Why become a member? ×

Weight of Fender Precision basses - what do you like?

tedmanzie

My Nate Mendel is 7.8lbs. Bonkers - my (significantly more aircraft grade) Kingbass is 8.5lbs.

My 5 string is a gnats under 9.

My 2 jazz's are 9.2 lbs and feel weighty date a period of unuse.

It's a big deal with my upper back costing £100's to fix and routine maintainence.

But, some posh straps do help.

No clue what my imminent Status Groove weighs, but heart overruled head on that one.

Although I largely do not care about instrument weight (I do consider myself lucky, am not ignoring the fact others require light weight instruments) I did sell my six string solid mahogany Chris Larkin Bassix because it was unpleasant for me to play. I used to move (jump) around a lot back in those days playing hardcore/metal/funk crossover and that axe kept lagging behind because of its weight.

Heaviest bass I own is strangely also probably the smallest, an EBMM Sterling bass. Beats me why it is so heavy for such a small bass... Sounds DA BOMB though!
My P (Nate Mendel sig) is pleasantly Light.

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1392476823' post='2369207']
I have no idea how much my Rick weighs, I have no weighing devices in the house at the moment, but I am enjoying the fact that it's 2014 and not a single post has been in metric!
[/quote]

My Bitsa P weighs 370 [i]šiqlu.[/i]

My Precision is a fair old lump, I have never weighed it though but have always known that it is much lighter than my Gibson EB3, which is frankly ridiculous. If I really wanted a guaranteed lightweight Precision I would probably go in the Sadowsky/Mike Lull etc direction. Fenders tend to vary a fair bit.