Why become a member? ×

Painting 2 basses. With emulsion as a primer.

tommorichards

So, after the thread in technical, i went ahead and started using emulsion as a primer. Ive then gone and started another one with the same emulsion as a primer.

This one is my take on a fret-king super 80 bass, but with dimarzio pickups and more switching options. Its got a tele style and jaguar style control plate. Ive had to do some serious filling on this bass as i moved one of the pickup routes further bridgewise, and its a ply body. So its going to end up being orange with black hardware. Its been emulsioned, sanded smoothish at the end, and now sprayed orange with rattle can paint from bnq. Ive finished the spraying, and now just waiting for the paint to cure and harden. Its looking promising so far. This is it at its current stage in life

And the headstock which i started paint after the body, so not orange yet.

The other bass is a sabre inspired piece with a jazz style body, and two guitar style humbuckers. Itll be finished in gloss black with a mirror red pickguard.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as you get a good basecoat, get it smooth & the topcoat doesn't react to it (crack, bubble, not stick), then it should be fine. I would go & get some lacquer/varnish & give it several thin coats to protect it from scratches, etc.

But yeah, looking good so far. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just for the record; I worked in a paint shop and love cheap options for getting round expensive products, but I really can't imagine emulsion lasting very long. It may work if you thinned it enough to really bind with the wood fibers, but on the whole I can't imagine it being a particularly effective solution.

You can buy a primer/under coat by Johnstone's called Joncryl that is pretty in expensive and I would think to be a much better job. It would dry as fast as an emulsion too.

Good luck with this either way, I'm more than content that in practice you can be proved wrong!

I'm impressed! I don't think there's any reason it can't work - with the correct technique and materials, but I'd take care to make sure everything is fully cured before moving on.
Mixing paint types or substituting primers / sealers can work just fine, but are unpredictable.

I wish you the best with what looks like some cool projects. Thanks for sharing. Please let us know if things go well, and if they don't we'd appreciate the results also. Well I'd appreciate the results of this experiment anyway. I would also like to compliment the choice of colour - very nice shade if the picture is anything to go by!