Why become a member? ×

Berg CN/HD212 vs Agie DB212

Arabesque-bass

Hi folks,

All the best for 2014!

I'm breaking my head over the following.

I own a Berg NV610 which is an awesome cab.
I also own an older 112 Berg (don't know exactly the series)

I like the 12" sound very much!! Not as agressive and a thicker bottom.

Now the questions:

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the NV610 with the Berg HD212 or CN212 or the Agie DB212.
I'm thinking of getting 2 212 cabs. One for the smaller gigs and 2 for the earthquake situations ;-)

Thanks!!

Hey. This is a good question!

I personally have not played the CN/HD cabinets, although I have heard VERY good things about both. Apparently, despite the failry high weight of the HD212, the cab absolutely slams and is very much a one cab solution.

The Aguilar DB212/112 cabs are still my favourite cabinets made for bass guitar, so far anyway. I have a new GB NX2 212T which is MUCH lighter and easier to move, but I still need to A/B it with the Aguilar DB212.

A few years ago, you could pick up DB112's for £450 new (with tweeter) and the DB212 was about £700. As much as I realise costs increase, the prices recently have shot up. I imagine this might be due to Aguilar now having a distributor in the UK, instead of selling direct. Aguilar are becoming quite a big brand; I just hope they stick to what they do best! (I've noticed more and more general music stores stocking it).

I have heeard reviews stating the CN212 is quite similar to the DB212 sound. I say 'similar' as it might not be the same...

Thanks!!

I had the chance A/B-ing the NV610 and 2 DB212's once. Unfortunately the room was quite small. The 2 DB's
blasted like a hurricane!! Unfortunately the Berg's cannot be tested here in Holland...

A 15" is not a welcome speaker in most of the clubs and bars. But I cannot judge on the NV115 as it is not available
Holland.....

[quote name='Arabesque-bass' timestamp='1388667920' post='2324522']
Thanks!!

I had the chance A/B-ing the NV610 and 2 DB212's once. Unfortunately the room was quite small. The 2 DB's
blasted like a hurricane!! Unfortunately the Berg's cannot be tested here in Holland...

A 15" is not a welcome speaker in most of the clubs and bars. But I cannot judge on the NV115 as it is not available
Holland.....
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry so much about size (although I realise lot of brands tend to voice their 10" loaded cabs as tight and punchy, and 15" loaded cabs as more bass and low mid orientated) but look more at the voicing of the cabinet as a whole.

The Aguilar DB12s are voiced to blend and be heard in the mix, so lots of mid-mid push, with plenty of sparkle up top. For a comparison, the Aguilar GS112s are the same speaker, but the cab sounds totally different, (very low end extended, a mid scoop).

The Berg NV115 will be super tight and punchy as its a sealed cab, and no doubt Jim Bergantino voiced it to give it a more classic vibe (eg less low end flub). The mids should be great as it has a mid driver.

I used to own two DB212s, but I sold them to get one 4 ohm DB212. I wish I had kept the two 8 ohm cabs now! But, I've never needed more than one.

Indeed, it won't be as boomy as a ported 15. They're getting rave reviews these cabs and I'm hoping to audition and maybe buy one later this year.

And I agree with the point above - some 2x12s and 4x10s have more lows than some 15s, it's down to the driver and box design more than speaker size, so try not to listen with your eyes!

Can't really comment on the CN212 altho I have tried the CN112 paired up.
But................ I do own the DB212, Berg AE112's and have owned GS112's.

I rate the CN112's and think they are a step up on past Berg NEO's... but that was shop volume
so I don't think I could have a definitive opinion on them with so little time on them, admittedly.

I can say that the DB212 blows the 2xAE112's out of the water, IMO.
I run mine with a Thunderfunk and DB750..altho anytime the DB212 comes out, so does the

The DB cab may be a pretty basic cab but it is voiced well and strongly across the range.
The tweeter works well...and the tune is where it scores over the Berg AE's. You would expect
a strong mid presense with the Bergs and to a degree you get it....and I would have settled
for that, had I not brought a DB212. This DB cab is immense with a 5.... full and powerful but not over bassey at all.
This allows the basses character to come through and the mid to hi end is there over a loud powerful band.
I run my basses with actives for the most part, and you can hear definition from middey slides and slurs to
snappy poppy clicks and this is not an easy thing at all for cabs to deal with. I can't or wont have the cabs running
a thunky clunky sound as that destroys the sparkle and presense I need, and the DB gets it just right.
The Bergs may do it with additional EQ'ing but then that is just too much hassle when flicking between basses and
I am set up to plug and play so don't need or want a sound check every single gig, tbh. and then I would probably loose
the bottom of the Bergs anyway. They will handle the lows, for sure, but at the expense elsewhere, whereas the
DB is more balanced, IMO...for me.
GS cabs will do this to a very minor degree but you need very lively strings for that and once they have gone... it is a struggle.

