Why become a member? ×

Quiet bass. How to get more volume?

Linus27

My passive ESP Jazz bass has a very low volume output compared to any other bass I own or have owned. It has a set of Bartonlini pickups which sound amazing but the volume is so quiet. I have tried adjusting the pickup/string height but it did not make that much difference.

Is there any other way to gain more volume? Different pickups?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1388411299' post='2321663']
Turn up the input gain on your amp.
[/quote]

Then I would have to keep adjusting the gain when I swap basses over. Don't have the problem switching between other basses, just this one is much quieter.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1388415822' post='2321722']
Those pups aren't usually quiet are they. Think I would try another set of pups in the first instance or at least get the barts checked out. Have you tested them with a meter?
[/quote]

Never actually considered if something was wrong with the pickups. They have been on the bass since 1989 and only really noticed it recently as I have been switching between this bass which is fretless and a fretted bass live.

1989 is a long time, could try getting a magnet and see if they are both same polarity pointing up. Do both pickups attacked or repel. Also is the output quieter in the mid centre position. Just reminded myself of this on a recent upgrade, if you have low volume when centred and then each pickup gets noticeably louder as soon as you move off centre position one pickup is wired arse about face. Other than that, must be the actual winding of those pups just low output in comparison.

[quote name='Grissle' timestamp='1388444226' post='2322165']
If its active look for a trim pot in the circuitry. Or maybe the other bass is just overly hot? Just more to think about.
[/quote]
This is passive. Stupid question here but how does a bass become hot?
How can he make this s one hotter to be the same?

Thanks for all the tips and info everyone. I think a new wiring kit is the best step to take first. Both volume pots seem to be working as they should, comparing it to my Fender Jazz. The tone is only making a subtle difference moving from both extremes.

Sorry I didn't realise that you needed to swap quickly between basses of different output levels.

TBH I've always found J type basses to be a little low when it come to output compared with other passive basses. If we're doing a gig with other bassists using my rig I always have to whack up the gain for anyone with a Jazz Bass.