Why become a member? ×

The overdrive best suited for me?

Guinness21

Hi :)

I'm currently planning a pedalboard - I've got my TC Electronic Mini Spark booster, and it looks like I'll be getting my hands on a W&C TFR in the near future. I'm now looking at overdrives.

To be honest, the B3K by itself sounds a bit too metallic for my liking, but I reckon in a band setting it would cut through the mix really well - especially as both guitarists in my band are distorted. Also, I've heard one with a tall font russian and it sounded ace!

The Darkglass Vintage is probably the least appealing contender. I've heard a lot of people say negative things about this, and a lot of them pointed out that it's an average od pedal - which is remarkable considering the price tag! However, then I saw this video - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-TKjoFQZqo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-TKjoFQZqo[/url] . Not mad on the vintage by itself, but the sound of both the vintage and the b3k together is incredible!

For a while I was weighing up the choice between the b7k or the b3k and something like a tone hammer. Then somebody cough* thanks DiMarco *cough smartly suggested I sort out the overdrive first, then see if I need an eq.

I know the Ashdown hyperdrive is VERY different to all of the above, but watching this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQDSDA929Sw - where LoMenzo dials the pedal in himself, I really like the sound it produces. At a fraction of the price!

Tbh I don't know too much about the blueberry, but having done a quick youtube search I like what I heard!

So what do I do? Do I go b3k knowing that it sounds good with one of the other pedals I'll be getting, or combine it with the vintage? Do I get the b7k and not have to worry abut sorting an eq, or use the b7k as a clean boost with one of the others as the od pedal? Or do I just get the lomenzo hyperdrive, or the blueberry?

Perhaps what I'm seeking is probably somewhere between a classic, warm overdrive and a modern, metallic sounding overdrive. Any recommendations based on all this info (Sorry for length of post) that aren't listed above? ANy help would be much appreciated, thankyooouuu :D

If you are serious about spending so much money on pedals, I would advise that you go somewhere that has all the options in stock (such as http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/contact-us-1-w.asp) and try them out, preferably with your own rig.

That is the only way of truly cutting through the forum hype and BS

Guest FretNoMore

It's really hard to recommend a dirt pedal, it depends so much on your taste, music style, and what gear you will pair it with. The only good advice is really to try pedals in person if you can. Otherwise you can only do as much listening and reading reviews online as possible, weigh all of that together, and then take your chances. And then do it all over again because what you bought didn't quite give you that sound you have in your head. Been there, done that, still looking. :)

What I will say though, is it doesn't hurt if the pedal you choose has a blend and/or an EQ built in so you can tweak the sound a bit.

Edited by FretNoMore

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1388738139' post='2325356']
It's really hard to recommend a dirt pedal, it depends so much on your taste, music style, and what gear you will pair it with. The only good advice is really to try pedals in person if you can. Otherwise you can only do as much listening and reading reviews online as possible, weigh all of that together, and then take your chances. And then do it all over again because what you bought didn't quite give you that sound you have in your head. Been there, done that, still looking. :)

What I will say though, is it doesn't hurt if the pedal you choose has a blend and/or an EQ built in so you can tweak the sound a bit.
[/quote]
+1

Checking out youtube demos only gets you so far. The differences can be very subtle and difficult to describe on paper. The only way you're really going to find out which you prefer is by trying them in person, and even then you'll probably end up looking around for something else that gives you just a little bit more of what you like about your choice.

It's a long and potentially expensive process. :(

I appreciate that it's difficult, tbh no music shops stock any of the aforementioned pedals near me - as it's going to involve stopping over somewhere by london to try these, I want to be sure of what the contenders are.

chrismuzz, which do you prefer with the sansamp?

Am I right in assuming that the md blueberry isn't capable of the darkglass vmt vintage od sound, or the b3k metallic sounding od, but has a big variety in sounds in between the two?

