Why become a member? ×

Custom Ear Protection or jump for IEMs

citymariner

Hey all,

Well, crimbo and my birthday have been and gone now and I've a pot of money I've been saving to get some custom ear protection.

The only company I've really considered is ACS. Why? Well my Dad has just had a pair of the custom moulds up for work (he works in a power station so lots of frequencies at very high dBs). He says they are fantastic. He says how when on a job they can talk to one another whilst leaving the protection in place. Before, they'd either quickly remove the protection to shout at one another or they'd leave the job to find somewhere quieter.

Now recently I've noticed sustained ringing after gigs, we are no louder, playing nowhere differently so I'm thinking its my ears. Ive had them checked they are OK but the doc did say that even 2 short but sustained exposures to high dBs will take its toll.

I've around £300 so my options are slim.

ACS hearing protection at £140ish (can always by the T15 in ear drivers at a later date for £150)
ACS T3s at £249

My concerns:

Will the T3s protect my ears being half moulds?
Will the T3s, being single driver, be enough for a live rock band?

I like the idea of silicon over acrylic moulds - are there any other companies I should be looking at?

I know there has been a similar thread to this, but it seems, having read it, that it has moved into the realms of £1000s so has gone off my radar as such.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

CM

I've got the ACS custom filters, and I went for the T15s just before Xmas for a real wireless IEM solution. They work really well, the single drivers are more than enough for me to hear everything that's going on, and I'm not as deaf as a post by the end of a gig (and for days afterward). They're a little fiddly to get in place, but once they're in, it's all good.

I think if you have multiple drivers to listen to music already, you might notice the single driver in the T15, but I don't, so I don't, as it were.

I like the option of being able to use the filters at other gigs, too - they really are good: your Dad's right, you can have conversations with people perfectly well while they're struggling with the noise...

Many thanks, both of you, for your quick replies.

Muzz, your scenario sounds exactly the same as mine. I'd like the flexibility of them being pure hearing protection with the bonus of having the option of them being transformed into IEMs if so required. Out of interest which filters do you have, Muzz?

BruceBass, I was looking at the PRO 20s based on their synopsis. Did they recommend the 17s or did you just go for them on the back of the description?

Many thanks, again.

I got mine at the London Bass Guitar Show a couple of years ago and when I expressed an interest in the PRO 20s, the guy on the stand recommended the PRO 17s instead based on the idea that the 20s have a less linear attentuation. The 17s provide plenty of attenuation for me and I have worn them when both performing in and observing pretty loud situations.

Hope that helps :)

ive got the acs ear protection aswell, really comfy i use the 15's in a loud metal band so im sure you be fine.

i think the filters are pretty cheap so you could always grab a set of the 17's and if you think it might be louder stick those in, for me its the fact they they dnt mess up the sound! normal ear plugs for me anyway get a muffled sound, and also dnt go in my ears the same way each time these do so i just get a quieter version of what actually happening

andy

ACS custom moulds are fantastic. Wish I got them before I developed hearing issues and tinnitus. I have been using 20's for several years and regular visits to the audiologists indicate that they provide superb protection.
Some basschatters might have issues with spending £150 on ear protection, but for me they are the best value piece of kit on the market.
The cheap and cheerful generic alternatives are a risky option IMO.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1388762720' post='2325762']
I use the little blue xmas trees and have been for a couple of years. I'm totally used to them now and can't play / go to gigs without them.

Will the ACS 15 improve the sound I hear over my current protection ?
[/quote]

massively!

after about 5 mins i forget the acs plugs are in the sound is that clear nothing muddy like some ear plugs

andy

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1389102275' post='2329898']
I'm like that now with my xmas trees
[/quote]
but the custom fit moulds offer a much safer option when it comes to protection IMO and IME. I had been using the xmas trees for a couple of years thinking that I was protecting my hearing. However subsequent to developing tinnitus and a visit to an audiologist, who had a good giggle when I produced my xmas trees, i had no hesitation in opting for moulded plugs. The difference is night and day.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1389132091' post='2330548']
but the custom fit moulds offer a much safer option when it comes to protection IMO and IME. I had been using the xmas trees for a couple of years thinking that I was protecting my hearing. However subsequent to developing tinnitus and a visit to an audiologist, who had a good giggle when I produced my xmas trees, i had no hesitation in opting for moulded plugs. The difference is night and day.
[/quote]

my problem was that they always fell out! a right pain if only one goes!

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1389133148' post='2330557']
my problem was that they always fell out! a right pain if only one goes!
[/quote]

If the mould is an accurate impression of the ear canal it should fit nice and tight. If they are falling out its my guess that something may have possibly gone wrong when the impression was being made. A properly moulded plug should not be prone to falling out IMO.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1389134144' post='2330585']
If the mould is an accurate impression of the ear canal it should fit nice and tight. If they are falling out its my guess that something may have possibly gone wrong when the impression was being made. A properly moulded plug should not be prone to falling out IMO.
[/quote]

oh no im talking about the trees! my in ear moulds dnt budge there awesome!

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1389136561' post='2330641']
oh no im talking about the trees! my in ear moulds dnt budge there awesome!

andy
[/quote]

Not surprised. To be honest the xmas trees are a bit of a Joke IMO. To think that these cheap and cheerful products might offer proper protection for all ear canals regardless of shape ( remember no two ear canals are identical) just does not figure.