Why become a member? ×

Best delay choice?

Finbar

Okay, so here's the story. Need a good delay pedal. I've already got a DD3, but this isn't good as a normal delay, its too hard to get it to sound right without a tap tempo. So it is basically used for making noises. I also have a DL4, but this is always kept in loop mode. I use it for looping with the half speed/reverse settings and with the play once feature, so I can't really use a different looper and use the DL4 for delays.

So I basically want a new delay pedal. What's the best one? I was looking at...

Boss DD-5 - One's come up cheapish with an external switch, and I'm tempted by it.
EHX Stereo Memory Man - Looks pretty good and has a tap tempo
Subdecay Echobox - Like the sound of it, but I can't get along with not having a tap tempo I don't think
Akai Headrush - This would give me more possibilities for looping (I get the feeling that it is better for looping than the DL4, if I didn't use the DL4's play once setting etc), but I don't know if the delays on it are good enough to buy it as a dedicated delay unit
Line 6 DL4 - could get a second one... I'm not too fussed about footprint, but these things ARE big, and I don't need all the extra stuff it has on it - I just want one good delay sound. Expensive too.

So yeah... any ideas?

I really want something in a metal case ideally, with a tap tempo switch (none of this DD6 'hold down to initiate tap tempo mode' rubbish), true bypass would be nice. Like I say, not too fussed about footprint. Warm and natural sounding is a plus. And price IS an issue. I don't have a set budget, but I'll want to keep the price as low as is reasonably possible.

Ta ducks :)

Edited by Finbar

I've owned DD-20, DL-4, Echo Park etc.

And I've settled on the new ElectroHarmonix for now. Has all the modes, presets, etc. True Bypass, Tap Tempo, no hum etc. Solid as.

I'm sure I'll change again in a couple of years when the next generation hits, but for now this ticks all the boxes (but I also have a dirty little analogue delay stashed away for special occasions).

How long do you need this delay to be? I had a play with the new Behringer Vintage Delay - that's true analogue and sounds sweet. A friend with good taste also rates the new MXR designed by Mr. Way Huge (the Carbon Copy).

Edited by dangerboy

Marshall echohead! It has tap tempo if you plug in a momentary footswitch.

EDIT: And is generally a great pedal all round, works great with bass, has several modes all of which are useful, it's made of metal etc.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='Toasted' post='231134' date='Jul 2 2008, 09:56 AM']Do yourself a favour and get a Timefactor :)[/quote]
Do you mean the [url="http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/StompBoxes/TimeFactor.aspx"]Eventide[/url] box? That's £280-£300 right there, for a delay pedal. Ow!

Not looking for anything that expensive :huh: I like my effects, and believe in getting good quality ones where possible, but you have to draw a line somewhere :)

I've not really liked the Echo Park when I've tried it before, and the tap tempo isn't really that convenient to use IMO.

[quote name='Finbar' post='231278' date='Jul 2 2008, 01:09 PM']Not looking for anything that expensive :huh: I like my effects, and believe in getting good quality ones where possible, but you have to draw a line somewhere :)

I've not really liked the Echo Park when I've tried it before, and the tap tempo isn't really that convenient to use IMO.[/quote]

The Echo Park is the best you'll get in a single stomp box format. Ironically, I've found the tap tempo to be the most convenient to use, when it comes to the single stompers.

Try the echohead, seriously. I know it's a cheap pedal, but that doesn't mean it'll sound cheap. It'll save you money, and it's dead easy to get a foot switch for tap tempo, and much easier to use than any pedal with one footswitch that you have to hold down or whatever to turn on the tap tempo.

I'm surprised no-one has used the B-word yet: [b]Behringer[/b], and their [url="http://behringer.com/DD600/index.cfm?lang=ENG"]DD600[/url]. Has anyone tried that one?

Another FX maker I'm aware of is [b]t.c. electronic[/b], who do a pedal called the [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/NovaDelay.asp"]NovaDelay[/url]. Looks very nice indeed, but might also be a bit feature-rich. There's one on t'Bay for [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TC-Electronic-ND-1-Nova-Delay-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-FIX_W0QQitemZ110265404560QQcmdZViewItem"]62.97[/url] from, the USA (plus postage).

[quote name='cheddatom' post='231311' date='Jul 2 2008, 01:48 PM']Try the echohead, seriously. I know it's a cheap pedal, but that doesn't mean it'll sound cheap. It'll save you money, and it's dead easy to get a foot switch for tap tempo, and much easier to use than any pedal with one footswitch that you have to hold down or whatever to turn on the tap tempo.[/quote]

+1 on the echohead. It sounds brilliant with bass. At one point i was going to buy another because i liked several of the sounds the pedal has to offer.