Why become a member? ×

OK, it's not complicated....

Conan

I think there are lots of underrated basslines in WA material and often it's not easy (for me at least) to pick it out by ear. I'd love a really good set of transcriptions for their classics. Apparently Martin Turner was going to do a book of them at one point but it never happened.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1389025560' post='2328963']
But what a nice, interesting bass part this track has!

Gets going at around 2:35:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myLNa0dFMPo[/media]
[/quote]

It's trickier than it sounds! Awesome tone. I love early WA, the Martin Turner version doing the rounds are damn good too.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1389099772' post='2329838']
Awesome tone.[/quote]

Isn't it? B) What was he playing in the early seventies? I've seen him with T-birds and Rics, but this track sounds like a P bass to my ears...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1389099772' post='2329838']
It's trickier than it sounds! Awesome tone. I love early WA, [b]the Martin Turner version doing the rounds are damn good too[/b].
[/quote]
Indeed they are, and with Tim the new drummer they sound invigorated. Played with MT's Wishbone so many times that they've become "on the road" buddies. They are the funniest guys to have a post gig drink with. Inevitably during the course of the early hours Ray and Danny will produce their ukes and kazoos and a jolly good if not 'surreal' singsong will ensue.
Oh, and Argus... great album! Think it won an NME or Melody Maker poll for best produced album of 197?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1389100967' post='2329862']
Isn't it? B) What was he playing in the early seventies? I've seen him with T-birds and Rics, but this track sounds like a P bass to my ears...
[/quote]

Well... To my ears, this is the classic Thunderbird front pickup tone through and through. MT has a very similar tone these days (although not quite as gritty) when he plays his Thunderbird.
However, in his autobiography, MT insists he used his Rickenbacker 4001 to record Argus, even pointing out how people assume it's the thunderbird because it was pictured in the album sleeve. MT'sWA recently re-recorded Argus and he played the Rick again - I haven't heard it myself but I can't believe the original Argus is a Rick. There are plenty of Youtube clips of MT playing his Rick and it doesn't sound like Argus at all.

Now, Pilgrimage - [i]that[/i] sounds like a Rick! :D

The debut album was recorded before MT owned a proper bass so he played a rented Fender Jazz with flats. He didn't think much of the sound...