Why become a member? ×

I think I wanna sell my stingray....but I am not sure!

aende

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1387828610' post='2316272']
It is a single humbucker pickup with a simple pre amp. I don't need an Ed Friedland review to tell me about a bass I used exclusively for 10 years, tbh.
When I think Stingray, I think classic Louis Johnson and the sound of those days have long gone.
I think the reason people get a Stingray is for a specific sound...
[/quote]

I use Stingrays almost exclusively for everything I play - it's not for a specific sound - they cover all genres incredibly well. Anybody with a bit of skill can get a Louis Johnson sound, a Bernard Edwards sound or a Flea sound or a 'generic bass sound' amongst others with one.

But the point here is the OP wonders if he ll miss his Ray if he sells it. I suspect he will but only my opinion.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1387828610' post='2316272']
It is a single humbucker pickup with a simple pre amp. I don't need an Ed Friedland review to tell me about a bass I used exclusively for 10 years, tbh.
When I think Stingray, I think classic Louis Johnson and the sound of those days have long gone.
I think the reason people get a Stingray is for a specific sound...
[/quote]

well, think again :)

I don't think I play anything sounding like Louis Johnson at all. You can certainly go for that sound, but many people play Stingrays and choose different tones. Nothing wrong with not liking it, of course, but "one trick pony" seems quite a bad description *to me*.

I've had my SR5 since '99... Doing music for a living since then with an average of 3-6 gigs per week. Here's what I think in short:

As a bass player I'd say - never sell a quality bass (as the MM is one, regardless of if you like the tone or not). You will regret later.

As a SR lover - I can see where everyone saying it's a one trick pony are coming from. The SR's presence in the mix, the low - low mid thump is always there. That never changes no matter what knobs you turn. However, mine is 3 EQ and it's quite versatile. I can dial pretty much any sound (need to position my right hand accordingly) with ease, sounds great with a pick, fingers or slap. I could never get the Jaco tone, but check this out - this girl nails it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHMs8f5G2mQ[/media]

Now the StingRay is a rare beast... It could be a bless and a curse. The low mid focus and its signature sound strips down and exposes your playing so much that if your timing isn't perfect, everyone will hear it. If your timing is perfect, again everyone will hear it :). Unlike most of the other basses who are more or less player friendly and have nice rounded lows which really integrates the playing within the mix nicely, with the SR you have to be perfect. Which is a great thing because you can always hear your mistakes and makes you improve and become a better player.

I have a littlemark 2 and I find it better sounding with the Ray paired with my Schroeder 21012 cab rather than with the 310 Epifani (which is by the way much more transparent). The Schroeder adds a mid frequency focus to the Ray sound and honestly, there's nothing more I could ever want from my sound. And I've tried dozens of amps and cabs.
My other setup is ampeg svt2p to a PreSonus studio channel to a QSC power amp, again same here but with much more versatility and the lovely tubey warmth from the ampeg.
Also with the Ray (at least mine) you can get ridiculously low action, if you aren't a heavy player. You can be gentle and play close to the neck, to be surrounded by a nice bassy soft sound, or you can dig in by the pickup and get that earth-shaking uncompromising sound that says - I'm here, but I'm sure you've already noticed that. With my playing I can even get synth - like sound, come see me playing Ain't nobody - no effects needed.

Of course I wanna have 10 basses, I own a Fender jazz which I prefer for some gigs (but not many), but if I was allowed to have only 1 bass, that would have been the Ray5.

In conclusion I'd say, if you're comfortable with the neck and the general way it feels, DON'T sell it! You will find the right tone through playing and experience. Save money, in the meantime try as many other basses as you can (best on a gig or at least rehearsal), and whenever you save enough - go and buy one more. And then one more :).

Steff

Edited by Steff

There is no different tone in it.... you can hear them a mile off.
You always have that unmistakeable Ray sound. Not everyone
goes for the same same sound, of course, but the character is there..always.

You wouldn't use one otherwise....
It is as much a unique sound as a Jazz or a P, or a Smith...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1388016399' post='2317954']
There is no different tone in it.... you can hear them a mile off.
You always have that unmistakeable Ray sound. Not everyone
goes for the same same sound, of course, but the character is there..always.

You wouldn't use one otherwise....
It is as much a unique sound as a Jazz or a P, or a Smith...
[/quote]

Well yes the character is there but that is true of any bass. How about a Ric - people overlook the fact Paul McCartney, Chris Squire and Lemmy sounded totally different on a similar instrument. But it doesn't take much skill to get a vast array of sounds from a Ray - but you need skill in the fingers to unlock it.

How diverse can you get between Tim Commerford, Louis Johnson and Bernard Edwards ......... and Carl Raddle, Pino Palladino etc etc etc. and you can tweak the tone controls to adjust your sound. In 35 yrs of playing them, I've found them far from a one trick pony - that adage is yet another silly internet myth.

There can be few other bass models which have shown such a range of signature sounds on recorded media as stated above.

So JTUK I have to completely disagree with you!!

This [quote name='JazzRay' timestamp='1388243611' post='2319876']
Keep it AND buy a P J, you can't go wrong then
[/quote]

I remember many years ago I was looking at my first 5 string purchase but didn't know which way to go. There was a big, live, open air gig on the tv with lots of big names (I can't remember the event) but the all the bass players whose tone really stood out were playing Ray 5s, this decided my first 5 string buy and I wasn't disappointed; wish I'd've kept it, but then hindsight is a marvellous thing and GAS is a mean old S.O.B.

Edited by ezbass

I thought about selling mine earlier in the year, even advertised it. Now I play it almost exclusively, hardly ever take a spare and since I started using a Genz I have to say I'm really satisfied with my sound. I run a little bit of compression and set the gain for a bit of dirt, doesn't always have to sound like Flea but it will if you want it to.