by what linus said.

i [i]think[/i] he meant that although his band was labelled punk, those bands were similar to what they played yet they arent punk bands. am i right linus?[/quote]

Yes, sort of right. We were never just labelled punk, it was guitar punk pop or even punk rock which is probably a more accurate description. Bands like Ash and early Manics played fast catchy, noisy guitar music. If this was punk rock pop or not then I don't know but our music was similar to this and we were classed as guitar punk pop. Thats all I am saying in response to LWTAIT's point about punk these days is different to what punk was in the 70's or 80's.

Just to clarify, I do not think Ash or Early Manics is punk.

[quote name='Jase' post='392044' date='Jan 26 2009, 07:32 PM']Manics not punk? I'm no expert but in the early days they looked a little punk like.....didn't they? Punk Rock? So what's the real "punk" cos I've no idea..... punk to me is Sex Pistols and that's it, that's the only punk band I think I'm aware of. What exactly qualifies for punk? ;)[/quote]

This is some of the point. Original 70's punk was not only about music, it was more about fashion and attitude. Malcolm McLaren loved this and why fashion had such a strong influence on the whole scene. He was also the driving force behind the Sex pistols and the whole image. American punk was more of a backlash from rock which in the 70's had become very boring and soft.

Nowadays, if somebody is a punk they can be into anything. From the Sex Pistols, to Green Day, to the Clash, to Paramore, to The Damned, to Hendrix. There are so many different layers that anything goes. I guess it depends on what generation you are from.

[quote name='Linus27' post='392172' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:35 PM']I guess it depends on what generation you are from.[/quote]

I'm from the Epitaph/Fat Wreck/Dischord era I personally think that's when Punk peaked it was a oasis between the posers of the 70's and the modern pussy's with dyed black hair and jeans that are far too tight.

[quote name='Linus27' post='392176' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:41 PM']That also describes Indie music down to a T ;):)[/quote]

Since when has Indie Been fast or fun? have you heard Radiohead? or The Verve? I nearly slit my wrists thinking about them.

I should have added with an edge, Indie always sounds by-numbers to me.

Edited by waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='392179' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:44 PM']Since when has Indie Been fast or fun? have you heard Radiohead? or The Verve? I nearly slit my wrists thinking about them.

I should have added with an edge, Indie always sounds by-numbers to me.[/quote]

I'm thinking more this for Indie than Radiohead and The Verve.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYbB_xC3fk"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYbB_xC3fk[/url]

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zguGxVes6bI"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zguGxVes6bI[/url]

[quote name='Linus27' post='392238' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:51 PM']I'm thinking more this for Indie than Radiohead and The Verve.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYbB_xC3fk"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYbB_xC3fk[/url]

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zguGxVes6bI"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zguGxVes6bI[/url][/quote]

I like Kung Fu but it lacks bite and for some reason ( and I'm sure it's just me) I would find Manic Street Preachers boring if they were bungee jumping from the moon into the Grand Canyon while screwing Jenna Jameson and juggling 5 lions and an elephant whilst on fire.

Edited by waynepunkdude

I'm looking forward to February, The Gaslight Anthem, Alkaline Trio and Rise Against on tour. Seen Rise Against and Trio plenty of times before, but still get excited at the thought of getting down the front and screaming my head off to every word. As for the Gaslight Anthem, The '59 Sound was the best album of 2008, and I've been waiting a long time to see them, would have seen them already if not for a gig clash!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='392253' date='Jan 26 2009, 11:00 PM']I would find Manic Street Preachers boring if they were bungee jumping from the moon into the Grand Canyon while screwing Jenna Jameson and juggling 5 lions and an elephant whilst on fire.[/quote]

You have a point about the manics now but i remember seeing them just before the release of their first album, they played a little club in folkestone called the Metronome and they were very much punk. Dig out 'Generation Terrorists' and imagiine it raw, live with a large helping of balls.

[quote name='Linus27' post='392172' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:35 PM']This is some of the point. Original 70's punk was not only about music, it was more about fashion and attitude. Malcolm McLaren loved this and why fashion had such a strong influence on the whole scene. He was also the driving force behind the Sex pistols and the whole image. American punk was more of a backlash from rock which in the 70's had become very boring and soft.

Nowadays, if somebody is a punk they can be into anything. From the Sex Pistols, to Green Day, to the Clash, to Paramore, to The Damned, to Hendrix. There are so many different layers that anything goes. I guess it depends on what generation you are from.[/quote]

Well, I think if it depends on what generation someone is from then punk to me is........ a late 70's early 80's fashion / attitude / teenage rebellion, with very poorly played music.

The clip wayne replied with is NOT poorly played but has huge attitude!

I don't think Rock become boring and soft towards the late 70's but I can understand people looking for something easier to digest rather than..... for example the amount of pretentious Prog that was around.

I actually thought that "Prog" was something I [i]sort[/i] of enjoyed until I started digging deeper and found huge amounts of boredom....wonder what "Prog Punk" sounds like.....there's too much in most of Prog for me and far too little in any sort of Punk music.

What about the bands that were connected with race issues? Who were they?

• 1 month later...

I just listened to The Decline in its entirety for the first time in about 6 years and I knew all the words. How funny. It just came on iTunes when I had on shuffle and I didn’t skip it when 9 times out of 10 I normally would. I’m glad I didn’t.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='RussFM' post='392260' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:09 AM']I'm looking forward to February, The Gaslight Anthem, Alkaline Trio and Rise Against on tour. Seen Rise Against and Trio plenty of times before, but still get excited at the thought of getting down the front and screaming my head off to every word. As for the Gaslight Anthem, The '59 Sound was the best album of 2008, and I've been waiting a long time to see them, would have seen them already if not for a gig clash![/quote]

Second that for Gaslight Anthem; saw them Hyde Park Calling supporting/with Springsteen, then 02 Birmingham, seeing them next week at Hammersmith Apollo then November in Nottingham! Excessive some may say but for me one of the best bands in existence!

Edited by rob_89

Propagandhi are the modern punk/thrash band for me. I love them and NOFX - they have funny little 'digs' at each other in songs. Check out 'Supporting Caste' album - best album of 2009 IMO. Todd Kowalski is a great bassist too.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='392179' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:44 PM']Since when has Indie Been fast or fun? have you heard Radiohead? or The Verve? I nearly slit my wrists thinking about them.

I should have added with an edge, Indie always sounds by-numbers to me.[/quote]

See - what's happened is that apparently "Punk" is now a definition of a rigid music sound rather than an attitude, which it was when it first arrived. Personanlly I always preferred what became known as "New Wave" than what now classes as "Punk" which is essentially pretty dull and mostly sounds the same. Greatest Punk bands? The Fall and Frank Zappa - just playing a guitar very fast and shouting doesn't necessarily make you punk.

I find it frustrating that the same think has apparently happened to the term "Indie" too. Back in the day it covered everything npon-commercial, from the DKs to The Cocteau Twins, now both Punk and Indie apparently mean Green Day and The Killers. Boring both.