Why become a member? ×

Custom Ear Protection or jump for IEMs

citymariner

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1389261886' post='2331952']
What's the best way to approach this ? Trip to the GP?

I notice the local ACS place is in the Leeds General Infirmary Boots
[/quote]

It's dead straight forward. I've had a few IEMS made now.

Basically, get yourself an appointment there with the instuction that it's for taking ear impressions for a custom moulded in ear monitor.

When you get there, they'll check in your ear to make sure all looks good. If you've got a build up of wax, you'll have to get your ears cleaned out which may delay the process slightly. If all good (and it usually is), they'll take some impressions - this involves squirting a silicon type mix into your ears and effectively waiting for it to set before being removed. Then, that gets shipped to, in this case, ACS.

Most impressions for musicians are taken as open mouth impressions (especially with acrylic IEMs), with a bit block between your teeth. ACS seem to go for closed mouth impressions. My ACS are from closed mouth impressions and they fit perfectly.

It's no biggy - dealing with overseas manufacturers is no sweat either. Just send you impressions to them.

I found that the goo did an excellent job of blocking everything out! I had mine done at the London Bass Guitat Show a couple of years ago and I noticed that while the goo was in and setting, the attenuation was actually pretty good and didn't muffle low end too much (i.e. I could still hear everybody clearly slapping away in a tiny exhibition centre)

I love my ACS moulded plugs, they are one of the best investments I have ever made in my music setup

Easy:

Leeds- David Ormerod Hearing Centres

Audiology Department

Hearing & Balance Centre

The General Infirmary, Brotherton Wing

Leeds

LS1 3EX

Telephone: 0845 270 0992

Distance from LEEDS: Less than 1 Mile

Hearing Aid Department

1st Floor, Chancellor's Wing

St James's University Hospital

Leeds

LS9 7TF

Distance from LEEDS: 1.4 Miles

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1389345460' post='2333006']
The fitting must play a very important role. If I'm going to spend that much I want to find some where good
[/quote]

even tho its done in boots or specsavers its a acs rep who actually does it so the quality will be the same, if you go with acs that is.

andy

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389350018' post='2333070']
Easy:

Audiology Department

Hearing & Balance Centre

The General Infirmary, Brotherton Wing

Leeds

LS1 3EX

Distance from LEEDS: Less than 1 Mile

Hearing Aid Department

1st Floor, Chancellor's Wing

St James's University Hospital

Leeds

LS9 7TF

Distance from LEEDS: 1.4 Miles
[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote name='BruceBass3901' timestamp='1388750841' post='2325522']
I have the ACS PRO 17 moulded plugs (the £140 set) and I cannot recommend them enough. I'm afraid that I cannot say anything about the T3s, but if all you want is protection, the ACS PRO range is fantastic.
[/quote]

Me too and likewise, I can't recommend them enough. The only thing that takes a little getting used to is the isolation between songs - you still hear the audience but they are somewhat distant. The upside is you hear everything you play because nothing gets lost in the mush on stage.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1389354277' post='2333139']
....The only thing that takes a little getting used to is the isolation between songs....
[/quote]

+1

But stick with the hearing protection.

From what they tell us, that "isolation" is what you will experience 24hrs a day if you have seriously damaged your hearing playing or listening to loud music.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389358597' post='2333239']
+1

But stick with the hearing protection.

From what they tell us, that "isolation" is what you will experience 24hrs a day if you have seriously damaged your hearing playing or listening to loud music.
[/quote]

Tell me all about it. My high frequencies are screwed. Tinnitus a plenty as well, which can really mess with your head :( . However my ACS 20's allow me to rock out at the weekend, whilst providing the best protection for what's left of my hearing. The secret is to get your ear protection sorted before you develop hearing loss/tinnitus. However the Audiologist I attended says this is rarely the case, with the majority of musicians looking for plugs after the damage is done. Sadly this was the case with me as well. You never miss the water till the well runs dry
So well done to the OP getting his moulded plugs. Stick with them and never take them out during a gig.

Edited by leroydiamond