For me, the DB has the full low end...prominent but subtle enough mids and high end.
I really don't consider this a high end spec cab...but they have hit the nail on the head and it just works, IMO.

I also run 2xDB210's and I consider the DB212 better voiced ...fuller, which you might expect and not shy mid wise over the 10's..

Weird, but, IMO, true so basically the DB212 gets all the gigs now that the DB210's used to.
The Bergs are relegated to that lightweight awkward carry gig and probably soon to be sold.

Edited by JTUK

I sold my pair of HD112 to get (at the moment) a single CN112

They do sound different. The CN has a bit more mid. When played alone I would say the HD is more pleasing, but in a band mix the CN sits in the mix a bit more prominently. A bit of EQ can get them very close to each other though.

I would have been happy to keep the HD cabs, but the weight reduction was the important thing for me. The orchestra rehearsal venue I go to every week has loads of steps and long corridors so I needed that weight loss!

EDIT: I own a Genx Streamliner 900 and a Shuttle 9.2. I preferred the HD with the Shuttle and the CN with the Streamliner. But I've never been that picky and either would be fine.

I did have a GS112 for a while, but I never got a chance to really crank it up so I don't think I can give a fair comparison, and it was a few years ago. Doubt I'd remember a tone accurately!

Edited by fretmeister

I'm the happy owner of fretmeister's HD112's and they kick like a mule!

I'm also the happy owner of a HD212. This has a slightly more crisp tone than a pair of 112s; it's not hugely different in sound to my old 6x10 cab.

There's much love in my home for the HD berg cabs (yep that does include the wife and kids). The only problem with the 212 is the fact it contains dark matter; well that's the only reason I can think of that something that size weighs as much as it does. It's not exceptionally heavy, just heavier than you'd expect.

Edited by Dave_the_bass

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1388758700' post='2325686']
I'm the happy owner of fretmeister's HD112's and they kick like a mule!

I'm also the happy owner of a HD212. This has a slightly more crisp tone than a pair of 112s; it's not hugely different in sound to my old 6x10 cab.

There's much love in my home for the HD berg cabs (yep that does include the wife and kids). The only problem with the 212 is the fact it contains dark matter; well that's the only reason I can think of that something that size weighs as much as it does. It's not exceptionally heavy, just heavier than you'd expect.
[/quote]
One of the best cabs on the market, I only sold my hd212 was because of the weight, awesome piece of gear!

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1388763307' post='2325776']
One of the best cabs on the market, I only sold my hd212 was because of the weight, awesome piece of gear!
[/quote]

I have to say that I suspect I might like the HD cabs more than I like my AE's...
but I am not saying the AE's are bad cabs, far from it.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1388776471' post='2326003']

I have to say that I suspect I might like the HD cabs more than I like my AE's...
but I am not saying the AE's are bad cabs, far from it.
[/quote]
I was never a fan of the ae112, I owned a pair from new for around 12 months and couldn't wait to loose them. Too harsh in the high mids not enough low mid punch, quite brittle sounding I thought. The HD cabs by comparison give warmth and detail with quite a sweet top end.
Cn212 is like a mixture of the mid forward ae410 and some hd212 muscle, very hard to fault really.

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1388833567' post='2326515']

It's your HD212 that I bought from Richardd :D
[/quote]
I really loved that cab it was actually the 2nd hd212 that I have owned, having sold the original one because of its weight. I missed the tone so I bought a second! Powered it with a shuttle 9.0 and it was smokin! Would be interested to hear how it sounds with my shuttle 9.2!

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1388843722' post='2326727']

I really loved that cab it was actually the 2nd hd212 that I have owned, having sold the original one because of its weight. I missed the tone so I bought a second! Powered it with a shuttle 9.0 and it was smokin! Would be interested to hear how it sounds with my shuttle 9.2!
[/quote]

Mmmm, I'm seeing a, Cilla Black hosted, tearful reunion in the not too distant future. Give me a few weeks to get all of the post Christmas stuff out of the way and we'll sort out getting together for some loudness.

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1388851196' post='2326859']

Mmmm, I'm seeing a, Cilla Black hosted, tearful reunion in the not too distant future. Give me a few weeks to get all of the post Christmas stuff out of the way and we'll sort out getting together for some loudness.
[/quote]
Nice

All the cabs mentioned so far in this thread are good, even great.

But they all sound different enough to have for and against views.

I don't do heavy gear so I'd get the CN212, but I'd also keep the NV610 until you've road tested the next cab and decided which way you want to go.