Why become a member? ×

Status Bass Strings

BetaFunk

I want to buy a couple of sets of Status Flatwound Strings for my Short Scales basses.

Below is what it says about them on their website. Anyone know what the 'speaking' length means?

SHORT SCALE
Round-wound, half-wound, flat-wound or vintage black nylon strings are available.
They have a 'speaking' length of 832mm ( 32 3/4" ) which makes them suitable
for most 30" scale basses.
(Please check length to make sure they work on your bass).

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1387222531' post='2309590']
As far as I'm aware it's the part not covered with silk.
My favourite flats BTW, and a bargain too!
[/quote]
Thanks for that. They really look like a bargain for the price.

I'm wondering if they will be long enough as the 'speaking length' is 32 3/4 inches. I've measured the G string on two of my old Short Scales Basses (1960s VOX Clubman & Burns Sonic both with inline tuners) and from the bridge to the tuning peg it's 37 inches. Maybe i'll have to give them a call unless anyone has Status Short Scale Strings and knows the actual length.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1387223267' post='2309606']
Thanks for that. They really look like a bargain for the price.

I'm wondering if they will be long enough as the 'speaking length' is 32 1/2 inches. I've measured the G string on two of my old Short Scales Basses (1960s VOX Clubman & Burns Sonic both with inline tuners) and from the bridge to the tuning peg it's 37 inches. Maybe i'll have to give them a call unless anyone has Status Short Scale Strings and knows the actual length.
[/quote]

Email or call them - not only bargains but excellent customer service as well.

If you were to read the String Information page it explains the term speaking length.

You need a speaking length greater than the distance from the ball to the nut. With a semi acoustic bass with tailpiece you may well need a medium or even long length string even for a short scale length.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1387279267' post='2310075']
The "speaking length" is the maximum "usable" length of the string. In other words, its the maximum distance you can have between the ball end of the string and the nut. Measure what this distance is, you'll probably find that you need medium or long scale strings, even though its a short scale bass.
[/quote]+1 that is how I understand it aswell

I bought some double ball end flats from Status for my Hohner B2A and, with the silks at the bridge end, the flat winding actually finishes before you get to the bridge. I am assuming this isn't an issue but it does look a bit odd.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1387223385' post='2309612']
Email or call them - not only bargains but excellent customer service as well.
[/quote]
+1

Phoned them yesterday and they sorted out what i wanted and even phoned me back after i'd placed the order on the net because they were low on some strings. Great service.

They also said that they are reviewing their strings and may not be stocking some short and medium scale strings in the future.