FretNoMore, to give you a bit more info - my band plays a mix of all sorts; from Saturday Night by the Misfits, to Monkey Wrench by the Foo Fighters, to Radar Love by Golden Earring, to Hot Stuff by Donna Summer, to Three Days Grace cover of The Chain... I was thinking the other day, and while I have a couple of iconic bass lines/solos, I don't play any of them without one of the two distorted guitars playing the same line.

I play a Epi classic pro t-bird, but will be buying a new bass in the near future. I play through a fender rumble 75, and will be using it alongside a W&C tfr, a TLC compressor, and a TC mini spark. It depends on which I get - if I don't get the b7k then I will be getting an eq, something like the tone hammer.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1388766771' post='2325844']
chrismuzz, which do you prefer with the sansamp?
[/quote]

The difference isn't going to be noticeable to non bass players but I prefer the b3k definitely. It's less noisy, less artificial sounding / metallic but still sounds evil! But I prefer alll three together... If you're gonna fork out for a b3k and sansamp you might as well get the lomenzo as well ;)

I posted some bedroom bass covers on here a year ago using sansamp/lomenzo/Marshall jackhammer, and that's nowhere near how good those pedals COULD sound together so that might give you a fair idea. Please note I cut a lot of lows for my bass tone so if you think it's lacking in that area, it doesn't have to be!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='Alfie' timestamp='1388778800' post='2326038']
Or buy a better amp
[/quote]

Haha! Yes but why do things properly? That's not fun!!

To be fair though I don't think I'd get such a cutting sound if I didn't play through markbass amps. My weird combination of budget passive basses, lots of pedals and yellow amps gives me a result I'm more than happy with....

...until GAS strikes again!! :lol:

Thing about the Lomenzo video you've linked to there is that he's running an Aphex Exciter pedal, Aphex Compressor pedal and it's all run in to an Ashdown pre amp so it's very hard to get that sound from it.

I know you'll think i'm stupid for saying this but I just got given a Boss SD-1 (yes, the guitar pedal) for christmas by a friend and it's what i've been searching for for years tonally. It adds a nice crackle to the string sound and doesn't make your bass sound fuzzy. You can pick them up for around £20 too! I've got one for my bass board and one for my guitar board.

That's my recommendation any way. It's worth checking it out, especially to get that sort of tone you linked in the first video.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1388779053' post='2326046']
Don't have the transport for a likely bigger amp right now
[/quote]

Better isn't necessarily bigger with the small light gear available these days - what are you using right now?

I was going to suggest the Catalinbread SFT, but I tried an Ashdown MiBass micro head recently and it sounded very similar - there's one of these for sale on here right now for £260!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Biaeothanata-Bassist' timestamp='1388929874' post='2327696']
Thing about the Lomenzo video you've linked to there is that he's running an Aphex Exciter pedal, Aphex Compressor pedal and it's all run in to an Ashdown pre amp so it's very hard to get that sound from it.

I know you'll think i'm stupid for saying this but I just got given a Boss SD-1 (yes, the guitar pedal) for christmas by a friend and it's what i've been searching for for years tonally. It adds a nice crackle to the string sound and doesn't make your bass sound fuzzy. You can pick them up for around £20 too! I've got one for my bass board and one for my guitar board.

That's my recommendation any way. It's worth checking it out, especially to get that sort of tone you linked in the first video.
[/quote]

I love the Marshall jackhammer on bass and that's a guitar pedal!

That's a fair point about the ashdown vid, so in reality the hyperdrive won't sound as good as in that video.

I currently play through a Fender rumble 75 - decent enough size for when the band goes gigging, can handle decent sized venues.

I think it's between the b3k and blueberry now. If i decide I want an eq in there, I can always upgrade to a b7k. Tbh, i've recently been considering the sansamp bddi - don't know why I haven't done so sooner.

As the overdrive will be played with a tall font russian, i was just wondering if one might be better to work with the fuzz. I know the tfr is mid-scooped, and the nature dial on the blueberry means the od sound can be applied to specifically mids if I want.