Why become a member? ×

Mundane plodding.

xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1390344983' post='2344456']
Adam Clayton has more good basslines than he does! :o
[/quote]

I'm no U2 fan, and I know he doesn't get much love on BC, but he 'plods' his way to the bank very comfortably it would seem :

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/adam-clayton-net-worth/

The thing about so called plodders like Adam Clayton is that they will invariably have a great sound
to fit the band. The feel must be there as well. You don't always need a great technical facility but
you do need to sound and feel good. If that is playing straight lines, then so be it.. but if the band or studio
can't get all that from the bass payer, he doesn't survive.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1390466166' post='2345629']
....I'm no U2 fan, and I know he doesn't get much love on BC, but he 'plods' his way to the bank very comfortably it would seem....
[/quote]

I’m happy to say I'm a fan. AC is a good player and exactly right for U2.

Mundane plodding is what weekend warriors do and doesn't even come close to describing the playing of bassists at the level of bands like U2, Stereophonics, Status Quo, ZZ Top etc.

While their playing might be simple, none of what they do is either "mundane" or "plodding".

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1390346262' post='2344478']
I've seen plenty of bassists who can play fast and do clever stuff but who can't get a simple groove actually grooving.
[/quote]

Oh yes, and drummers. And guitarists, come to think of it. Less really is more.
When we write a new song, by the end of the process there's always about 50% less of everything than when we started.
Should be 99% of course, but that's just my opinion... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1390482679' post='2345867']

Oh yes, and drummers. And guitarists, come to think of it. Less really is more.
When we write a new song, by the end of the process there's always about 50% less of everything than when we started.
Should be 99% of course, but that's just my opinion... :)
[/quote]

That's exactly how Booker T and the MGs (Duck Dunn) wrote. Record a day jamming, go away and listen to the recordings and strip the songs right back down to basics.

I used to be in a rock covers band playing the usual ac-dc, phonics, KOL, etc stuff yawwwnnnnn in which the set would last a life time, dont get me wrong though I loved most of the tracks, but I rightly agree very boring to play.

Last two years been playing in a Ska band, different kettle of fish now, some excellent tunes to play, very busy on the fretboard and the set fly's by with every gig leaving me wanting to play another set! :)

After reading a previous thread about natural aptitude, I wondered if there was a test for natural aptitude for bass players. My conclusion ....

If you can play along to "Green Onions" without the slightest temptation to vary the bass line, you're a natural.

If you can do it with Booker T, try the versions by Al Kooper or Roy Buchanan.